Nothing beats a fresh bowl of homemade corn flakes when it comes to easy-to-make delicious snacks. Making your corn flakes is much simpler than you would imagine by following my guide on how to make corn flakes.
There are 3 methods to make corn flakes:
- A straightforward process, simply boiling the kernels in water.
- A puffing method that uses steam and heat to puff up the kernel.
- A rotary hot air drying process dries the flake as it rotates on a constant fire source.
However, you can use an old-fashioned wooden roller similar to those used for rolling dough or use a mechanical device. Both will result in corn flakes.
What are corn flakes?
Corn Flakes are made out of corn. Cereal is a breakfast food invented in the United States by John Harvey Kellogg.
They are breakfast cereal made from corn, generally eaten hot or cold, and as an ingredient in other breakfast foods. They can also be eaten raw and whole, straight from the box.
How to make corn flakes at home
Making corn flakes yourself at home is surprisingly straightforward. The whole process takes nothing less than 10 minutes.
The following recipe will reveal how to make corn flakes at home in your kitchen.
First, arrange the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 3 cups of milk
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
Mix the cornmeal with sugar in a bowl.
Combine warm milk and oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat and slowly bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Gradually add the heat milk and oil to the cornmeal and sugar bowl.
Pour the mixture into a preheated oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes on a greased cookie sheet till browned evenly.
Remove from the oven, cool, and cut it into small squares.
How to prepare corn flakes
Follow the instructions below to bring about superior taste and ease of preparation.
- 6-8 Medium Sized Corn Flakes
- 5 Tablespoon Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
1. Take a bowl and add corn flakes
2. Take sugar and mix it with milk
3. Pour the mixture on corn flakes, stir it by using a spoon or hand
4. It’s ready to eat; add fruits or nuts as you like
Another method to prepare corn flakes
You can prepare a bowl of corn flakes by adding 300 ml of milk to one single packet of Corn Flakes.
Then you make a mix together.
After the mix is ready, you can enjoy the corn flakes with its mix.
However, you can enjoy them with milk as a cereal or dry as a snack. Because corn flakes are made from cornmeal, they are high in carbohydrates with low protein and fat content.
Sometimes eggs or fruits may be added to create special flavors of cereals.
How to prepare corn flakes with milk
Corn flakes with milk are prepared by pouring hot/boiling milk.
Here is how to prepare corn flakes with milk.
First of all, put a tablespoon of sugar into the bowl.
Then pour the milk into the bowl, then add a pinch of salt and one tablespoon of sugar into the bowl.
Now stir it well. Then put the cornflakes into the bowl and stir it again.
After that, you can take a tablespoon and have it.
However, you can pour another tablespoon of sugar into the bowl if you like.
How to make honey cornflakes
Honey cornflakes are so flavorful because they are a mixture of corn flakes familiar to us and honey. They have a nice sweet flavor and go very well with milk.
Here is the step by step guide
- 1 cup honey,
- 1/2 cups cornflakes
- 3/4 teaspoon of butter
It would be best to first dissolve the cornflakes in hot water.
Mix all of the dry ingredients and leave to cool.
Make a well in the middle of your flour mix and add honey.
When you have a thick paste, put it into a buttered dish and put it in a slow oven for about 40 minutes.
Remove it after becoming slightly brown.
Slice it into your favorite shapes
Additionally, honey is sweet yet has no calories and is virtually fat-free. If you’re allergic to bees, then you may have to avoid using honey just in case.
Here is a wonderful recipe for cornflake cookies. These can be served with various ice cream flavors and topped with chocolate or butterscotch ice cream.
1. preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Use parchment paper to line the baking sheet
3. Crush cornflakes in a resealable plastic bag and put them into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
4. Pulse until evenly ground, but it is not so fine that it turns into powder.
5. Crumble two sticks of butter into the mixture and pulse until it looks like very coarse breadcrumbs.
6. In a large bowl, combine ground cornflake crumbs and butter with sugar, salt, and vanilla extract.
7 . Beat eggs in a small bowl using an electric mixer until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted out of the mixture, then cut egg mixture into mixture in the bowl by hand until combined
8. Put the whole mixture into a gallon size zip lock bag or plastic wrap and freeze for at least one hour
9 . Pour the frozen dough onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper using your hands, flatten out the dough
10. Bake for 10 minutes 700 degrees
11. Cooldown cookies on a wire rack before storing them.
How to make cornflake chicken
A fast and effortless way to make a crispy chicken dish is by adding cornflakes onto the chicken while the chicken is cooking. The cornflakes turn extra crispy, with a slightly sweet flavor due to the cornflake itself, making the chicken moist and flavorful.
You will need 2-3 Chicken portions, Cornflakes – about half a pack, Eggs – 1 per portion of chicken (1 large will do for two portions), salt, and pepper.
1. Cut the chicken up into 10-12 pieces.
2. Next, you have to prepare the cornish pasty with egg. With a rolling pin, the paste must be rolled out until thin.
3. Heat it over medium-high heat with olive oil.
4. Coat your chicken in cornflakes, then fry in a pan for about 5 minutes or until golden brown or cooked through.
5. Serve as desired
How to make corn flakes from maize
Making corn flakes is a great way to use your leftover maize or a fun way for the whole family to make some food. These simple and easy steps will show you how to make corn flakes from maize.
1. Start with maize, be sure of buying organic if you want the healthiest option.
2. Soak the kernels in water for at least 6 hours.
3. Boil the maize until soft, around 30 minutes or so.
4. Drain the water and run it through an acidic additive such as lime.
5. Run it through a mill to get rid of large chunks and keep only the softest pieces.
6. Dry out the broken-down maize into flour or starch.
7. Mix it with water again in equal parts and put it into a press to get the starch out of the powder (you can skip this step if you don’t feel like pressing).
8. Add some sugar, honey, or another sweetener of your choice for flavor, but you can also leave it unflavored if you prefer that over anything.
9. Put this new mixture back into a press to make flakes form out of it.
10. Finally, the product is formed into flakes of different shapes and sizes depending on the varietal of the maize and thickness of the flakes.
How to make frosted flakes
There are many easy ways to make frosted flakes at home. They include the dry cereal method, microwave method, and stovetop method.
This method is easy and requires only a minute of your time. But be careful because the milk you will be using will boil over easily at any point.
First, take a bowl, and pour the milk into it. Then add some sugar, as much as you want for your taste; after that, put about two tablespoons of cornflakes in the milk.
Please put it in the microwave for about 1 minute 25 seconds at 900 watts. But if you have 1000 watts, preheat it for 1 minute 10 seconds first, then put it in for 45 seconds.
If you have 1200 watts, preheat it for 1 minute 20 seconds, then put it at 50% power or 300 watts at 30 seconds. You could also use sugar puffs instead, but they take longer to cook.
After 30 seconds, stir by hand and put back in the microwave until finished.
1. In a large pan, put water and bring it to a boil on the stovetop. Once the water is boiling, add the frosted flakes.
2. Stir continuously using a wooden spoon or ladle until you get the desired consistency.
3. Add some milk or ice cream and enjoy once you’re done.
Moreso, frosted flakes are easy to make on any of your stoves or in the microwave. Frosted flakes are made by heating a mixture at a temperature below boiling point and preparing it in “rolling.” You want to make sure that the diameter of the round bangle bowl is larger than the diameter of the heat source so that the flake has sufficient heat conduction.
For example, if you cook with a gas stove, then use a larger bowl so the flake can grow in the center before the outside cooks.
How to make peanut butter candy with corn flakes
Peanut butter candy is one of the easiest homemade candies to prepare. It requires only four ingredients – butter, sugar, corn flakes, and peanuts. The ingredients are mixed, rolled into small balls, and coated with powdered sugar.
Line a baking pan with wax paper to make peanut butter candy with corn flakes.
Crush 1 package of corn flakes in a plastic bag. Roll the crust into balls about the size of walnuts.
