Chocolate mayonnaise cake — it’s one of those desserts that sounds crazy, but tastes amazing.
It’s so simple to make too!
The secret ingredient is mayo, which gives this cake its creamy texture.
If you want to impress your friends and family at dinner parties or get-togethers, try making this decadent dessert.
We have all the tips and tricks on how to make this tasty treat, plus we also explain what makes it different from other cakes.
What Are The Ingredients In A Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe?
You can find most recipes online using Google search engines like “chocolate mayonnaise cake recipe”.
However, if you really want to master this sweet creation, then there are some things you need to know first before going ahead with the recipe.
- The first thing you should look out for when buying the ingredients is whether they are natural or artificial. Natural ingredients contain no additives such as preservatives or colorings. Artificial ones are full of chemicals that are harmful to humans.
- Next, check the type of sugar used. There are two types: granulated and powdered sugar. Granulated sugar has more moisture than powdered sugar, which means it melts easily. If you prefer melted sugar over crunchy sugar, use granulated sugar.
- Some baking mixes include egg whites instead of whole eggs. Egg whites don’t provide much protein, so they won’t add much flavor. You can substitute them with 1/4 cup (50 grams) of heavy cream, half an egg yolk, or even 2 tablespoons of water. These options give you extra protein without affecting the taste of the final product.
- When choosing flour, always go for high quality organic flours. They are healthier and last longer compared to regular flour.
- Lastly, choose your fats carefully. Avoid butter because it doesn’t melt well. Instead, opt for coconut oil, vegetable oils, or dairy free margarine.
How Do You Make A Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake?
The first step to creating an awesome chocolate mayonnaise cake is making homemade mayonnaise.
Mayonnaise can be hard to find these days, especially if you live outside of North America.
If you don’t know where to buy it, check out our guide on buying mayonnaise online.
To start cooking this cake, you need some basic kitchen equipment like mixing bowls, saucepan, rubber spatula, baking pan, and measuring cups.
You can use a 9×13 inch square baking dish as well.
Once you have everything ready, here’s the next step in the process:
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, ¼ cup cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon baking powder, and ¾ cup sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract then mix until combined.
- Next, add oil, sour cream, and ½ cup water.
- Stir again and pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
While the cake bakes, prepare the frosting.
In a medium bowl, whisk together ⅔ cup powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, and 1 tablespoon butter.
Add more milk as needed to create a thick consistency.
When the cake has finished cooking, remove it from the oven and let cool completely before adding the frosting.
Once cooled, spread the frosting evenly over the top of the cake using a small offset spatula or knife.
Now, to finish off the cake, melt the remaining 4 ounces of dark chocolate by placing half of it in a double boiler (or heatproof bowl) set over simmering water).
When melted, stir in the rest of the powdered sugar until smooth.
Pour the mixture onto the center of the cake and gently drag the edge of the spoon through the middle to form a swirl pattern.
Repeat this action around the edges of the cake to form a border.
Refrigerate the cake for about 30 minutes to allow the chocolate layer to firm up before serving.
What Is The Best Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe?
The key ingredients in this cake are eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, butter, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, milk, sugar, and mayo.
You can find these items at most grocery stores and some specialty food shops as well.
You could use regular store bought mayo instead of homemade if you prefer, although homemade is much better because it has more flavor.
Also, using mayo that contains egg yolks means that when you bake this cake, there will be an extra layer of richness to the cake itself.
1. All About Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe
- Ingredients (for two 9 inch round cakes)
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups self-rising flour
- 1/8teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together 1 ½ cups of the flour, the salt, and the cream of tartar into a bowl. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add the melted butter slowly and mix until incorporated.
- Add the dry mixture gradually to the wet mixture while alternating between adding each addition and gently folding it in. Continue to add the dry mixture until no streaks remain before combining everything in the bowl.
- Mix in the cocoa powder and then the milk until just blended. Divide evenly between two greased and floured 8 x 4-inch loaf pans.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center of both loaves.
2. How To Make Cream Cheese Frosting For Chocolate Mayonnaise Cakes
This frosting is made with heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and cream cheese.
If you don’t like the taste of cream cheese, feel free to substitute sour cream or even plain yogurt.
- Ingredients (for 2 batches):
- 1 pound (16 ounces) full fat cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- Directions: In a stand mixer, whip the cream cheese and powdered sugar together until light and fluffy. Slowly incorporate the vanilla and milk until combined. Store leftovers in the fridge up to 3 days.
