There is nothing better than a simple recipe like you knowing how to cook cabbage in a crock pot. And cabbage is among the best vegetables (like eggplants) to be cooked in a crockpot as it has a distinctive taste and aroma that is not diminished with long cooking times.
To cook cabbage in a crockpot you’ll want to start by dumping half of a small head of cabbage (one pound), three Tbsp. of butter, two Tbsp. of vinegar and some pepper into your slow cooker.
Now, cut cabbage into wedges, then add to crockpot with 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Cook at high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours. Continue reading till the end for a step-by-step guide.
However, when cooking cabbage in a crockpot, the trick to a tender but still crisp dish is to use the right amount of liquid. You should have just enough liquid to be able to cover the shredded cabbage with about 2 inches of water.
Additionally, Cabbage can be used in a wide variety of dishes, including soups, gravies, and stir-fries. It is best to cook cabbage in the crock pot. This allows for greater control when cooking, eliminating the risk of overcooking and burning.
What is cabbage used for?
Cabbage can be eaten raw as leafy vegetables, or cooked and served as vegetable dishes. Cabbage is an excellent source of fiber that helps to lower cholesterol and give relief from constipation. The fiber in cabbage also provides relief against colon cancer, heart disease, and gallstones.
Cabbage is often used in salads and coleslaw but can be eaten cooked as well. The top third of a green cabbage can be shredded, boiled, and then combined with chopped carrots and potatoes for a delicious soup. Cabbage also makes delicious kimchi, used as a side dish or put into sandwiches and omelets.
Additionally, It is an excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin K, and a very good source of fiber. It also contains folate, potassium, magnesium, and iron.
How to cook cabbage in a crock pot – Step by step guide
Using a crockpot is a genius way to cook cabbage. It takes minimal effort and has strong health benefits.
1. Cut your cabbage in half and then slice it into thin slivers.
2. Put the cabbage slices in the crockpot and add water. (The water will not cook down as much as you think it will – it is important that you use enough so that it submerges all of the cabbage.)
3. Put a small pat of butter on the cabbage and feel free to add other spices if you like – I added bay leaves and thyme because I wanted to bring out the flavor a little.
4. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 6 hours. Cook on low for eight hours or high for four hours.
How long to cook cabbage in crock pot
You should cook the cabbage in the crock pot for 6 to 8 hours on low. This is the standard length of time, but if you need it to be done quicker, simply increase the time.
Additionally, a medium-sized head of cabbage takes about 5 to 6 hours to cook in a crockpot. The time can vary depending on the number of cabbages, the size of the cabbages, and the type of slow-cooker.
In some cases, it can take as long as 12 hours. Use this information at your discretion.
How to eat cabbage
Cabbage is highly nutritious and very low in calories. It is often boiled or steamed, although it can also be eaten raw in salads.
It can be served with vinegar or melted butter; steamed cabbage can be served with melted butter, sauce mornay, or Hollandaise sauce. It can also be fried in batter.[
However, it has a very mild and fresh flavor and goes well with pungent ingredients such as vinegar, garlic, and chilies. Steamed cabbage is a tasty vegetable dish that is easy to cook, or you can stir-fry it with pork strips and savory sauce.
It is a traditional and nutritious dish that can be enjoyed as a side vegetable to meat, fried chicken, or made into coleslaw. Boiled cabbage can also be seasonally prepared with lemon juice, vinegar, and seasoning.
Once steamed, cabbage has a unique texture, that is firm and slightly chewy. It is an excellent side dish and very easy to make. It’s made with just 5 ingredients and suitable for Paleo, Keto, Low Carb, SIBO, and GAPS diets.
Cabbage is a fantastic vegetable, especially when it’s fried up in a light egg and flour batter. The lighter the flour, the crispier and more delicate the batter will be so that the cabbage comes out juicy and not greasy.
To fry Cabbage in a large skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees. Add garlic and onions to the hot skillet and cook till they brown. Then reduce heat to medium-low and add broccoli and cabbage. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover and cook until broccoli is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. (Don’t overcook or cabbage will turn bitter.)
Raw cabbage benefits
The health benefits of eating raw cabbage include improved digestion and elimination, lower cholesterol, and better heart health.
- It improved bone health and protection against cancer.
- It also helps the body detoxify harmful chemicals that build up in the tissues during the aging process
- cabbage is the food most frequently associated with cancer prevention. Probably due to its sulforaphane content
- The sulforaphane in this fruit could boost the immune response to tumors
- It can be an inexpensive cleanser for your body.
- Raw cabbage is a good source of vitamin C and a very good source of dietary fiber.
- It contains no cholesterol and other saturated fats, so it does not elevate serum cholesterol levels.
- It can also serve as a pain reliever, treatment for kidney disorders, sore throat
Side effects of eating cabbage
With all of the great benefits of cabbage, there can be some side effects. But don’t worry, they are pretty mild, and not deadly.
It can affect your sleeping functions if eaten before bedtime.
Eating too much cabbage can really make you sick with symptoms including stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea.
Eating large amounts of cabbage also can lead to abdominal issues including flatulence, cramps, and other unpleasantries.
it has been known to cause gas and bloating.
Note: it should be eaten in moderation by everyone no matter the age and gender.
Corned Beef and Cabbage is a classic recipe that gives you a home-cooked meal without the fuss. All you need to make this easy meal is a corned beef (or brisket), cabbage, potatoes, and carrots
Here is a step by step guide
1. Put 1-2 onions chopped up in the bottom of the crockpot, put your corned beef on top and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
2. put potatoes around the meat (don’t stick them under the meat so they can roast), then cabbage around the potatoes, and sprinkle with some pepper (to taste).
