When it comes to breakfast , nothing beats a good pancake.
They’re simple to make and can be customized to fit every family member’s preference.
The Joy of Cooking recipe is a standard breakfast staple that’s sure to please the whole family .
It’s another recipe that you’ll often find in food magazines and cookbooks .
But what makes this pancake recipe different than all the others ?
What are some tips for making a better pancake?
Here’s everything you need to know about how to make pancakes from the Joy of Cooking recipe.
What ingredients do you need to make pancakes from the Joy of Cooking recipe ?
There are a few steps involved in making this recipe .
You’ll need to make sure that you have all of the ingredients on hand before you start.
- Flour for batter
- Butter for coating the griddle
- Eggs (1 per person)
- Sugar (for the pancakes)
What is the stepbystep process for preparing the pancakes from the Joy of Cooking recipe ?
To make the pancakes from this recipe , you’ll need to start by whisking together the eggs with a little milk .
This will add moisture to the batter and create a thicker batter.
Once the egg mixture has been mixed, add the flour , baking powder, baking soda, and salt .
Mix the ingredients together until well incorporated.
Next , pour a small amount of oil into the pancake pan .
The recipe calls for anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup depending on whether you’re making regular or large pancakes.
After adding oil to the pan, turn it on to medium heat.
Wait for the pan to become hot before applying any more heat .
Once it’s hot enough , pour enough batter into the pan to fill it up.
You’ll see that the amount of batter is approximately 3/4-inch thick in this recipe.
Allow the pancake dough to cook on one side until bubbles begin forming on top of it.
Once they do appear , flip over and cook for another 3-5 minutes .
To serve , transfer cooked pancakes onto serving plates and top with butter and syrup as desired.
How long does the Joy of Cooking pancake recipe take to cook ?
The Joy of Cooking recipe starts by combining the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder together in a bowl.
While this is happening, you’ll need to butter a skillet or griddle and pour in some oil for cooking.
Depending on what you’re making with the recipe , you may also want to add in a few eggs .
The batter is then poured into the heated pan .
Once it cooks through, you can flip it over using a spatula and cook it on the other side.
Finally , you’ll slide it onto a plate and serve immediately.
How can you adjust the recipe to make it healthier ?
With a recipe from the Joy of Cooking , you can make pretty much any kind of pancake you want.
The only thing you can’t do is take away the pancakes’ deliciousness and texture.
So when it comes to making healthier pancakes, it’s all about reducing the amount of fat and calories in the batter .
Try using a low-calorie oil (such as oat or canola oil) and replace any high-calorie fats with lower-fat ingredients (such as applesauce , milk or yogurt).
You may also wish to add eggs and other whole-grain flours to increase fiber intake and reduce cholesterol .
What type of pan is best to use when making pancakes from the Joy of Cooking recipe ?
For this pancake recipe , you’ll need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
When making pancakes from the Joy of Cooking recipe , you can use a variety of pans .
Joy of Cooking has the following recommendations.
“You can make pancakes in any kind of frying pan , but they’ll be fluffier if you use a cast iron skillet . It helps to keep the batter from sticking to the pan.”
We know that cast iron skillets are a popular pick for many people.
But did you know that they’re also healthier than non-stick frying pans ?
Cast iron pans contain up to 30% more iron than non-stick ones and have higher levels of copper and zinc as well .
“For easy cleanup , we recommend using non-stick cookware . Make sure to pour off any excess grease after cooking.”
The Joy of Cooking uses only a small amount of oil for cooking.
In our opinion, adding a little oil to your pan will help reduce cleanup time , which is important when it comes to this recipe .
“You can make pancakes in any kind of pan with a tight-fitting lid. If you’d like more space while cooking , however, we suggest using a glass or metal pan that allows enough room for pouring out of the batter as it cooks .”
. Glass or metal pans are ideal for making many types of healthy food because they don’t contain harmful chemicals like Teflon.
You’ll find them at most grocery stores and they’re relatively inexpensive .
What are some possible variations of the Joy of Cooking pancake recipe ?
You may have noticed that the Joy of Cooking pancake recipe calls for many of the same ingredients as other pancake recipes.
For example , it mentions milk and eggs in its list of what you need to mix together.
However, there are some differences in how you mix everything together .