How Do You Keep A Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Moist?
This cake has a light and fluffy texture thanks to air whipped eggs.
That means there aren’t many ingredients in this cake, just flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, butter, sugar, vanilla extract, egg yolks, and cream cheese.
There are no leaveners like yeast or baking powder, which would add extra moisture to the batter.
The key to keeping the cake moist is using fresh cream cheese instead of sour cream.
Cream cheese contains more fat than most dairy products, giving it a higher melting point.
So if you don’t use fresh cream cheese, you should refrigerate the leftovers until they melt completely before adding them to the cake.
You can use sour cream as an alternative, but it won’t give the same result.
To prevent the cake from drying out during storage, cover it with plastic wrap or parchment paper once it’s cooled.
If you put it back into the fridge right away, the cake might become soggy again when you take it out later.
You can store the leftover cake up to 2 days.
Just slice off pieces and freeze them individually on waxed paper or aluminum foil.
Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator then serve cold.
What Is The Difference Between A Chocolate Cake And A Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake?
The name says it all here, right?
Well, not quite. While they both contain chocolate, these two types of cakes are very different in taste, appearance, and even ingredients.
A chocolate cake is made by adding cocoa powder into flour and baking soda (or bicarbonate of soda).
Chocolate mayonnaise cake does not use cocoa powder, nor does it include baking soda.
Instead, it uses mayo as an emulsifier.
So, if you like chocolate and you love mayonnaise, then this cake is definitely something for you!
But why would someone choose a chocolate mayonnaise cake over a regular chocolate cake?
Let us break down the differences below.
- Texture: A chocolate cake is denser than a chocolate mayonnaise cake because of the addition of cocoa powder. Also, due to the presence of eggs and sugar, it tends to stay dense after cooling. On the contrary, the mayonnaise helps create a lighter, airier crumb structure in this cake.
- Flavor: Chocolate mayonnaise cake has a milder flavor compared to a normal chocolate cake. This is because the mayo adds moisture, while the cocoa powder brings out the natural bitterness of the chocolate. However, some people prefer the intense flavor of dark chocolate over milk chocolate.
- Appearance: When you look at them side by side, there is no denying that the two cakes look completely different. One is light brown, fluffy, and soft, while the other is darker brown, more compact, and fluffier.
- Butter – 1/4 cup (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- Cocoa Powder – 2 teaspoons
- Eggs – 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Sugar – 1 ½ cups granulated sugar + ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- Mayonnaise – 1 can (12 ounces)
- Milk – 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Baking Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips – about 20 chips
Preheat oven to 350℉ / 180 C / gas mark 4.
In a small bowl, combine melted butter and cocoa powder until well mixed.
- Add eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract to a mixing bowl. Whip together using hand mixer or whisk vigorously until smooth and thickened.
- Next add half of the egg mixture to the bowl containing the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix remaining wet ingredients into the batter. Add cocoa mixture slowly, alternating between the first and second mixtures.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin tin liners.
- Sprinkle tops of each cake with granulated sugar and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool before removing from pan.
How Do You Make A Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake From Scratch?
You might think that making a chocolate mayonnaise cake would involve lots of complicated steps, but in reality, it’s quite simple.
Here’s everything you need to know about making this delicious dessert:
- Make sure your eggs are fresh. For best results, use organic eggs that haven’t been frozen.
- Use room temperature butter (or melted). If you melt your own butter, let it cool down completely before using it in the batter.
- Whisk together egg yolks, flour, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, baking soda and salt until they form a smooth mixture.
- Mix in the mayo slowly while whisking continuously. Once incorporated well and mixed, add in the rest of the ingredients except the milk, oil, and water.
- In separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients like flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Add them into the wet ingredients, alternating by hand.
- Add the milk, oil, and water as directed in the recipe.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake according to directions.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting and decorating.
What Is The Most Popular Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe?
The popularity of this cake has increased in recent years, especially since people started realizing just how good it actually is.
So if you are looking for an awesome chocolate mayonnaise cake recipe, then look no further than our guide here.
- Cake mix – there are many options out there when choosing a cake mix, but the best ones contain cocoa powder, eggs, oil, milk, flour, etc., depending on the flavor of the cake you want.