3. Add about 2 cups of water to the bottom of your crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours (cook longer if you have time.)
Here is another corned beef and cabbage recipe
Place the slow-cooker liner in the slow-cooker crock. In a large skillet, sauté 1 diced large onion, 2 lbs. small red-skinned potatoes, and 4 lbs. fresh carrots (peeled) in 1 tbsp vegetable oil for 15 minutes over medium heat.
Add to the slow cooker. Rinse and thaw 16-oz. small white cabbage under cool water and add to the slow cooker. Sprinkle 1 tsp coarse salt, 1 ½ tsp whole black peppercorn, 2 bay leaves, 2 tsp whole allspice, 6 sprigs fresh thyme, ½ cinnamon stick, 1 cup water over the ingredients in the crock. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
How to cook cabbage and sausage in crock pot
Cabbage and sausage is a unique but delicious dish, especially when it’s slow-cooked for several hours in the crockpot. This dish has very few ingredients and just needs to be chunked and added to your crockpot with a can of diced tomatoes and some seasonings.
Here is a step by step guide
Slice 1 large head of cabbage into chunks. Add to a slow cooker.
Slice 1 lb. Polish sausage, cut into slices and add to the pot, along with two diced carrots and two ribs of chopped celery.
Pour 32 oz of chicken broth over the entire mixture. Stir gently, be sure to break up any clumps of cabbage.
Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
How to cook a whole cabbage in a crock pot
Cooking whole cabbage in the slow cooker can provide you with a healthy, hearty meal, as well as help you save time and money.
Here are the steps:
1. Wash cabbage and cut a few slits in the bottom where it will sit in the pot, this allows steam to rise from the bottom of the cabbage instead of boiling over.
2. Remove core from the bottom if not already removed.
3. Place cabbage standing upright on a rack inside the pot, fill again with water so it covers whole cabbage completely, cover, and cook on high until there is no more resistance when stirring and a fork goes through cabbage easily, generally takes 5 to 6 hours depending on the age of the cabbage.
4. Once you are satisfied with the tenderness pour off excess water and replace the lid with a serving lid or domed lid to serve right out of crockpot as is or shred with forks and mix with other ingredients such as apple slices, applesauce, sauerkraut, caraway groats (optional), sweet sliced onions for great flavor (optional) for a very traditional Polish meal served with kielbasa sausage and rye bread.
How to cook frozen cabbage rolls in a crock pot
Cooking frozen cabbage rolls in the slow cooker is super easy! Just follow these simple steps to prepare this tasty dish.
Place frozen rolls in the slow cooker.
Pour 8 oz of water and 1 packet of Lipton Savory Herb with Garlic Soup Mix over all the rolls.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until tender and hot.
However, Frozen cabbage rolls are not recommended for cooking in a crock pot. The slow cooker is intended for long, moist cooking at temperatures below boiling. Using the slow cooker for frozen cabbage rolls will result in overcooked meat and dry, hard-to-fondue centers.
Frequently Asked Question
How do you make cabbage more tender?
The trick to making cabbage tender is to steam it, rather than boil or stir-fry it. Boiling just shocks the cabbage and gives it a mushy texture. Stir-frying doesn’t soften it much either. It’s a quick method with a texture that reminds you of reheated lettuce. Steaming is the only way to tenderize truly raw cabbage.
How do you make cabbage not soggy?
Cabbage is not soggy when it is cooked in water, lemon juice, or vinegar, with the addition of many spices like salt, pepper, and others.
Additionally, you might want to try rinsing your chopped cabbage in a mason jar filled with water and then spinning it in your salad spinner. This will remove any dirt that may be attached to the leaves and make them fresh and clean.
Another trick is to soak the chopped cabbage in cold water for five minutes before placing it in ice water. The cool temperature will set well right away and you can enjoy your crispy cabbage later that day or even the next day.
Why do you soak cabbage in salt water?
Soaking cabbage in saltwater before cooking will draw out the excess water inside of them. The salt will pull out and evaporate the excess moisture so that it doesn’t end up splashing around your kitchen while you cook.
However, when cooking fresh cabbage, it is best to soak it in a salt water solution for about half an hour before cooking begins. The saltwater solution will help remove any dirt or debris that may be caked on the leaves.
How do you soften cabbage without cooking it?
The easiest way to soften cabbage without cooking it is to place it in a bowl and cover it with ice water. For example, if the cabbage will be used in a salad with other ingredients, toss the cabbage with some diced red onion and a little vinegar. Put this into the refrigerator for about an hour, until the vegetables are just tender.
Also, you can soften cabbage by placing it between two layers of paper towels and then setting a heavy plate on top. The plate will keep the cabbage from moving around, and the paper towel will absorb excess moisture.
Since you now know how to cook cabbage in a crock pot, the sooner you add the cabbage to the crock-pot, the faster it’ll cook. You can add the cabbage first thing to the crock-pot or after you’ve got other ingredients in there. Either is fine. If you opt for later, just pour a little water over it and stir.
- 1 Crock Pot
- 1 Cabbage
- ⅔ cup bacon crumbles
- 15 oz onion
- 8 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup butter
- salt and pepper
- Put the cabbage in the crock cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients on top.
- When the cabbage is soft, simmer on high for 4 to 6 hours with the cover on.