Chicken palak is a classic Indian recipe that has been eaten for centuries.
The dish is a combination of tender chicken, creamy spinach, and aromatic spices.
It makes a simple yet delicious meal that is a treat to the palate.
In this chicken palak recipe, we will discuss what ingredients go into making this dish and how you can prepare it at home.
We will also look at how long it takes to prepare the dish and what you can do if you don’t have all the right ingredients.
What are the key ingredients needed to make a chicken palak recipe ?
As with all of the Indian Chicken Curry recipes on this site, the chicken palak recipe is based on a combination of yogurt and cream along with spices.
Also , you will need to start off with some meat and vegetables.
The most important ingredients are spinach, ginger, asafoetida, garlic, salt, and turmeric.
It is this combination that gives the chicken palak recipe its distinctive taste.
You will also need milk and yogurt to prepare the dish.
The ratio of the desired ingredients is important too.
For example if you want your chicken palak to be creamy , then using a lot of cream and yogurt is the best option.
However, if you want a more substantial meal without having to use so much cream or yogurt, then adding less of each will be better.
If you want to get creative in your own chicken palak recipes, then you can look at other combinations of spices and herbs .
How long does it usually take to prepare a chicken palak recipe ?
Chicken palak is fairly simple to cook and doesn’t require much preparation.
However , there are a few things that you need to keep in mind before you start your cooking:
- Choose the right type of chicken: You need one whole chicken for a palak recipe.
- Season the chicken: You can season the chicken with whatever spices you want.
- There is no set recipe; it’s up to you if you want to add any additional spice such as garlic or ginger .
- Inspect the chicken: Seasoned chicken should be browned before being cooked in the pressure cooker .
- Different cuts of chicken have different cooking time requirements.
- Chicken thighs should be cooked for about 20 minutes and breast pieces for about 10 minutes.
- Cook the spinach: Spinach is best when steamed and not boiled , so make sure to remove it from the boiling water during cooking.
- Prepare the sauce: Combine all ingredients for sauce and heat on low until ready.
Depending on your cooking skill level, preparation time can vary widely.
If you have already prepared all the other ingredients , you can cut down on time by prepping them separately before starting on the chicken:
Cooking the chicken: Cut up the chicken into smaller pieces and season it with salt, pepper , and any additional spices you want .
Place it into a container and marinate it overnight.
Preparing sauce: Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat .
Add onion, cook until slightly browned, then remove from pan (if onions are too crispy during cooking , they might give off an unpleasant smell).
Stir-frying vegetables in saucepan: Add vegetables (such as carrots) into fried onions along with tomatoes, bay leaves , garam masala powder, salt, pepper, garlic, ginger and chili powder.
Mix everything together well until tomatoes are pureed (this is usually done using a potato masher), then return everything to pot .
Is it possible to substitute any of the ingredients in a chicken palak recipe ?
It is very common to find that chicken palak recipes only contain spinach and spices .
This is because the classic Indian dish has a lot of distinctly Indian ingredients.
However , you can still substitute any of these ingredients in your palak recipe if you do not have them.
The only thing you need to keep in mind is that if the ingredient does not have a distinct taste or look like it should , it is best to leave it out of your palak dish.
How do you know when a chicken palak recipe is cooked properly ?
One of the most difficult parts of preparing a chicken palak recipe is knowing when it is cooked properly.
There are several factors to consider including the moisture level, color , and temperature of the dish .
If it is not well-cooked enough, your chicken palak will be too firm and very dry.
It should not be pink in color or have a lot of liquid remaining in it.
For a chicken palak recipe to be properly cooked, the chicken should be tender and juicy when you cut into it .
You can also test the doneness by carefully inserting a butter knife into one end of the chicken.
If it comes out completely clean or only lightly moist, then the chicken palak is ready to serve.
What is the best way to cook a chicken palak recipe ?
There are many variations of chicken palak, but the most common recipe has spinach, chicken, and spices such as ginger, garlic, and cumin.
For this reason, many people think that a chicken palak recipe can be made with whatever ingredients you have available .
However, before you cook this dish , it is important to understand the difference between a chicken palak recipe and other Indian dishes.
Other Indian recipes may use non-vegetarian meat and meat substitutes .
They rely on sauces to provide the same taste as meat because they do not contain any meat or meat substitutes.
Chicken palak recipes are vegetarian because they don’t use any animal products.
This means that there is no sauce involved .
The food consists of just vegetables and spices.
Although you can prepare a vegetarian dish without using any meat or meat substitutes , you should follow the preparation instructions for vegetable dishes to get the best results.
This will ensure that your palak tastes exactly like the real deal .
What kind of spices are used in a chicken palak recipe ?
Chicken palak is one of the most popular and famous Indian recipes .
This easy-to-make dish has been enjoyed by many people over the years, including Indians and non-Indians alike.
