Fried mahi mahi is a delicious dish that combines the savory flavor of the fish with the crunch of a golden-brown crust.
The fish is lightly seasoned and fried to perfection , creating a crispy, flavorful meal that is sure to delight any seafood lover .
What ingredients do you need to make fried mahi mahi ?
In order to prepare an All-American fish dish , you will need the following ingredients.
- Fried mahi mahi
- Oil to deep fry
- Batter for coating fish
- Flour for coating fish
- Seasoned salt (optional)
What type of cooking oil should you use to fry mahi mahi ?
Before you start cooking your mahi mahi , it’s important to have the correct oil to cook with .
The most common frying oil used is vegetable oil because it has a neutral flavor and does not impart any color or taste to the food.
Vegetable oil is ideal for frying because it has a high smoke point.
This means that it can be heated to temperatures high enough to allow a piece of food to be fried without being damaged .
However , vegetable oil should never be used for deep-frying.
When you invest in a quality oil , you are investing in the health of your family and home .
Before making any purchases, always read labeling carefully.
It’s important to read the ingredients list and choose oils that do not contain trans fat or partially hydrogenated oils.
You may also be interested in reading about other types of cooking oils.
What are some tips for getting the mahi mahi to a crisp golden brown ?
Crisp golden-brown mahi mahi is not an easy feat to achieve , but with the proper care and attention, your mahi mahi will turn out perfectly every time .
Keep these tips in mind and you’ll have a piece of fried fish that will be the talk of the table.
How long should you fry the mahi mahi for ?
Similar to other types of fish , the mahi mahi can be fried for anywhere between five to seven minutes.
Seasoning the fish before frying helps prevent the outside of the fish from becoming gray and overcooked .
But remember, the longer you fry , the crisper and crunchier your fish becomes.
Start by adding a small amount of oil to a pan that is already hot enough to cook the fish.
Next, pour in a small amount of the fish, and reduce the heat to medium-low .
Cook for three to five minutes or until a golden-brown crust forms on the bottom side of each piece.
What type of seasonings work best with fried mahi mahi ?
Mahi mahi is a very delicate fish.
The best treatment for the fish is to season it lightly with salt and pepper and then to let the fish sit for about 30 minutes or so before cooking it .
This allows the fish to absorb the seasoning as it cooks.
Mahi mahi is traditionally fried by first deep-frying the fillets at a temperature of about 400 degrees Fahrenheit .
After frying , the fish is seasoned with herbs, spices, and citrus juice.
What type of side dish pairs well with fried mahi mahi ?
As a main dish , fried mahi mahi goes well with any type of side dish .
The following are some of the best side dishes to pair with fried mahi mahi.
- Broccoli is a wonderful vegetable that is loaded with nutrients , including vitamins C and K, as well as lots of fiber . Broccoli has a mild flavor that works well with other ingredients, making it a great addition to any meal.
- Fries are hands down one of the best side dishes you can add to any meal . The French fry is perfect for dipping in marinara sauce or simply eating plain. The crispy exterior of French fries also makes them one of the best sides to pair with fried mahi mahi.
Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes are an excellent substitute for regular potatoes . They have a sweet , moist flesh and provide plenty of carbohydrates for your body’s energy needs. Sweet potatoes are also packed full of nutrients and are low in calories.
- A simple rice dish can be an excellent accompaniment to fried mahi mahi , especially if it’s made using brown rice. Brown rice is heartier than white rice and contains more protein and fiber .
Is it better to use fresh or frozen mahi mahi for frying ?
There is no definitive answer to this question, but the truth lies somewhere in between .
Fresh mahi mahi can be found in some markets year-round , while frozen mahi may exist only in the summer months.
Frozen fish has a much longer shelf life than fresh fish.
Frozen fish is also more convenient for many people.
If you have time to wait for fresh fish to arrive at your grocery store , it makes more sense to buy frozen fish instead, especially if you plan on cooking the fish that evening .
If you live close enough to the fish markets where you usually shop and are not in a big rush to cook, there’s really no reason to buy fresh fish unless it’s absolutely necessary.
The biggest advantage of frozen fish is the price point .
The cost of a pound of fresh mahi can be about $5-$8 depending on quality , whereas the cost of a pound of frozen mahi ranges from $5-$10.
How do you know when the mahi mahi is cooked through ?
Mahi mahi is a very delicate fish and does not have much of an ability to absorb heat, so as long as the fish is covered in oil and fried until golden-brown, it will not be overcooked and will remain flaky when you slice into it.
If you are concerned about the cooking process , which takes only 5 to 10 minutes on average, you can use a thermometer to monitor the internal temperature .
If you’ve ever tried deep-frying anything with a thick piece of meat or a whole fish , you’ll know that once that oil achieves a certain temperature (about 375 degrees F), it begins to bubble and boil quickly.
How can you make a healthier version of fried mahi mahi ?
There are several methods of cooking mahi mahi that help you achieve a healthier version without losing the crunch of the crust and making it greasy.
Beware that there is a fine line between healthy and unhealthy , and it is best to consult your doctor before changing your cooking habits .
What type of batter is best for making fried mahi mahi ?
The cooking style of fried mahi mahi is one that works best when you apply a thin , light coating of batter to the fish and then simply fry it.
For this reason, an air-filled cornstarch and wheat flour batter is generally the best option for frying.
Although the exact amount doesn’t matter, you should try to use a batter that contains about 18 percent air space .
Batter that is too thin will not create a crispy crust on the fish.
Batter that is too thick will drip off of the fish as soon as it hits the hot oil .
Tips for making fried mahi mahi:
- The fish is clean , skinned and gutted.
- The fillets are large , so they fry faster. While all the fillets won’t need to be cut in half — which can result in them being overcooked — they should be cut down to size so they cook evenly .
- The fish is usually salted before frying , which can make it difficult to keep it from absorbing too much oil.
Squid rings and scallops are also common additions to fried mahi mahi.
The latter are typically served whole with chopsticks inserted through them for easy serving and eating .
Scallops can be served battered in an oiled crêpe pan or cooked on a grill until golden brown and hot before diving into their batter of choice.
- 1 Pan
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp mexican seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- 1-2 Eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Mahi Mahi fillets, cut in long stripes
- Lemon Wedges to serve
- Vegetable oil, to fry
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Mahi mahi filets should be cut into strips and dried with paper towels. In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Mexican spice, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate dish, crack the egg and whisk it to include the yolk and white.In a third bowl, add the flour.The fillets are coated in flour, then are dipped in the egg mixture and then are breaded on both sides.
- One or two at a time, cook them in hot oil heated to 350°F (180°C) for 3–4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.Transfer to a wire rack or plate covered with paper towels to drain any extra oil.Serve the sauce for dipping with the fried mahi mahi after thoroughly combining all the ingredients in a bowl.