A turkey breast is a meal on its own. It doesn’t have to be confused with Thanksgiving leftovers, salads made from the leftover stuffing, or sandwiches made from cold slices of turkey. Continue reading as I will to teach you how to reheat turkey breast.
There are several ways to reheat and cook a turkey breast. However, the most important thing is to ensure that the turkey breast is cooked through, preferably to an internal temperature of 165˚.
Reheat a leftover turkey breast in a 325°F oven for 20 to 30 minutes. But you can adjust this technique to cook or reheat any turkey part, including regular or smoked turkey legs, bacon-wrapped breasts, and even whole roasted turkeys.
Note: turkey breasts that come with tenderloin attached should not be reheated. Continue reading for a step-by-step guide on reheating turkey breast with different methods.
How to reheat turkey breast
If you’re traveling and need to heat leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner, or if you want to eat turkey again, these instructions can help. Turkey is a sure source of protein, iron, and other nutrients. And reheating it will not affect these nutrients.
There are many ways to reheat precooked, cooked, smoked, frozen cooked, fully cooked, honey baked, cracker barrel turkey breast, and it is an easy thing to do.
The most popular method is to put it in the oven. Below are directions for how to reheat turkey breast in the oven and how long you should heat turkey breast in a microwave, air fryer, crockpot, and instant pot.
No products found.
How to reheat cooked turkey breast
Reheating cooked turkey is a safe process that helps keep all nutrients in and makes the meat tender and juicy again.
There are four steps to reheat cooked turkey breast successfully.
1. Defrost first: Defrost first if frozen. Place breast on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a paper towel. Defrost in the microwave oven at the lowest power setting (maximum defrost) for 10 minutes or until thawed.
2. Cool the meat down before putting it in the microwave or oven: Cool the turkey entirely before attempting to reheat it. Doing so will ensure a safe temperature. You can also slice the meat first if you need to.
3. Cook to a safe internal temperature: Place turkey in a microwave-safe dish or plate without a lid, turn breast-side down, and cover loosely with a lid or vented plastic wrap. Heat on full power for 1 minute per 100g of meat or 2 minutes per 450g, plus an extra minute, if needed. Turn over and cook uncovered for another 1 minute per 100g of beef or 2 minutes per 450g. Check that the turkey is piping hot (75°C for whole meat)
4. Let the cooked turkey sit for at least two minutes before serving: let the meat sit for at least two minutes before serving. It will allow its juices to flow back into the meat, keeping it moist and succulent when done.
How to reheat a precooked turkey breast
It’s best to reheat meat in aluminum foil or baking dishes, covered with plastic wrap, rather than in microwave dish covers of clear plastic wrap with holes poked in it. The cover will protect the meat from splatters and is easier to remove than plastic wrap.
To reheat a precooked turkey breast:
- Remove the desired serving and place it in a clean pan.
- Add an equal amount of water and cover—Cook over medium heat for about an hour.
- Check for doneness.
- Serve hot.
If you are using an oven, reheat a precooked turkey breast by placing the turkey on a baking sheet with sides in an oven preheated to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Set a timer for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
The turkey will attain an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit and be safe to eat.
How to reheat a smoked turkey breast
Here’s how to reheat a smoked turkey breast when you’ve got leftovers.
1. Wrapped the turkey in aluminum foil and put it on an ovenproof dish.
2 Preheat the oven to 325°F.
3. Cover the turkey with another piece of aluminum foil, and place the dish in the oven for 1 to 1½ hours.
4. Remove the foil and let the meat stand for about 5 minutes before carving.
However, you can also reheat a smoked turkey breast, place the boneless turkey breast in a glass baking dish. Remove any of the turkey skin and fat. Cover with foil and heat for 20 to 25 minutes at 325 degrees on low power in the oven.
No products found.
How to reheat frozen cooked turkey breast
Microwave does an excellent job of reheating a frozen turkey breast, thanks to its ability to retain heat. Just thaw and cook your turkey breast in an oven or skillet before nuking it.
To start, remove the turkey breast from the freezer and thaw it out either in the microwave or leaving it on the counter.
Once thawed, you are ready to heat your turkey breast. I recommend heating it in 10-15 minute increments until thoroughly heated.
Another method to use is placing your frozen boneless skinless turkey breast on a microwave-safe plate or dish. If it’s still cold inside, stir it with a fork every few minutes to avoid sticking or becoming unevenly heated.
Defrosted turkey may take up to 20 minutes to heat thoroughly inside.
Check the temperature with an instant-read thermometer once your turkey is thoroughly heated through and no longer pink inside. At least it should be 165° F (74° C) to kill any bacteria that could be present from handling raw poultry.
How to heat a fully cooked turkey breast
Turkey breast can be reheated in the oven or microwave. The easiest way to reheat fully cooked turkey is to use a microwave oven.
First, you need to start with the turkey breast and a large microwave-safe bowl.
Add 1/3 cup of water to the bowl, preventing the breast from drying out while cooking.
Next, place the turkey breast on a microwavable plate to easily be moved into a microwave.
Next, place the microwavable plate into the bowl with the water. Heat on high in a 1000 watt microwave for three minutes per pound.
Allow it to rest until it’s cool enough to touch it safely and enjoy!.
Warning: Never thaw or cook a turkey breast in its original packaging.
How to reheat honey baked turkey breast
Honey-baked turkey breast is so delicious and easy to make. You can cook it all day and enjoy every bite in one meal. I will show you how to reheat honey-baked turkey breast.
Step 1: Flip the turkey breast over.
Step 2: Score the horizontal seam on the bottom of your turkey breast. If a channel is already open, do not score it because the juice drains as it thaws out.
- Unwrap and pat dry.
- Then, preheat at 250 degrees in an oven for 1.5 to 2 hours or until internal temperature reads 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
It comes down to the size of your turkey breast and the shape it was initially packaged in; you may need to cut it into portions before final preparation.
How long to reheat turkey breast in oven
Reheating turkey breast in the oven by preheating the oven to 325 degrees, place the thinly sliced turkey breast in a pan or any other container you have and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
Additionally, If you have removed your turkey meat from the bone, it can be reheated in the oven to 165°F. Remove it first and stuff it with butter, cream cheese, and herbs if you use the bone.
However, many factors determine how long to reheat turkey breast in the oven. The texture and thickness of your turkey breast determine how long it takes to reheat.
Another thing you should remember is that ovens may vary from one to another.
How to reheat turkey breast in microwave
If you are cooking or reheating a turkey breast in the microwave
Kindly remove it from its original packaging and place it on a microwave-safe plate.
Make sure you cover the turkey with a damp paper towel, as this helps retain heat while cooking—Cook at 50 percent power for four minutes per pound (Turkeys vary in weight).
However, flat surfaces are best for reheating as they provide more surface area to absorb heat and spread it evenly throughout the food. You can also use wax paper to cover your food before cooking if you use a bowl or plate.
How to reheat turkey breast in air fryer
Air fryers tend to give a different flavor to food than ovens or grills. If you have too much food in the air fryer, then some of it, regrettably, is going to be challenging to reheat, and this includes turkey breast. Here is how to use an air fryer to get a good result.
First, remove the white outer fat from the turkey because it does not crisp up nicely in an air fryer.
Next, preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F and place the breast in the fryer’s basket without adding any oil or butter.
Leave it to cook for 4-5 minutes on each side and then check it using a food thermometer after 10 minutes of total cook time. Once the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, slice and serve.
How to reheat turkey breast in crock pot
There are many reasons why a person may decide to reheat turkey breast in the crockpot. Maybe you forgot to take it out of the oven, and now you are too busy to make it. Or perhaps your spouse decided to skip Thanksgiving this year, and you need some way to feed the guests that went through all the trouble of coming over for dinner. Whatever your reason, here are simple methods for reheating this dish in your crockpot.
First, line the crockpot with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place the turkey breast or whatever meat you need to reheat in the crockpot. Cover with foil if the meat is already in a sauce.
If the meat is by itself or if you want to add a sauce after it’s done reheating, then don’t cover.
Leave it to cook on low for 1-2 hours, depending on how much you have in your crockpot and how full it is.
However, 1-3 hours should do the trick. It may be extended or shorter, depending on the weight and size of your turkey breasts.
How to reheat turkey breast in instant pot
Reheating a turkey breast in the Instant Pot is similar to roasting it, and in fact, the results are pretty much identical. The only difference is using a saute setting instead of high pressure to add some vegetables.
To reheat turkey breast in an Instant Pot, plug the pot in, select ‘Manual’ setting, and set time to 10 minutes. Cover and seal the lid. The total time will be 10-12 minutes.
However, If you don’t have an Instant Pot on hand, you can use a slow cooker or even a 350°F oven instead until the internal temperature reaches 165°F for the thickest pieces.
Cracker Barrel turkey breast is easy to reheat at home. While enjoying store-bought, roasted turkey breast is preferred to cooking raw turkey.
How to reheat cracker barrel turkey breast
To reheat cracker barrel turkey breast, microwave it and heat it for around a minute to one minute and a half.
The best way to reheat cracker barrel turkey breast and make sure it is still fully cooked is to heat it for about 45 seconds on high power and then 30 seconds more on medium power in the microwave.
Another way is to reheat cracker barrel turkey breast properly by sprinkling cubes with seasoning. Then, place turkey cubes in a 350-degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
How to reheat turkey breast without drying it out
To reheat turkey breast without drying it out, in a small saucepan, heat 1/4 cup of chicken broth over medium-low heat until simmering.
In a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat, add the turkey breast and sear until well browned on both sides. Place your skillet with the turkey into the oven at 350 degrees and finish cooking (it should take 10 to 15 minutes).
Then, remove the skillet from the oven, transfer the turkey to a plate, and cover with foil. Add in wine and thyme bundle and bring to a simmer for about 3 minutes or until it begins sweating (don’t let it completely evaporate).
Remove pan from heat. Add in stock and cream, bring back up to a simmer for 2 minutes if using right away, or let cool and store overnight in the fridge until you are ready to use.
How to Reheat Turkey Slices
To reheat turkey slices, place slices in a microwave-safe dish lined with paper towels. Cover with plastic wrap and heat until thoroughly heated, about 1 to 2 minutes on high power. Alternatively, place slices between two plates in the microwave; cover loosely with plastic wrap, and cook on high power until thoroughly heated.
You can also microwave on medium power for 5 minutes. This will allow it to heat almost all the way through. Cooking them in the oven will take around 30 minutes, but they still need another 5 minutes in a microwave to reheat fully. You can also nuke them in their juices to save time if you like.
Note: there are some general guidelines you should follow. Wait 20 minutes after you heat sliced turkey in an oven set at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then check the turkey. If it is not completely heated through and hot enough to eat, turn the food over and give it another 10 to 15 minutes.
How Do You Keep a Turkey Moist When Reheating?
There are five ways to keep a Turkey moist when reheating it;
1. Use an electric oven, but cook the turkey in a pan without a lid.
2. Cook the turkey in the microwave with a dish of water in the microwave next to the turkey.
3. Keep the skin on and use an unstuffed turkey, cook it in the microwave with a dish of water in the microwave next to the turkey.
4. Stuff the turkey with wet items such as uncooked rice, try not to overdo it as this may not result in a moist bird but more likely soggy.
5. (This may be common sense) Don’t stuff or overstuff your turkey, for if you do this your bird will turn out unbearably dry and tough no matter how many times you reheat it or what method you roast it on whether gas, charcoal, or another sort of cooking implement you have.”
However, use a chef-approved bag for storing and reheating your turkey. This eliminates many of the moisture issues associated with turkey storage. If you don’t have one, get one. Second, place your turkey in a casserole dish before placing it in the bag.
As long as the casserole is cooked inside the oven, it will help preserve the juiciness of your meat while reclaiming some of that moisture that steams away when reheating in bags.
Will Reheating a Turkey Dry It Out?
Reheating a turkey will NOT dry it out. The USDA recommends cooking a whole, unopened turkey to 165°F internal temperature and letting it rest for at least 3 hours before carving.
However, If your turkey has been frozen for a long time, then no, reheating it shouldn’t dry it out. If you’re talking about just a couple of days in the freezer, then yes, it could. The reason is that the turkey dries out from dehydration. Reheating won’t dry it out any faster than cooking it will.
Although, However, if you reheat at a low temperature, 150 degrees or lower it can dry less.
Frequently Asked Question
Can you reheat turkey?
You can reheat turkey. When doing so, you MUST place the leftover turkey in a sealed microwavable-safe container to prevent the food from drying out. Also, when reheating chicken or turkey, cook it 4 minutes on high for every 1/2″ of thickness. Be sure to rotate the dish halfway through the cooking time to make sure all sides of the chicken cook evenly.
How do you warm up a precooked turkey?
Defrost in microwave or refrigerator (if thawed)—position on a flat surface in the thawed turkey container (drain juices before microwaving). Cover loosely with microwave-safe plastic wrap so that the plastic wrap doesn’t touch the turkey—microwave using high setting until heated through.
How to reheat turkey slices?
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place turkey slices in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven until heated through, 20 to 25 minutes
I firmly believe that this article on how to reheat turkey breast helped you get your turkey dinner ready. But regardless of whether you try this article’s suggestions, reheating a turkey breast is an art requiring skill, care, and patience to make sure it’s done right and comes out tasting as great as it did when it went in. It may take some practice before you can do that, but use this article as a foundation.
- 1 Pan
- 1 Oven
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 to 8 pound turkey breast
- Turn on the 375 degree oven. Put the turkey breast skin-side up in a 9×13 pan that has been gently oiled or on the rack of a roasting pan.
- Olive oil, paprika, oregano, rosemary, salt, thyme, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder should all be combined to form a paste in a small basin.
- With your finger, loosen the skin so you can pour some of the spice mixture underneath. As much of the meat as you can should be covered, so smooth it out. Apply the leftover spice mixture on the turkey breast skin using your fingers.
- The turkey should be cooked in the preheated oven for roughly 20 minutes per pound until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees. The thickest area of the breast’s core should be the one to take the temperature. The amount of time needed to roast your turkey breast will depend on its size. You can cook boneless turkey breasts more quickly. For accuracy, use a meat thermometer.
- Take the food out of the oven and loosely wrap it in aluminium foil. Once the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, allow to rest for 15 minutes. Finally, cut and serve.