Mix together 2 cups of peanuts, corn flakes, and 1 can of sweetened condensed milk. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a mixing bowl with 1½ cups of Cocoa Krave liquid (or 1½ cups of Nestle Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels). Mix according to your taste. You can add more sugar or butter.
When it is melted, pour the mixture over the balls you have made and coat each ball with some of it. Sprinkle the peanut butter balls with more crushed corn flakes and press down lightly. Put it aside and melt two bags (about two cups) of chocolate chips and three tablespoons cocoa (or coco-flakes in a double boiler).
Finally, pour over the top lightly and put in a freezer until firm.
You will need a 10-gallon stockpot and a five-gallon bucket. Peanut butter, corn flakes, sugar, water, and jelly will be needed.
You first will pour three gallons of water into the stockpot and boil them for about 20 minutes. Then add one gallon of peanut butter to the water and cook for an additional five minutes.
Once the mixture begins to boil again, add the corn flakes and stir until they are all dissolved. Next, strawberry jelly should be added to your mix; stir gently so as to avoid breaking apart the jelly.
Now you can pour the entire mixture into your five-gallon bucket and let it cool overnight. Then cut slabs of candy out of the plain milk chocolate candy mold, place them on wax paper or cake plates then put them in the refrigerator until they are set up.
How to make cornflake candy
Here are the steps to make cornflake candy with essential ingredients like cornflakes, sugar, and butter.
1. Gather all of your ingredients.
2. Measure out 3 cups of sugar and 1/4 cup of light corn syrup and pour them into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to the bowl and mix in thoroughly.
4. Put 2 quarts of salted popped corn into the mixing bowl.
5. Pour over the sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla mixture (which should be fairly hot by now) and mix everything with a dinner fork or spoon.
6. Pour everything onto a foil-covered cookie sheet, pat it down as you
go, then sprinkle marshmallow bits on top.
7. Place the sheet in an oven heated to 250 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 10 minutes, then check it
8. Pour into a 13 by 9-inch serving dish and let it chill until firm.
9. You can serve cold with whipped cream or ice cream or no topping at all.
How to make cornflake crumbs
Making your cornflake crumbs is an easy way to use stale corn flakes and is a great alternative to buying expensive panko or other breadcrumb substitutes.
Cornflake crumbs are about one-third of the price of panko and provide similar texture, crunch, and browning potential for your favorite recipes.
To make cornflake crumbs, turn up the heat to 350ºF. Bring a pot of water or chicken broth to a rolling boil, then add salt, butter, sugar, and corn syrup.
Boil for at least one minute. Pour this mixture over the corn flakes, trying not to make it too soggy. Add vanilla and stir well.
Pour into a greased 9×13 pan. Add pecans and press down gently into the flakes. Let cool and cut into bar shapes with a sharp knife. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar if desired.
However, you can use cornflake crumbs with cheddar corn biscuits. It can be used in bread-like stuffing; they make crusty bread that’s great with soups and stews and can be sprinkled on more delicate baked bread as a way to add texture.
To make corn flakes cookies, mix corn flakes, sugar, and melted sweet cream butter well.
Stir in egg, add vanilla and mix well.
Pour into greased pan and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon.
Spread it out on a wax paper-lined pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until it’s golden brown.
Remove the mixture from the oven and let it cool.
Additionally, you can use just corn flakes or mix the corn flakes with other cereals, such as golden Grahams or pre-sweetened shredded wheat.
How to make corn flakes without oven
Here are the simple steps which should be followed to make corn flakes without an oven.
The essential ingredients include cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking soda, and eggs.
Follow these five steps:
1. Rain the water in which rice was boiled.
2. Take a few grams of flour and add it to the drained water.
3. Keep stirring the content until it becomes thickly pancake batter-like consistency.
4. Now, pour this batter into a container (like a normal idli frying pan).
5. Now place the container on an open flame(lighter or gas burner), stirring or agitating it with a spoon regularly on a medium flame
6. The corn flakes will be formed in 15-20 minutes.
7. Let it cool down before serving or storing.
How to Make Raw Corn Flakes
You can make raw corn flakes with just 4 ingredients, start by removing the kernels from the cobs, then cut the kernels into slivers.
