Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs is a culinary masterpiece that is sure to please any palate.
The dish combines the succulent flavor of braised beef with sweet caramelized onions and savory herbs and spices.
The tender beef, rich onions, and savory herbs and spices create a perfect combination for a hot, hearty meal.
Gordon Ramsay’s short rib recipe is one of the best around and is often served in restaurants across the world.
If you want to learn how to cook this dish yourself, this article will teach you how.
What ingredients are needed to make Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs?
There are several ingredients in Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs recipe which make it so delicious.
To make Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs recipe, you need to start with the beef.
You will need a large piece of boneless beef.
Normally, this means you will need to cut the meat into long, rib-like bones and slice each one into three or four pieces about the size of your little finger.
These pieces will comprise the short ribs.
You can use any cut of beef for Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs recipe, however.
It is preferable to use a prime cut of beef.
This means that you should look for cuts that have the highest marbling content.
The higher this value is, the thicker and more tasty your finished product will be.
This type of beef normally comes from cow, steer, or lamb meat.
Once you have sourced the meat for your short ribs recipe, you can start to prepare it for cooking.
To begin cooking this dish on your own, you should trim off any excess fat and trim away any visible bone parts.
This is especially important if you used a prime cut of beef.
Once you have prepared your meat for cooking, take out two cups of oil and place them in a large pot or pan over a medium heat.
Add salt and pepper to the oil and then begin to sauté onions until they become soft and golden brown.
How long does it take to cook Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs?
Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs is a slow-cooked dish.
This means it takes a considerable amount of time to cook, and you will not want to rush through this cooking process.
The cooking process takes at least six hours and preferably longer than that.
However, you can always adjust the cooking time according to your preference.
What type of oven is best for cooking Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs?
Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs is a family favorite, and is often cooked at restaurants across the world.
This recipe calls for slow-cooking the meat in a pot on the stove, allowing it to become succulent and flavorful.
A traditional oven, or an outdoor grill, would be best for cooking this dish, as it cooks at a consistent temperature across the entire cooking period.
A slow cooker would also be perfect for cooking this dish.
What temperature should the oven be set to when cooking Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs?
Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs recipe is an extremely long cook, requiring an oven temperature of around 300°F.
The short ribs should be cooked in a covered dutch oven for about three or four hours.
It is important to use a dutch oven for this dish because it allows the meat to sear on all sides, creating the perfect crust that is essential for making a flavorful braise.
A covered dutch oven also traps any steam inside, allowing the meat to cook gradually without drying out.
What other dishes pair well with Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs?
A dish that goes incredibly well with Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs are sliders.
Although a hamburger is typically the most popular alternative, it is the perfect appetizer when paired with the rich and savory short ribs recipe.
Sliders, along with other meat-based appetizers, can be made on mini buns or slider rolls, ensuring that every bite is packed with flavor.
Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs can also be served with a side of mashed potatoes for a hearty and delicious meal.
Mashed potatoes are one of the most popular side dishes in restaurants across the world.
This can be made by simply baking some potatoes in an oven along with a bit of butter or oil.
Mashed potatoes can then be served as they are, with gravy or as they are, without any added ingredients.
Alongside bread and mashed potatoes, a simple combination of fried green beans is another wonderful way to add flavor and texture to this dish.
Green beans take on a beefy flavor when cooked over high heat in oil.
The crunchy beans pair perfectly with the succulent braised beef and onions present in the Gordon Ramsay’s short rib recipe.
Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs can also be enjoyed alongside some classic sides like cornbread, pasta salad, and coleslaw.
These classics usually complement recipes like these perfectly because they include traditional flavors that work well alongside beef.
Does Gordon Ramsay’s short rib recipe require any special tools or techniques?
Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs have a lot of ingredients and a lot of steps.
This may be intimidating if you’re not used to cooking, but don’t let it scare you away!
While many of the ingredients are easy to find, some of them are more difficult to locate.
If you’re new to cooking, we recommend reading this quick guide on how to cook a pork shoulder before tackling a recipe such as Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs.
Cooking with different cuts and joining them together is one of the most important parts in learning how to cook.
If you’re still unsure about his short ribs recipe, check out this quick guide on what makes this dish so special.
Is there an alternative to the red wine sauce suggested in Gordon Ramsay’s short rib recipe?
The red wine sauce that is served alongside the short ribs in Gordon Ramsay’s recipe is exceedingly delicious, but many home cooks are hesitant to use it due to its high cost and alcohol content.
They would rather make their own sauce instead.
However, many people are unaware of how simple it is to make a flavorful sauce that is still low-alcohol and low in sodium.
The recipe below shows how to make a tasty, low-sodium red wine sauce that still tastes similar to Gordon Ramsay’s recipe.
How much time should be allowed for marinating the ribs in Gordon Ramsay’s short rib recipe?
The short ribs marinade should be allowed to sit in the refrigerator overnight.
While the beef marinade is aging, prepare your grill for cooking.
If you’re using a charcoal grill, start with a medium hot fire.
On a gas grill, preheat to high and direct spark from the burners.
Place the ribs on the grill, cover, and cook for one and half hours.
What type of pan should be used to cook Gordon Ramsay’s short ribs?
The short ribs recipe is cooked in a cast-iron skillet.
Cast iron skillets are a great choice for this tasty dish because they deliver a consistent cooking temperature and retain heat incredibly well.
The benefits of using cast iron skillets are that they are non-stick and non-reactive so they won’t scratch or alter the flavor of your food.
Are there any variations to the short rib recipe created by Gordon Ramsay?
Gordon Ramsay always offers you a choice when it comes to the type of short ribs you are planning on eating.
You can choose baby back ribs, as well as rib tips, or if you’re looking for a low-fat version of the dish, you can even substitute the beef with chicken.
The choice is yours!
- 1 Oven
- Olive oil, for frying
- 6 thick-cut meaty beef short ribs
- 1 large head of garlic, cut in half horizontally
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato purée
- 1 x 750ml bottle red wine
- 1 litre beef stock
- 150g pancetta lardons
- 250g small chestnut mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped flat leaf parsley, to garnish
- Oven: Preheat to 170°C/Gas 3.On the stove, preheat a deep roasting pan and add a generous amount of olive oil. The short ribs should be well-seasoned, and after frying for 10 to 15 minutes, both sides should be well browned.
- Put the cut-side-down half of the garlic head in the pan's bottom. To cook out the tomato purée, add it and heat for one or two minutes. Pour wine into the pan to deglaze it while scraping out any browned pieces. Add stock to almost completely cover the ribs after bringing to a boil and cooking for 10 to 15 minutes to decrease the liquid by half (you'll need less stock if your roasting tray isn't very large). Basting the ribs with the juices, bring to a boil once more.
- The roasting pan should be covered with foil and cooked in the preheated oven for 3 to 4 hours, basting occasionally, or until the flesh is falling from the bone tender.Fry the pancetta for two to three minutes, or until crisp and brown, about ten minutes before the short ribs are ready to be served. When the mushrooms are ready, add them and simmer for another 4-5 minutes. Get rid of any extra fat.
- Remove the short ribs from the oven and place them in a serving dish once they are done. Garlic cloves should be squeezed from their skins and put through a sieve. Remove any extra fat from the liquid used to cook the beef, then drain it through a sieve and combine it with the garlic. (If the sauce is too thin, drain it and boil the remaining cooking liquid for an additional 10-15 minutes.)Serve the short ribs with the sauce poured over them and the hot pancetta and mushrooms on top. Add chopped flat leaf parsley as a garnish.