Ivar’s clam chowder was created in 1926 by Ivar Haglund, and is a favorite among many people.
This creamy and savory recipe has been a Seattle tradition since its inception.
What type of ingredients does Ivar’s clam chowder use?
There are a variety of ingredients found in this rich chowder, including potatoes, onions, clams, and parsley.
All of these play a role in the wonderful flavor of this dish.
It’s true that the combination of these ingredients is what makes Ivar’s clam chowder so special and popular.
However, there are also a number of spices and other ingredients that really make the soup stand out.
How much time does it take to make Ivar’s clam chowder?
The preparation time depends on the number of ingredients you add to the recipe, and if they need to be cooked before they are added to the soup.
To make an 8-ounce (225-ml) serving, you would need to cook a total of one cup (240 grams) of clam broth and two potatoes.
Cooking the clam broth takes just four minutes, and the potatoes take 15 minutes.
Add them both to a pot, bring them to a boil for five minutes, then simmer for another 20 minutes to cook through.
For this recipe, you would also need to add six whole clams to the soup and cook them for 5 minutes.
Cooking the clams requires three minutes, while steaming and stirring in the garlic takes around another 2 or 3 minutes.
What is the origin of Ivar’s clam chowder recipe?
In 1926, Ivar Haglund was a prosperous Norwegian fisherman who had a vision to open his own restaurant.
He wanted to create the perfect comfort food, and began experimenting with different recipes.
After much work and combination of flavors, he came up with the Ivar’s clam chowder recipe.
He believed that clams have a taste that is similar to potatoes, so he combined them with other ingredients.
He also preferred using ‘Lincoln County’ potatoes for this dish, as they were locally grown in Washington State.
His customers loved the dish so much that he decided to open up a clam shack selling clam chowder.
Soon, the clam shack became part of Seattle’s culinary scene, known for its delicious seafood casseroles and chowders.
Does Ivar’s clam chowder require any special cooking techniques?
Clam chowder is very simple to make, as there are only a few ingredients.
It is actually a thick soup made from potatoes, vegetables, and clams.
Some varieties may contain dairy products, but Ivar’s clam chowder does not.
Is there any difference between Ivar’s clam chowder and other clam chowder recipes?
The traditional Ivar’s clam chowder recipe consists of potatoes, clams, onions, and a rich broth.
However, there are many variations on the recipe that differ in ingredients, method of preparation, and presentation.
For example, some people prefer to cook the potatoes with the soup rather than add them at the end.
Others do not add any clams to the recipe.
Still others will substitute other types of seafood for the clams.
The Ivar’s clam chowder recipe is still a classic Seattle favorite.
It is said to be one of the best clam chowders around and has won much acclaim.
What is the best way to serve Ivar’s clam chowder?
This rich, creamy chowder can be an excellent choice for a hearty meal.
It can also be served as an appetizer for parties or social gatherings.
The addition of herbs and spices creates a rich flavor that will make anyone feel like they’ve just had a home cooked meal.
Ivar’s clam chowder is a classic dish that should not be missed while in Seattle.
There are many variations of chowder available both on the East Coast and West Coast.
But this East Coast classic has been passed down through generations and many people still enjoy it as their favorite dish.
There are two ways to serve Ivar’s clam chowder.
You can either make it yourself, or you can order it from Ivar’s Clam Chowder Restaurant in Seattle.
Many people enjoy having their meal delivered to their door so they don’t have to worry about cooking and cleaning up afterward.
What kind of herbs and spices are typically added to Ivar’s clam chowder?
Herbs and spices are typical additions to any chowder, but Ivar’s is not like many.
According to their website, Ivar’s Clam Chowder actually has a secret ingredient.
In an article on their website, they say one of their 12 secret ingredients is “good-quality smoked ham.”
Adding that extra touch will be sure to please your guests.
Does Ivar’s clam chowder have a creamy or brothbased consistency?
Traditionally, Ivar’s clam chowder has a thick and creamy consistency.
This can be attributed to the addition of cream, half-and-half, and heavy cream.
The potato variety that Ivar’s uses is called Yukon Gold.
These potatoes are a starchy variety, which ensures the chowder will have a thick consistency.
How can I make Ivar’s clam chowder even more delicious?
As a popular soup, Ivar’s clam chowder has many variations.
One recipe called for chili in it, another for tomato base, and yet another for bacon.
It is possible to enjoy this chowder as-is, or you can add any of the ingredients below to make it even more delicious.
However, if you choose to add any of these additional ingredients, make sure to adjust the amount of each ingredient based on their quantity in the original recipe.
What are some creative ways to use Ivar’s clam chowder in other dishes?
You can use Ivar’s clam chowder to make a few dishes that are sure to satisfy every craving.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
A great party appetizer or finger food!
This recipe is perfect for parties as it can be prepared in advance and enjoyed at the party.
It is also a great recipe for any sort of party because it’s super filling, tasty, and easy to prepare.
A quick and easy lunch or dinner idea
- One of the benefits of Ivar’s clam chowder is that you can mix and match ingredients depending on what season you are having. If you have summer, try substituting half of the potatoes with fresh corn and using a little less broth.
- Try adding diced onions or green peppers instead of the carrots, or add in some chopped kale if you have some extra time.
A delicious soup to start your meal with
- Lunch can be tough when heading out to work in the morning, but there’s always something enjoyable in your kitchen that helps set the mood for a good day of work.
- If you have the time and energy on a cold day, consider making a big pot of Ivar’s clam chowder to start your day off right! This soup is sure to warm you up from the inside out.
- Ivar’s clam chowder will definitely be enjoyed by both family members and friends alike. It is so simple to make that most can whip it up within an hour or two. It combines all of the flavors people love, like garlic and onions which gives the soup a rich flavor.
- If this dish appeals to you, consider serving some crusty French bread alongside your soup. The French bread will soak up extra moisture in your soup while also providing a nice crunchy texture. Or, if croutons are your preferred side dish, try topping your soup with them instead.
- 1 Saucepan
- Drain the clams' fluid into a medium saucepan, then set the clams aside. Combine the potatoes, onions, and celery with the clam liquid.
- The potatoes should be simmered covered for about 20 minutes at medium heat with just enough water to barely cover the potatoes.The butter should be melted in a big pot.Stir in the flour after adding the butter.
- Whisk in the heated half-and-half gradually.For about 5 minutes, cook and stir until smooth and thick.Add half to three quarters of a cup of water or clam broth to make the chowder thinner.Add the clams, veggies, salt, pepper, sugar, and cooking liquid to the pan.
- Stir thoroughly and, if required, adjust the spices.