The recipe uses garam masala and tamarind paste , each of which has its own distinct flavor that enhances the dish’s robust taste.
There are many different variations of the chicken palak recipe .
While all versions have spinach, onion, ginger, garlic, and tomato as key ingredients , each recipe varies slightly from the others in terms of ingredients to mix with the chicken.
The most common variations include:
Are there any variations to the traditional chicken palak recipe ?
Chicken palak is a very simple dish and consists of just a few ingredients.
However, there are several variations of the recipe that some chefs in India have developed over the years .
The variations use different vegetables, chicken pieces , and number of spices.
Some chefs prefer to use their own spices in the mix when making the dish.
What are some tips for making a delicious chicken palak recipe ?
Chicken palak is a very simple dish to make and there are only a few ingredients that can be found in the market .
It is also an inexpensive dish to prepare as it only requires you to use chicken , spinach, and just a few other spices.
You can check out the list of ingredients below to help you prepare your chicken palak dish:
- Chicken breasts with or without skin.
- Sliced tomatoes.
- Palak leaves.
- Ginger garlic paste.
- Green chillies.
- Coconut oil or ghee.
Is there a way to make a healthier version of the chicken palak recipe ?
Chicken palak is a very rich and calorie-dense meal .
However, you can make a healthier version of the dish by substituting some of its ingredients with those that are low in calories and fat.
The following are some of the ingredients that you should use to make this healthier version of the chicken palak recipe:
Rice: You can substitute rice for the milk or yogurt and make sure to use brown or basmati rice for added flavor .
You can also opt for steamed rice as it is a healthier option.
Paneer: Cheese can be used instead of yogurt.
Plain paneer, Indian cheese , or cottage cheese will all work well in this dish.
Cilantro: This herb gives the dish a unique flavor.
It can be substituted with parsley if you don’t have fresh cilantro at home.
Tomato paste: This ingredient gives the dish more flavor and brings out its rich color.
You can replace it with diced tomatoes but it won’t taste exactly like the original recipe.
What kind of side dishes would pair well with a chicken palak recipe ?
Chicken palak is a quick-cooking dish that can be served with any side dish.
Some of the best side dishes to go with chicken palak include:
Mashed potatoes or other root vegetables
A vegetable side dish like sauteed spinach or sauteed broccoli florets
- Cooking Pan
- Silicone Spoon
- 1 kg Fresh Spinach blanched
- 1 Lb Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons Yogurt
- ½ teaspoon Deggi Mirch
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1½ teaspoons Kasoori methi
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1½ tablespoon Ghee
- 3 tablespoons Mustard Oil
- 3 pieces Moti Elaichi
- 2 pieces Bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 3 medium Onions pureed
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Ginger paste
- 2 small Green chilies crushed
- 3 medium Tomatoes pureed
- ½ teaspoon Red chili Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon Kasoori methi
- Salt to taste
- 1½ tablespoons Cream optional
STEP 1: BLANCH SPINACH
- Trim and clean the spinach leaves. Under cold water, thoroughly wash them.
- Burning water in a pan. Rinsed spinach leaves should be added, and it should boil for two to three minutes.
- After the spinach has finished boiling, remove the leaves with a slotted spoon and place them right away in a large dish of icy water.
- The cooking process will come to an end. After removing the spinach from the water, press the leaves firmly to remove all of the extra water. Make a little ball, then put it in a Ziploc bag for storage. Freeze in advance of use.
- Blend the spinach that has been blanched until it is smooth in a blender. The spinach has been blanched. Leave it alone.
STEP 2: MARINATE CHICKEN
- Combine yogurt (thick hanging curd), red chili powder, coriander powder, kasoori methi, garam masala, salt, and lemon juice in a sizable mixing dish. Until mixed, whisk.
STEP 3: COOK THE MARINATED CHICKEN
- In a large dish, put the cubes of chicken. Over the chicken cubes, pour the marinade.
- Make sure the chicken cubes are thoroughly coated by applying the marinade all over them. For 3–4 hours, cover and chill.
STEP 4: ASSEMBLING SPINACH AND CHICKEN TOGETHER
- In a pan, warm the mustard oil. The flavor of mustard oil is very potent. Therefore, heat mustard oil to the smoking point and then remove it from the flame to remove that strong flavor. Await cooling
- When preparing the masala, heating the mustard oil in a skillet and add the whole spices and cumin seeds.
- Add the onion and ginger-garlic paste as soon as the seeds begin to pop. To mingle, blend. until the oil begins to separate, sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and stir. To mingle, blend.
- Salt, coriander powder, chili powder, kasoori methi, garam masala, and all the other spices should be stirred in. Assemble by combining.
- The tomatoes should cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until the oil separates.
- the pureed spinach that has been blanched. To blend, stir.
- To the wilted spinach, add chicken pieces. On medium-low heat, cook for a further 3–4 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream last. After giving it a slight swirl, turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with white rice, rotis, or naan.