A Betty Crocker brownie recipe is one of those baked goods that everyone loves.
These delicious treats come out looking like they’ve been cooked but no oven was ever used.
The batter is poured into an ungreased pan and left alone until it sets up.
This means there’s no baking involved at all!
What Are The Ingredients In A Betty Crocker Brownie Recipe?
The most important ingredient in any brownie recipe is the chocolate.
All other ingredients vary depending on what kind of brownie you want to bake.
Here are some examples of common ingredients found in Betty Crocker recipes:
- Chocolate chips (milk chocolate or dark)
- Butter (unsalted)
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
There are many more ingredients than these included in a typical Betty Crocker brownie recipe.
Some ingredients are necessary while others can be replaced with another product if desired.
For example, cocoa powder replaces melted chocolate for a milk chocolate brownie, so just choose which type of brownie you prefer based on your preference for chocolate versus milk chocolates.
If you don’t have access to vanilla extract, use lemon juice instead.
If you want to add nuts, consider sprinkling them over the top after the brownie has cooled down completely.
How Do You Make A Betty Crocker Brownie?
Betty Crocker brownies are made from simple ingredients that are combined together with just enough mixing to form a thick paste.
There are several different recipes available online or on cookbooks, so let’s take a look at what each has to offer.
- The Original Betty Crocker Brownies Recipe – You can find this classic brownie recipe on any Betty Crocker website. Each batch requires eight eggs, two-thirds cup sugar, four tablespoons cocoa powder, one teaspoon salt, and two cups flour. These ingredients should be mixed thoroughly before pouring them into an 8×8 inch square cake tin. Bake these brownies for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
- Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies Recipe – This fudgy brownie recipe comes courtesy of Betty Crocker and contains only five ingredients. They include three whole eggs, half a stick of melted butter, five ounces semi sweet chocolate chips, and two-and-a-half cups flour. After everything is mixed together, pour the mixture into a greased 9×9 inch pan and bake for 25-30 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- Chocolate Chip Cookies & Cream Brownies Recipe – If you love cookies and cream ice cream then you’ll enjoy making these brownies. To start off, you need to put water into a saucepan over medium heat. Add 2/3 cup milk and 3 teaspoons vanilla extract. Once everything is warm add 1 package of instant chocolate pudding mix. Stir well until everything combines. Next, combine 4 large egg yolks with 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Then stir in 2 cups of flour. Finally, fold in 6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips. Pour this mixture into a 10 x 15 inch sheet pan and bake for 40 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit (163 degrees Celsius).
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Brownies Recipe – Lemon poppy seed cake brownies have always been my favorite because I love lemon anything. All you need for this recipe are five ingredients including three eggs beaten, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, one tablespoon lemon juice, one cup white sugar, one cup dark brown sugar, one cup self rising flour, and one teaspoon baking soda. Mix everything together thoroughly before adding it to a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius)
- Cocoa Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies Recipe – This recipe calls for six ingredients which includes three eggs, one ounce unsalted butter, one cup mini marshmallows, one cup sour cream, two cups flour, and one teaspoon baking powder. Combine everything together and spread this mixture into a 12 x 16 inch jelly roll pan. Bake for 45 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit (149 degrees Celsius).
What Is The Best Way To Store A Betty Crocker Brownie?
Betty Crocker Brownies are meant to be eaten straight from the fridge.
They don’t have any frosting or icing on them so they won’t go bad if stored too long in the refrigerator.
If you want to save some time by not having to bake these tasty treats yourself, then consider buying ready-to-bake brownies instead.
The only downside with this is that they will probably look different than homemade ones because they use pre-made mixes.
But if you really want your brownies to taste exactly how yours should, then you can always try making them from scratch.
When can you eat them?
You usually need to let Betty Crocker brownies cool completely before eating them.
However, depending on what kind of Betty Crocker brownie you buy, you may be able to take them out of the fridge earlier.
For example, you could pop a box of brownies in the microwave for about 30 seconds to warm them up enough to cut when needed.
Can I freeze Betty Crocker brownies?
No, you cannot freeze Betty Crocker brownies.
You would end up ruining their texture after freezing since they contain eggs.
Eggs thicken up once frozen and you wouldn’t get the same results as with fresh ones.
How Long Does A Betty Crocker Brownie Last?
Betty Crocker brownies can be stored in your cupboard or fridge for several days if kept cool and dry.
They will keep longer than other cakes because they don’t need any special storage conditions.
The texture changes over time though so you should eat them within two weeks after their first day on the shelf.
If you want to save them even further, freeze them individually wrapped in plastic wrap then place the frozen squares directly onto wax paper.
You could also use freezer bags which will make this process easier.
If you want something more substantial, these Betty Crocker brownies can be cut into bars and stored in the refrigerator.
These aren’t suitable for freezing however.
Storage tips for Betty Crocker brownies
- Store in an airtight container.
- Do not refrigerate for extended periods.
- Freeze for short-term storage only.
- Don’t attempt to reheat from frozen – defrosting takes too long.
What Are Some Common Problems People Have When Making Betty Crocker Brownies?
Betty Crocker has made many different types of brownies over the years, including some with nuts, others with coconut, some with white frosting on top, and more.
But there are two things most recipes share in common — their ease of preparation and their consistency.
You don’t need to know much about baking to make these tasty little morsels.
Just follow this simple recipe below and you’ll be whipping them up in no time.
- 1 cup (250g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (180ml) vegetable oil or shortening
- 6 ounces (170g) bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs plus 1 yolk
- 5 cups (1250g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 cups (750-1000g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup mini M&Ms (optional)
- White Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
The first step is melting your butter and other fats in a microwave safe bowl using medium heat settings.
