Baking food at home has become more popular than it ever was.
Food manufacturers have created products that enable people to bake their own meals with ease, so they don’t need to spend money on restaurant-quality dishes.
What Is The Best Air Fryer For Baked Potatoes?
Air frying or “air cooking” is a method of cooking where food is suspended above hot oil or another heated surface without touching it.
Air fryers are small appliances designed for this purpose.
You place your food inside them while turning the appliance on and wait until your meal is cooked.
The process takes less time than traditional methods and leaves behind no grease stains.
You can use any type of potato as long as it doesn’t contain preservatives such as sugar, salt, or other additives.
Most recipes call for baking potatoes but there are also variations available that include sweet potatoes, yams, and even corn cobs.
The following recipe uses baking potatoes because they tend to hold up well when cooked.
If you would like to try something different, check out our list of the best air fryer recipes.
- 5 Best Baked Potatoes Recipes 2019 – This list includes both classic and modern recipes.
- 11 Best Potato Recipes – These recipes use all types of potatoes including sweet potatoes, russets, and reds.
- 1 large potato (baking)
- Olive Oil
- Garlic powder
These ingredients will give your baked potato flavor and texture.
They may seem like basic spices but adding a little bit of each one gives your baked potato its unique taste.
Step by step instructions for making baked potatoes using air fryer
Here is how to cook baked potatoes in an air fryer:
Tips for baking potatoes in an air fryer
When preparing your potatoes, cut them into equal sized pieces.
Small chunks of potato will likely fall apart during cooking.
Cooking times vary depending on the size of the potato.
Make sure you test your potatoes after 20 minutes to ensure they aren’t overcooked.
Turn off the air fryer once the potatoes reach the desired temperature.
If you want to add some extra flavor to your baked potatoes, sprinkle garlic powder over the top before placing them in the air fryer.
Allspice adds depth to your baked potatoes too.
Add a pinch of it directly onto the potatoes instead of sprinkling it on the entire mixture.
How Do You Make Air Fryer Baked Potatoes?
You can use your air fryer as a baking pan or oven, but there are certain foods that aren’t suitable for this method due to their texture.
Air frying works well when cooking breads, cakes, cookies, chicken wings, fish fillets, vegetables, and other foods that cook quickly, such as french fries.
However, some foods like starchy foods like mashed potatoes, which require longer cooking times, won’t turn out right if cooked using an air fryer.
If you want to try making air fryer baked potatoes, we recommend taking a look at our article on how to make homemade mashed potatoes.
Here’s what you need to know about preparing them yourself:
- Buy a good quality baking tray that will fit inside your air fryer basket.
- Cut the potatoes into wedges or cubes depending on the size of your air fryer basket.
- Place the cut pieces onto the baking tray.
- Sprinkle salt over the top to add flavor.
- Cover the baking tray with foil and place it under the air fryer basket.
- Cook the potatoes until golden brown – approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve immediately.
Read on to find out more about air fryer baked potatoes.
What Is The Nutritional Value Of An Air Fryer Baked Potato?
The first thing you should know about air frying is that this method uses very little oil or fat.
Air fryers use hot air instead of oil to cook your food.
The process doesn’t involve any heat transfer from one substance to another.
Instead, air fryers use convection heating which allows them to achieve high temperatures without needing much energy.
As such, they are perfect for cooking foods like baked potatoes because there isn’t any grease involved.
When baking food using an air fryer, you will notice how crispy it becomes.
You won’t get the same crispiness if you try to cook the same meal under traditional conditions.
While baking food in a conventional oven may result in crisper skin, it also results in some of the nutrients being lost during cooking.
However, when you bake food in an air fryer, these problems disappear.
When you bake potatoes in an air fryer, the skin gets browned but still retains most of its moisture.
In fact, air fryer baked potatoes retain up to 90% of the original volume of the raw potato after cooking!
That means that you can eat an entire baked potato while losing almost none of the calories compared to eating a regular potato cooked by traditional methods.
Are Air Fryer Baked Potatoes Healthy?
The answer to this question depends on what you mean by “healthy.”
If you want to know if your air fryer baked potato will help reduce your risk for heart disease or diabetes, then yes, it probably does.
However, there isn’t much research available yet that shows whether air fryer baked potatoes are as good for you as other types of baked potatoes (such as baking them in the oven).
There is some evidence that suggests air fryer baked potatoes may contain less fat than traditional baked potatoes.
That said, most experts agree that eating too much processed foods like french fries is not good for your health.
Eating lots of these foods increases your chances of developing diseases such as diabetes and heart disease because they increase your body’s insulin resistance.
One way to make sure your air fryer baked potato doesn’t break this rule is to eat it alongside real food instead of just dipping into it.
You should also try to avoid adding extra toppings to baked potatoes since those things tend to add even more unhealthy fats.
How Many Calories Are In An Air Fryer Baked Potato?
A baked potato cooked by the traditional method contains around 400 calories per medium sized potato.
Some of these calories come from the fat content within the skin of the potato itself, but most come from the butter or margarine used for cooking and seasoning.
However, if you use a baking tray instead of oil, then your baked potato will contain much less fat.
Air frying also reduces the amount of salt and other additives found in regular baked potatoes because it does not require them.
