Garlic has been used as a culinary spice since ancient times.
It was also widely used as medicine to treat various diseases during this time period.
What Are The Ingredients In Garlic Salt?
There are many different types of spices that can be added into your cooking.
These include onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, chili flakes, turmeric, coriander, parsley and rosemary among others.
You may have heard of “garlic salt” but what exactly does it contain?
- GARLIC: Garlic is an aromatic plant with long stalks covered in small, flat leaves. The roots of the plant produce tiny white bulbs which look like cloves when peeled. In addition to being edible, these bulbs are used to make allicin – the main ingredient in garlic. Allicin is responsible for the many health benefits associated with consuming garlic.
- SALT: Salt is essential to our survival because it helps us absorb nutrients from food. But too much sodium (salt) intake can lead to high blood pressure or heart disease. As such, it is important to limit the amount of salt we consume.
- MILK PRODUCTS: Milk products such as milk, butter and cheese are rich sources of calcium, proteins and other vitamins. They are also good sources of fat. Fatty foods are great sources of energy for the body. However, if consumed excessively, they will increase your risk of developing obesity and diabetes.
Benefits of garlic
The following list shows some of the health benefits of garlic:
- It lowers cholesterol levels by reducing the bad LDL cholesterol while increasing good HDL cholesterol.
- Garlic contains antioxidants which help fight free radicals that cause aging and cancer.
- It increases iron absorption which helps reduce fatigue and boost your immune system.
- It has antimicrobial properties that prevent bacteria growth and kill harmful microorganisms.
- It improves digestion, especially after meals.
- It treats stomach ulcers and reduces symptoms related to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Tips on using garlic
Here are some tips on how to use garlic:
- When adding fresh garlic to a dish, cut off the tip end so that the flavor doesn’t overpower the rest of the dish.
- If the smell of raw garlic gets on your clothes, simply wash them with soap and water right away.
- To remove the strong odor of raw garlic from its skin, rub it against paper towels until it’s cool enough to handle.
- Don’t store garlic in the fridge as it’ll lose its potency over time.
- Make sure you don’t overcook garlic as it will become bitter.
How Do You Make Garlic Salt?
The following method will show you how to make garlic salt from scratch at home.
- Put 2 cups table salt into a bowl.
- Add 1 cup olive oil to the bowl.
- Stir well with your hands until all the salt is dissolved.
- Add ¼ cup freshly ground black pepper to the mixture.
- Mix with your hands to distribute evenly throughout the mixture.
Now that you have the basic recipe down, here’s some more information on what exactly makes up the flavor of garlic salt.
For garlic salt, there are three main components – garlic powder, sea salt, and sugar or honey.
The amount of each ingredient varies based on the brand and type of garlic salt you buy.
All these elements come together to create an incredibly flavorful seasoning that can be added to many dishes, especially meat-based ones.
What Is The Nutritional Value Of Garlic Salt?
Here’s how much fat it contains in grams:
- Unsalted: 1 gram
- Low-fat: 0.5 grams
- Medium-fat: 2 grams
- High-fat: 5 grams
It contains 9% of your daily recommended amount of sodium (for adults).
The following table shows the recommended daily intake of sodium per day for an adult:
(8 cups water)
The following table shows how many milligrams of sodium garlic salt provides:
According to the National Institutes of Health, garlic salt can reduce blood pressure by reducing cholesterol levels.
Garlic salt may also help lower high blood sugar levels. However, there have not yet been any studies on its effects against cancer or heart disease.
While no one wants to eat too much salt, garlic salt is still better than adding more refined grains to your diet.
In fact, it is considered healthier than regular table salt because it doesn’t contain iodine which can cause thyroid problems.
What Are The Benefits Of Garlic Salt?
The most common benefit people get from eating or cooking with garlic is its flavor and smell.
Garlic’s strong aroma makes it an excellent addition in many dishes like soups, sauces, stews, and vegetables.