Next, place the pieces in a blender or food processor along with some water and salt. Then blend or process until chopped into tiny pieces.
Drain and dry the pieces in a skillet, cooking over low heat until they are completely dry and crispy.
A quick and fun recipe for raw corn flakes. Raw corn is a common ingredient in many macrobiotic dishes and can be eaten as a snack on its own or with sweet miso sauce.
Ingredients: 1 large ear of freshly picked corn; 1-2 tablespoons ordinary white flour; Sweet miso sauce, to taste.
How to Make Corn Flakes for Baby
To make corn flakes for a baby, pinch off a portion of the dough from the tube and roll it into a 6-inch diameter log. Then cut it into 12 pieces according to the size you want. Finally, flatten them with the rolling pin and bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Whether you’re giving them to your child or yourself, you can enjoy a good bowl of corn flakes in less than 30 minutes.
Which Corn Is Used for Corn Flakes?
Corn flakes are generally made from yellow corn which is the most popular eaten by humans. The whole yellow grain is used, except for the husk. That’s because the tough-tasting husk has no nutritional value, and would just make your cornflakes taste bad.
Each different type of corn has different characteristics. Southern yellow corn is starchier and denser than the rest, which gives flakes their chewy texture and the most authentic flavor.
How Should Corn Flakes Be Eaten with Hot or Cold Milk?
When you eat your Corn Flakes with hot milk, the sugar dissolves quickly, and you taste it right away. With cold milk, the sugar doesn’t dissolve right away, and it tastes a little sweeter.
If eaten with a hot drink, you should sop up the milk before adding the flakes; this is because when very hot, milk does not mix readily with cereals but forms a layer above it. If a cereal mixture contains sugar, some experts recommend stirring the flakes in first and allowing them to soak up some of the sugar in the mixture.
The sugar then helps to bind any loose flakes together. Crunchy cereals such as cornflakes need more than one stirring with a spoon while they are being eaten.
Which Milk Is Good for Cornflakes?
Two kinds of milk are good for cornflakes: whole milk and 1% low-fat milk. Whole milk contains caloric fat, while low-fat milk contains simple sugars. Both of these milk are healthy choices for adults.
The sweetness of the cornflake may mask the taste of the original whole milk and it can also complicate the texture, however, the texture of 1% low-fat milk will provide a much better mouth feel for the cereal than that of whole milk.
However, around half of consumers say that they choose what type of milk to include on their cornflakes based on its nutritional values, with some choosing to include semi-skimmed or full fat to get their daily requirements.
The process of making corn flakes has been worked on for many years. Before, Kellogg’s and General Mills owned most cereal companies, but knowing how to make corn flakes at home will be the best option if you don’t want these processed corn flakes.
- 1 Oven
- 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Set a rack in the middle of the oven and heat it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. A rimmed baking sheet should be lined with parchment paper or foil and lightly greased with baking spray or oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, salt, and 1 cup of the cornmeal. Once the mixture is smooth and thin, gradually add the vanilla essence and 3/4 cup water while churning. Add more water if the situation is too dry. Something with the consistency of pancake batter is what you need.
- Spread out the batter evenly after pouring it onto the prepared baking sheet. (Though it won’t reach the edges, that’s alright. A coating that is between 1/4 and 1/3 inch thick would be ideal.)
- The remaining 1/2 cup of cornmeal should be mixed with 1 teaspoon of water until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs; if necessary, add another teaspoon or two of water.
- Add the cornmeal crumbs to the batter’s surface (this will help give it a little extra crunchy texture).
- Keep a tight eye on it and bake in the centre of the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the dough has dried out and cracked. You want it to have the appearance of a cracked, dry desert landscape.
- Remove from the oven and lower the heat to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Use your hands to tear and break the dough into little flakes when the baking sheet has cooled. Return to the oven and bake the items for another 45 minutes or more on the centre rack, or until they are toasted, crisp, and golden.
- Before serving with milk or as you would any cereal, allow it cool fully. For up to two weeks, keep leftovers in an airtight container in a cold, dry location.