A chopped cheese is a type of sandwich that is popular in the northeastern United States.
It consists of a hamburger bun, a cheeseburger, and some chopped onions on top.
What Type Of Cheese Do You Use For This Recipe?
The most common types of cheese used to make a chopped cheese are American cheddar or Swiss cheese.
Some people also add sliced deli meats such as salami or pepperoni to their sandwiches.
There are many variations of the chopped cheese depending on where it originated in America.
In New York City, one variation uses only chopped onions and no other ingredients.
Another version from Philadelphia includes tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, and peppers.
Another variation uses ground beef instead of a burger patty, but all the other components remain the same.
One final variation includes bacon strips along with the other ingredients.
If you’re looking for more information about chopped cheeses, check out these articles:
- Chef’s Choice: The Best Cheesesteaks You Can Buy (and Cook)
- Cheese Sandwich Recipe: A Classic That Is Easy To Make at Home!
- 5 Ways to Turn Any Sandwich Into a Hot Dog (or Not!)
- The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
- These 7 Delicious Sandwiches Are Your Go-To Comfort Foods
- 10 Great Salads For Summertime
- 15 Healthy Snacks and Treats for Kids This Halloween
- 9 Simple Meals With No Cooking Required
- 6 Awesomely Affordable Vegan Food Staples to Try Right Now
- 7 Quick And Easy Vegetarian Meal Ideas
- 8 Things You Should Never Eat Again After 50
- 4 Essential Tips for Making Better Breakfast Burritos
- 17 Cheap & Elegant Dinner Party Menu Ideas
- This Is What Happens When You Put 2,000 People On an Empty Plane At 30,000 Feet…
- This Is Why You Should Always Bring An Extra Bag Of Chips With You On Vacation
- This Is How I Learned My First Spanish Words From a Cat Named Lola
- I Got Married Over Twitter.
- Here’s How We Did It.
Tips for Chopping Your Own Cheese
You can choose any variety of cheese you like, but if you want to get creative, try using something unusual like blue cheese or feta.
If you don’t have time to prepare your own cheese, there are plenty of pre-made options available in supermarkets.
How Do You Chop The Cheese?
To make a chopped cheese, start by slicing your onion into thin strips with a knife or mandoline slicer.
Next, take two slices of bread (you can use white wheat if you want) and toast them until they’re lightly toasted.
Once it’s time to assemble your sandwiches, lay out one slice of toast and put a patty on each half.
Place an equal amount of thinly sliced onion between both patties.
Next, layer another slice of toast overtop of the onion-covered burger patty.
Now place the other patty directly atop the second piece of toast.
Finally, spread mustard onto the bottom slice of toast, then add the top slice of toast to form a sandwich.
Cut off any excess edges before serving.
What Other Ingredients Do You Need For This Recipe?
You’ll first have to prepare your burger patty.
The most common way to cook them is by pan-frying or grilling.
If you are using ground beef, you can also use a meat thermometer to ensure that the temperature reaches an internal temperature of 160F (71C).
You will then add toppings such as lettuce, tomato, pickles, mustard, ketchup, onion slices, and mayonnaise.
Finally, you’ll slice the cheese in half before placing it atop the burger and putting it inside the buns.
If you want to go all out with this recipe, you might consider adding bacon pieces to the mix too.
That would be one more ingredient you’d have to buy though if you don’t already own any.
You could always ask your butcher about getting some, but I think that would defeat the purpose of making this at home!
How Long Does It Take To Make This Recipe?
The time required to prepare a chopped cheese depends on how much food preparation experience you have.
If you are new to cooking or if you’ve never made sandwiches before, then expect to spend at least an hour preparing your chopped cheese.
- 1 hour – Prepare all the necessary ingredients (bread, meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, mustard, etc.).
- 30 minutes – Cook the ground beef until done to taste.
- 15 minutes – Spread the mayonnaise over the bread slices.
- 5-10 minutes – Chop the onion into small pieces.
- 3-4 minutes – Mix everything together.
- 7-8 minutes – Place the mixture onto the bread slices and put them back into the oven for 5 more minutes.
- 6-7 minutes – Remove from the oven.
- 1 minute – Slice open and serve!
What Is The Nutritional Value Of This Recipe?
This recipe contains about 1,000 calories (4% from fat), 100 grams of carbohydrates (3% from sugar), 36 grams of protein, and 3 grams of fiber.
The nutrition facts listed above are an approximation based off whole ingredients used in this recipe.
If you are following a strict diet plan or watching your calorie intake, then these nutrition values may differ slightly depending on what specific foods you use for this recipe.
If you eat one of these sandwiches every day for lunch, then you would need to consume roughly 15 servings per week to meet your daily nutrient requirements according to the USDA’s MyPlate guidelines.
However, if you want to lose weight, then eating just one serving per day will still help you reach your goals.
What Are The Health Benefits Of This Recipe?
The most important thing about this recipe is that it contains healthy ingredients.
The first ingredient is a low-calorie bun which has only 160 calories per slice.
Next comes a lean beef patty (which is what you’re really craving) with zero fat or cholesterol.
On top is a thin layer of cheese which adds up to just 110 calories for one serving! Finally, there’s an onion which also has no fat and very few calories.
So as you can see, this is a pretty good way to satisfy your hunger without eating too many extra calories.
What Are The Risks Of This Recipe?
The main risk with the chopped cheese sandwich is the amount of fat contained within it.
The ingredients used to make this sandwich include cheese, which has high amounts of saturated fat (and even trans fats).
When eaten regularly, these types of foods can lead to obesity and other chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and stroke.
This is why many people try to limit their intake of processed meats like bacon or sausage, but sometimes they just aren’t able to do so.
Another problem that may arise from eating too much of this kind of food is that you won’t be getting enough fiber in your diet.
Fiber is important for maintaining good digestive function and keeping your body healthy.
In addition, if you’re not getting enough fiber each day, then there isn’t enough blood circulating through your body, leading to problems like constipation.
As you can see, the risks associated with the chopped cheese sandwich are pretty obvious.
However, what about the potential benefits? Read on to find out!
What Are The Side Effects Of This Recipe?
The main ingredients of a chopped cheese are onion, mustard, ketchup, mayo, pickle relish, and tomato sauce.
The potential side effect of this dish is food poisoning because it contains raw meat products, which can make you sick if they contain salmonella bacteria or E.
- Tomato sauce
- Meat (beef)
- Poultry (chicken)
How to prepare a chopped cheese
To make a chopped cheese at home, all you need to do is follow these steps:
- Add two eggs to a bowl.
- Mix them with one tablespoon each of mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, and salt.
- Now add 1 teaspoon olive oil, ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, ¼ cup diced white onions, 2 tablespoons diced tomatoes, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice to your egg mixture.
- Next, divide your prepared bread into four sections.
- Spread half of the vegetable-and-cheese mix onto one of the halves of the bread.
- Top it with sliced beef burger patty, then spread the other half of the vegetable-and-cheese mix over the beef patty.
- Put another slice of cheese atop the vegetables before adding a layer of onion slices.
- Finish off by spreading the last half of the vegetable-and-cheese mix onto both sides of the remaining piece of bread.
- Cut your sandwiches diagonally across their width.
If you want to go fancy, you can also put lettuce leaves between the layers of bread for an additional crunchy texture.
What Are The Precautions Of This Recipe?
The main ingredient in this recipe is raw onion.
Raw onion can cause damage to your eyes if you do not wash your hands after using it or touch something else with it.
If you have any eye problems, avoid chopping onions until they’ve been cooked for at least 10 minutes.
You should also wear gloves when cutting up an onion because its fumes could irritate your skin.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth after handling the onion.
- Do not eat foods prepared by someone who has just handled raw onion.
- If you have trouble breathing, get medical attention right away.
You shouldn’t use this dish if you have a latex allergy.
The ingredients used in this recipe include wheat flour and milk products like butter and cream cheese.
Some people may be allergic to these substances as well.
What Are The Warnings Of This Recipe?
You should keep your hands clean when handling raw meat or poultry.
If you don’t wash them with soap after touching food, bacteria can transfer from your hand to other foods, such as the inside of your mouth.
When preparing any dish containing raw meats, make sure they are cooked thoroughly before eating.
Cooking methods include broiling, grilling, roasting, baking, frying, sautéing, simmering, poaching, stewing, and microwaving.
- 1 nonstick skillet
- 4 hoagie buns
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef lean or standard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices American cheese
- 1 cup lettuce chopped
- 1 large tomato thinly sliced
- Cut the buns in half and toast them lightly. Spread mayonnaise on one side.
- Melt the butter in a nonstick skillet. Once the butter has melted, add the onion and cook until fragrant. To one side, push.
- Add the ground beef, being careful not to break it up. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Cook for 4 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for another 2 minutes on the other.
- Break the beef apart slowly, then fold in the onions. When the center of the beef is no longer pink, divide it into four equal-sized portions.
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until the American cheese is gooey and melted, over each portion.
- Place each portion in a hoagie bun and top with shredded iceberg lettuce and sliced tomatoes.