- Mayonnaise – mayo is the secret ingredient that gives this cake its unique taste. You can buy it readymade, but it might not taste as fresh and rich as homemade mayo.
- Milk – this isn’t something you need to worry about much, but some recipes call for low fat milk instead of regular milk.
How Do You Make A Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Without Mayonnaise?
The answer is quite simple: You don’t need mayonnaise in order to create this mouthwatering dessert!
There are several ways to make this cake without using mayonnaise as an ingredient.
- You can use whipped cream instead of mayo.
- Use melted butter instead of oil.
- Add cocoa powder.
- Substitute milk chocolate chips for semi-sweet ones.
- Replace the eggs with egg whites.
Let’s explore each option below.
1. Use Whipped Cream Instead of Mayonnaise
Whipping up fresh cream isn’t difficult if you already own a stand mixer.
However, whipping cream by hand takes time and patience, especially when you’re trying to whip heavy cream into stiff peaks.
If you’re looking for another way to prepare this delicious cake, then consider replacing part of the mayonnaise with whipped cream instead.
That means you won’t have to worry about the consistency either.
When choosing whipped cream, you must select the right kind.
Some varieties contain stabilizers and thickeners, which could affect the final outcome of your cake.
For best results, choose plain whipped cream with no additives.
Also, check out these alternatives for homemade whipped cream recipes.
2. Use Melted Butter Instead of Oil
Melting butter requires less effort than heating oil.
And while there are many benefits to using nonstick pans, they can sometimes result in burnt edges around food items.
So, melting butter is a better alternative because it doesn’t require extra attention after cooking.
Another great thing about baking with melted butter is that it keeps the cake moist.
When you bake something with oil, you end up with a greasy mess that never stays soft.
But when you bake with melted butter, you end up with a cake that retains moisture.
Plus, melted butter has fewer calories compared to oil.
3. Add Cocoa Powder
Adding cocoa powder to a baked good not only changes their color, but also adds depth of flavor.
Depending on how much cocoa powder you add, this cake can taste like coffee or dark chocolate depending on how sweet you decide to go.
To keep this recipe healthy, omit sugar entirely.
And since cocoa powder contains natural sugars, you might even enjoy this cake more than others, especially if you love sweets.
4. Replace Eggs With Egg Whites
Many people think that baking with eggs is necessary to produce light and fluffy cakes, but you actually don’t need them to achieve the same effect.
Using egg whites instead of whole eggs reduces the amount of fat in a dish, which helps you lose weight.
Egg yolks pack more nutrients per gram than egg whites, including vitamins B12 and D, selenium, copper, zinc, iron, and protein.
In addition, adding egg yolks increases the chances of developing heart disease over egg whites.
As such, swapping entire eggs for egg whites is preferable when preparing low-fat dishes.
5. Substitute Milk Chocolate Chips for Semi-Sweet Ones
Semi-sweet chocolate chips usually come in packages that contain multiple servings.
These chocolates aren’t very large, which means you can easily grab just enough chips to fill a cupcake tin.
They also melt quickly, which allows you to spread them evenly across your pan.
But if you prefer semi-sweet chocolate chips over regular ones, you should avoid using the former in this recipe.
While the latter provide a pleasant balance between bitter and sweet flavors, semi-sweet chocolate chips tend to overpower the overall experience. Instead, opt for semi-sweet chocolate chunks, which offer similar flavors to the original version, but are smaller.
What Are Some Variations Of A Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
The first thing people often ask about this recipe when they see it in our list is “how can I make it vegan?”
Well, if you don’t eat eggs, dairy products, or honey, then you won’t need them either.
If anything, though, it’ll taste better because there won’t be that much fat in it (aside from coconut oil).
You could also swap out the butter for extra virgin olive oil or even avocado oil.
You can use whatever flavor of cocoa powder you prefer as well.
This chocolate mayonnaise cake has been known to cause quite a stir among guests who love everything sweet and savory.
To prevent this from happening, keep things pretty basic.
Don’t add more than two ingredients to this cake.
Also, try not to go overboard with frosting.
Keep the icing very light and fluffy.
Lastly, remember that it doesn’t take long to bake this cake, so just leave yourself enough time to let it cool before serving it.
- 1 Oven
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup water lukewarm
- Set the oven to 350°F.
- A 9×13-inch baking dish should be greased and floured.
- In a big bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 30 minutes in a preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the dish comes out clean.
- Allow to totally cool.