So how many calories are in an air fryer baked potato?
Well, this depends on which type of air fryer you choose to make one.
The calorie count will vary depending on the model chosen, but the average number should fall somewhere between 150 and 200 calories.
How Do You Know When Air Fryer Baked Potatoes Are Done?
When baking foods using an air fryer, knowing how long to cook them for is important because there isn’t a lot of room for variation.
You want your air fryer baked potatoes to come out as perfectly cooked as possible.
The trick here is not to overcook them so they lose all of their crunchiness.
If you take too much time cooking, then they will end up being soggy instead of crispy.
You should also avoid undercooking them if you want them to maintain some of its moisture content.
So what does “done” mean exactly?
Well, that depends entirely upon who you ask.
Some prefer them slightly warm while others like them piping hot.
But regardless of whether or not you think they are perfect, we recommend taking them off the heat once they reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit (73 degrees Celsius).
What Is The Best Way To Reheat Air Fryer Baked Potatoes?
The first thing you should check before cooking your next batch of air fryer baked potatoes is how long they will last after being cooked.
Air frying causes foods to lose moisture quickly, which means you may want to eat them sooner rather than later.
However, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t enjoy these tasty treats for several days or even weeks if you keep them well refrigerated. The key is not to overcook them as this will cause them to dry out too much.
If you’re wondering what happens to your air fryer baked potatoes once they’ve been eaten, then this article is perfect for you!
Keep reading below to discover all about how to reheat air fryer baked potatoes and what else you can do with your leftovers.
Reheating methods for air fryer baked potatoes
- Microwave – To heat up your air fryer baked potato, place one in a microwave safe container. Microwaves are great for heating small quantities of food but larger items like this recipe require a different method. Check our guide to microwaving food here.
- Oven – You can also use an oven to reheat your air fryer baked potatoes by placing them directly onto the shelf above the burner. Heat until warmed through, then let cool down completely before eating.
- Broiler – If you don’t fancy any of the previous options, then you can always try broiling your air fryer baked potato instead. Use a non-stick pan and cook over high heat for around 3 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Can You Freeze Air Fryer Baked Potatoes?
This question comes up all of the time when I talk about baking foods in my air fryer, as many people want to know if they can freeze the air fryer baked potato for later use or just eat it right away.
The answer is yes!
You can freeze most baked goods because they are usually not too moist after being frozen.
That said, there are certain things that may not work well once you thaw them out.
The main thing to keep in mind here is how long you plan to store these items before eating them.
If you do decide to freeze your baked goods, make sure you wrap them tightly first, then put them into freezer bags.
If you try to cram this item into a plastic bag, the moisture will cause condensation which could ruin the quality of your food.
How to Freeze Air Fryer Baked Potato Chips
Potato chips are another common type of baked good that can be frozen.
However, unlike regular baked potatoes, these chips have been cooked using oil instead of butter.
Therefore, they tend to absorb water from the environment easily.
To prevent this from happening, place your frozen chips directly inside your vacuum sealable container.
Once you remove the lid, press down firmly on each chip until you feel resistance.
Then close the lid and leave the rest of the chips inside the container until you are ready to take them out again.
How to Reheat Frozen Air Fryer Baked Potato Chips
When you bring your frozen chips back to life by microwaving, you should follow the instructions below:
- Put one layer of chips on a microwave safe plate or bowl, making sure to spread them out evenly.
- Microwave on high power for 2 minutes per half cup of chips (this depends on the size of your plate/bowl).
- Remove the chips from the microwave and let sit for 1 minute.
- Repeat step two until every piece of chip is heated through.
You can also reheat your chips in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness of the chips.
What Are Some Creative Ways To Serve Air Fryer Baked Potatoes?
You can make your very own potato cakes or fries by using the air fryer baking tray.
These are also known as “air fryer baked potatoes.”
You will find these recipes online, but if you want to give it a go yourself, then here’s how to do it!
- Step 1 – Wash all of your potatoes thoroughly under running water. Then cut them into equal halves.
- Step 2 – Place each half inside the air fryer basket and cover them with oil from the bottom up until they are covered completely.
- Step 3 – Air fry the potatoes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 20 minutes.
The best thing about this recipe is that there aren’t many steps involved, so anyone who isn’t comfortable working with hot oil should feel safe trying out this recipe.
If you’re worried about burning anything, just turn down the temperature slightly when cooking.
What Are Some Tips For
If you want the best results from your baking project, follow these steps carefully:
- Prepare all of the required ingredients before starting to cook.
- Preheat the oven by turning it on while you prepare everything else.
- Make sure there is no liquid around when placing the potato pieces into the pot.
- Place the baking tray inside the air fryer basket once the cooking process begins.
- Set the temperature on high if possible (the higher the better).
- Cook until the desired level of crispiness is reached.
- Remove the pan from the air fryer after 10 minutes or less.
- 1 Air fryer
- 3 russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon oilve oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspôn garlic powder
- Place your potatoes in the Air Fryer basket, and spray with olive oil on both sides to prevent the sticking.
- Garlic and sea salt should be applied evenly, turning the potatoes as you go.
- Use your hands to rub the potatoes to make sure everything are well covered.
- Cook until fork tender in the Air Fryer at 400 degrees for around 40 to 50 minutes.