The health benefits of garlic include its ability to fight off bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, and other harmful organisms that can cause disease.
Since garlic contains sulfur compounds, you should avoid consuming too much garlic at once.
For example, if you eat raw cloves of garlic, be careful not to consume more than one clove per day.
When cooked, however, a little bit goes a long way. In fact, there is no limit on how much garlic you can have per meal.
To enjoy all the health benefits of garlic, you must cook it properly.
One of the best ways to do so is by using garlic salt. Here are the benefits of garlic salt.
What Are The Side Effects Of Garlic Salt?
The most common side effect associated with using garlic salt is that it can make your breath smell bad.
Garlic salt contains high amounts of sulfur compounds which give off an odor when they break down in air.
The amount of sulfur in garlic depends on how much heat you use to cook it up.
When cooked at lower temperatures (e.g., sauteed), less sulfuric compounds will be produced than if you cook the cloves at higher temperatures (e.g., boiled).
Another possible side effect could include stomach upset from eating too much garlic or garlic-flavored foods.
If you have any digestive problems, avoid consuming large quantities of garlic-based foods until you get them under control.
How Do You Store Garlic Salt?
If you’re looking to make your own homemade garlic salt, it’s important to understand how you can keep the seasoning in good condition.
Garlic salt is made from crushed dried garlic cloves that have been mixed with salt.
If you want to make your own garlic salt at home, there are several ways to go about doing so.
- Make your own dry-crushed garlic powder. To make your own garlic powder, all you need is an oven or dehydrator and some fresh whole cloves of garlic. You can either use them raw or roast them first before crushing them into a fine powder. The latter method will give you better results because roasted garlic gives off more flavor than raw garlic.
- Use packaged dry-crush garlic salt. Many grocery stores sell dry-packed garlic salts these days. These contain finely ground garlic with a hint of salt. You can find different flavors like dill, cayenne pepper, or even bacon flavor among others.
- Buy already prepared garlic salt. Some brands of garlic salt come ready to use right out of the package, while other companies offer pre-made blends that include seasonings such as paprika or onion powder. They are usually sold in small bags which makes them convenient to carry around.
How Long Does Garlic Salt Last?
With the proper storage methods in place, your garlic salt will keep well.
Garlic salt can be stored away from heat or sunlight because it’s made with allicin, which doesn’t degrade easily.
However, garlic salt should not be frozen, refrigerated, or exposed to excessive heat like microwaving.
If you have leftover garlic salt, try storing it in an airtight container that’s kept out of direct light.
You may find that after a few weeks, some of its potency starts to fade.
What Are Some Uses For Garlic Salt?
The most common way to enjoy garlic in the kitchen is by adding it to your dishes as a flavor enhancer or flavoring agent.
Garlic salt is one such example.
It’s an easy-to-make mixture that consists of crushed fresh cloves of garlic combined with table salt.
The result is a pungent mixture that adds a rich flavor to foods without overpowering them.
This article will discuss how you can make garlic salt at home using different ingredients like garlic powder, onion flakes, dried parsley, oregano, and more.
What Are Some Recipes That Use Garlic Salt?
The most common way to season food with garlic is through the addition of a sprinkle or dash of garlic powder into sauces, soups, marinades, and other dishes.
Garlic salt is another option for adding flavor to your favorite foods.
Is Garlic Salt Good For You?
While it’s true that garlic can be toxic in large doses, garlic salts like the one we’re discussing here have actually been shown to reduce blood pressure and inflammation.
In addition, garlic has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, and antioxidant properties.
This means it fights off bad bacteria, viruses, fungi, and free radicals (which cause cell damage).
It’s important to note that while garlic may help fight certain health conditions, it doesn’t cure them.
For example, garlic isn’t a miracle drug that will make your body immune to cancer or other serious illnesses.
- 1 Bowl
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp granulated onion
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Use as necessary.
- Can be kept for up to six months in an airtight container or shaker (if not adding the parmesan cheese). If parmesan is added, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.