Once melted, add your chocolate and stir well.
Then add the vanilla extract and mix thoroughly before adding the eggs.
Stir again before adding the sugar, salt, and flour.
Continue stirring and mixing until everything comes together nicely.
Finally, fold in the nuts and M&Ms if desired.
Pour the mixture into an 8×8 inch square cake pan and bake for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool fully before cutting into squares.
If you want something even easier, check out our easy homemade brownie recipe instead.
It only takes 4 ingredients and less than 20 minutes to prepare.
Here are some additional tips for making perfect Betty Crocker brownies…
What Are Some Tips For Making Perfect Betty Crocker Brownies?
While the batter itself isn’t difficult to make, there are several things people tend to forget about when making these tasty treats.
Here are a few tips on how to get the best results every time!
Don’t overmix your batter
Betty Crocker brownies often look pretty good right after pouring them in their pans, but if you try to move them too soon they will fall apart.
Wait until a thin layer has set before moving them onto a cooling rack or cutting board.
You want the surface of each brownie to be smooth so it doesn’t leave any cracks or gaps between pieces.
Grease your pan properly
The first step in getting great-looking brownies is greasing your pan correctly.
If you don’t grease it well enough, the batter won’t stick evenly.
To do this, start by using paper towels to wipe down the inside walls of the pan with vegetable oil spray.
Next, use the same method to coat the bottom of the pan with cooking spray.
When you’re finished, you should see lots of little bubbles forming around the edges of the pan where the coating meets the sides.
These bubbles mean you’re doing everything right!
Warm your mixing bowl
When we say “warm your mixing bowl” what we really mean is: warm up your mixer blade.
A cold mixer blade causes the batter to coagulate more quickly than it would otherwise.
So while you might think you need only mix a minute or two, it could take even longer depending on how thick your batter is.
Let your batter cool slowly
If your batter looks almost solid after 30 minutes of resting, then chances are it’s still hot enough to bake.
But if it’s already cooled off completely, then let it sit for another 45 minutes before putting it in the oven.
How Can You Tell When A Betty Crocker Brownie Is Done?
Betty Crocker Brownies have the appearance of being baked in their own little world.
They don’t need any sort of finishing touches to look great on your plate.
But how do you know if they’re ready to be devoured or not?
The good news is that these sweet treats aren’t hard to bake.
You just follow this simple guide and you’ll soon have yourself a batch of moist, fudgy, gooey goodness.
- First thing first, measure everything out correctly so things turn out right every time.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 Celsius).
- In a bowl combine melted unsalted butter with sugar using a hand mixer or whisk. If you use a fork, the mixture will get too thick after adding the egg yolks, so you might end up having to add more liquid next step.
- Beat the egg whites separately and then slowly incorporate them into the butter/sugar mix along with vanilla extract.
- Mix together dry ingredients including cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Add them to the wet ingredients and stir well.
- Pour batter evenly into greased 9-inch square baking dish. Bake for 18 minutes, rotating halfway through cooking time.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Common Mistakes When Baking Betty Crocker Brownies
- Not preheating enough – this leads to overbaked brownies which could fall apart easily.
- Over mixing the batter – again, this results in undercooked brownies. In addition, the texture won’t be smooth.
- Baking at too high temperature – this may result in burnt edges while leaving the center soft.
- Using greasy pans – this makes the cake stick to the sides of the pan and creates cracks in the surface.
What Are Some Common Mistakes People Make When Making Betty Crocker Brownies?
The most common mistake made by home cooks when following a Betty Crocker brownie recipe is leaving the batter in the refrigerator too long before using it.
This causes the batter to set up while sitting in the fridge.
When this happens, the brownie will be very hard.
Another popular mistake with Betty Crocker recipes is not greasing the bottom of the pan properly.
If your pan isn’t greased enough, the batter won’t spread evenly and may end up being thicker on top than below.
A thick layer of batter will prevent the heat from penetrating down through the entire cake, which could lead to overcooked edges or undercooked centers.
If you don’t want to worry about whether or not your brownies have been cooked correctly, try substituting half of the flour with cocoa powder instead.
Cocoa powder has similar properties to regular flour so you won’t miss out on any texture benefits from adding both types of flours together.
What Are Some Ways To Vary A Betty
The best thing about this particular recipe is how easy it is to customize the flavor.
There are three main components in these brownies: chocolate chips, nuts (or other dry fruits), and cocoa powder.
These can be mixed together or added separately depending on what you want your finished product to taste like.
- Chocolate Chips: You have several options here. If you use dark chocolate, the flavor will be more intense than if you choose milk chocolate. For extra credit, try using white chocolate instead of regular chocolate chips. You get more of a vanilla-like flavor with this type of chip.
- Nuts: Choosing which nut(s) to include depends entirely upon what kind of texture you prefer. Hazelnuts give off a nice crunchy texture while walnut pieces create a softer, creamier experience. Nuts also add fiber to your brownies so eat them slowly because who wants to feel full after eating too many nuts?!
- Cocoa Powder: Cocoa powder adds depth of flavor to any dish. Try adding a pinch to plain yogurt or oatmeal and then drizzling honey over top. Or mix equal parts cocoa powder and sugar to sweeten your cereal like Kellogg does.
- 1 Toaster Oven
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Put all of these ingredients into a ziploc bag for storage after whisking them together. The pantry should keep it fresh for six months.
- Bake the brownies at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- With a fork, stir the eggs, oil, and vanilla until barely combined. Avoid overmixing.
- Pour into a greased or silicone 9×9 pan. 20 to 25 minutes of baking.