Here’s a quick breakdown for what you’ll need and how to prepare your pancakes from the Joy of Cooking recipe:
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups of milk
When it comes to adding sugar and spices to the mixture , you can do one or both separately or even a combination of both .
For example, if you want to spice up your pancakes, try adding some cinnamon into the pancake batter before cooking them.
What kind of toppings can you use with the Joy of Cooking pancake recipe ?
You can put anything on your pancakes you like.
There’s no one standard for toppings , though .
With the recipe in The Joy of Cooking cookbook, you’ll find many different suggestions for serving your pancakes with different flavors and toppings.
For example, they suggest adding vanilla soy sauce or lemon juice to your pancakes along with a dollop of sour cream, some chopped nuts , or fresh fruit .
Or you can choose to add cinnamon and sugar to sweeten your pancake, or mix it up with some chopped nuts and fresh fruit.
How can you make the Joy of Cooking pancake recipe more flavorful ?
The best way to make this pancake recipe more flavorful is with toppings.
While the Joy of Cooking recipe calls for nothing more than powdered sugar , you can add other toppings.
The most common are chocolate chips and blueberries .
However, if you have any fruit or other types of berries on hand that are tart enough to stand up to the flavor of the batter, you can use them instead.
You can also add some dried fruits and nuts as toppings , which are a simple way to add some extra crunch and flavor to your pancakes.
Are there any special tips for making pancakes from the Joy of Cooking recipe ?
There are a few small details that make this recipe so great .
A few small tips will help you make the perfect pancake every time.
1. Get it in the oven !
- The Joy of Cooking recipe recommends heating your pancake mixture in a skillet on the stovetop. However , there are advantages to baking your pancakes instead of cooking them on a stovetop hot plate. To bake, simply heat your favorite recipes on a baking sheet at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through .
- Baking pancakes also makes them fluffier, which is the key to making a good pancake from the Joy of Cooking recipe. If you prefer to use a skillet, then do so , but we’ve found that not all skillets have the same amount of heat output. Try using different skillets in different locations around your house to see which one delivers the best results for your pancakes .
2. Cool down !
- Once you make your pancakes from the Joy of Cooking recipe , you’ll want to let them sit for at least 10 minutes before serving them up ! This is an important step to creating that awesome golden color in your pancake batter.
- For this reason , it’s sometimes helpful to transfer a warm stack of pancakes to a rack when they’re still hot so that they have time to cool and solidify before serving.
3. Save some for later !
- If you plan on feeding all three members of the family with these pancakes , you’ll want to make enough for everyone. However, if you’ve got a lot of pancakes already made, it might be wise to freeze them for later use in your fridge or freezer .
- Freezing can be beneficial because it gives you a chance to make sure everything is as perfect as it can be before they go into storage . If you don’t have much room in your freezer and only have room enough for two or three days’ worth of frozen food , consider freezing just one portion at a time so that the rest stay fresh.
How much batter do you need to make the pancakes from the Joy of Cooking recipe ?
A standard pancake recipe will make about six pancakes.
That’s a lot of pancakes for your family to eat , so you’ll want to make sure you have enough batter for everyone.
If you’re using an electric griddle, you can usually double or triple the recipe and don’t have to worry about it running out .
- 1 Oven
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large basin. Whisk the egg, milk, and melted butter in a another basin. All at once, pour the egg mixture into the middle of the dry ingredients and stir (with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula) just until mixed. Small lumps should be present in the batter. (Be careful not to overmix the batter; tough pancakes will result.)
- A frying pan or griddle is ready to use when a few drops of water poured on it splash when heated over medium-high heat. As necessary, alter the temperature. Alternatively, you might use an electric griddle set to 350 degrees F. (180 degrees C). Brush the pan with melted butter or oil using a pastry brush or a piece of paper towel (or spray with a non stick vegetable spray.)
- About 1/4 cup (60 ml) of pancake batter should be poured into the heated pan using a small ladle or scoop, with the pancakes being spaced a few inches apart. Turn over pancakes after their bottoms have turned brown and their top surfaces have begun to bubble (2 to 3 minutes). Prepare till almost browned (about 1-2 minutes).Repeat with the remaining batter, coating the pan between batches with melted butter or oil.
- Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup.