If you love pancakes and waffles, but can’t stand the sticky mess on your plate after eating them, then Kodiak Cake Waffles are just what you need.
What Is The Kodiak Cakes Waffle Recipe?
The Kodiak cake waffle recipe is an American food item which uses waffle mix, eggs, milk, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, oil, vinegar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice to create a delicious breakfast treat.
As per its name, this particular waffle has been created in Alaska, specifically at Kodiak Island.
It was invented by one chef who wanted to serve his customers something different from their usual meals.
The Kodiak Cake Waffle is also known as the Kodiak Pancake Waffle because it resembles the shape of a traditional pancake.
How Do You Make Kodiak Cakes Waffles?
The Kodiak Cake Waffle Recipe has been around since 2012, first appearing in a cookbook called “Kodiak Cakes Cook Book.”
It was created by Karen Davenport, who had worked at an Alaska lodge until she left to pursue her dream of owning a restaurant.
She later went on to open the Kodiak Lodge & Cafe in Kodiak, AK, which serves these delicious waffles.
The Kodiak cake waffle is known for its flaky texture and crunchy edges, making it one of the best waffle recipes out there!
You will be amazed how easy they are to make – here’s everything you need to know about this amazing waffle recipe.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- Coconut Oil (for frying)
- Syrup (optional)
(Note: If you don’t have coconut oil, try using cooking spray instead.)
What Ingredients Do You Need For Kodiak Cakes Waffles?
Kodiak Cakes are usually eaten with syrup, butter, and fresh fruits like strawberries or blueberries.
The cake itself is made from flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
You will also need some coconut oil for frying the waffles.
- 1 cup all purpose flour (white)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Coconut Oil for cooking
- Fresh Fruit
- Whipped Cream
How Long Does It Take To Make Kodiak Cakes Waffles?
Kodiak cake waffles take about 20 minutes to prepare.
The first step in making these waffles is mixing together the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pecans (if using).
You will also mix up the wet ingredients by combining milk, eggs, oil, vanilla extract, and baking soda.
The mixture should be stirred well until there are no lumps left.
Then, pour this into a large bowl and stir in some melted butter to create an even consistency.
Once everything has been mixed thoroughly, transfer the entire mixture onto a hot waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer instructions.
This usually takes between 3 and 5 minutes per side depending on how many pieces of waffle you have.
When they are finished cooking, remove from the iron and let cool before serving.
For best results, use fresh waffle irons rather than frozen ones to ensure your waffles turn out perfectly crispy.
If you don’t have a waffle iron, try frying them in a skillet instead!
What Is The Nutritional Value Of Kodiak Cakes Waffles?
Kodiak Cakes waffles have more than 50% less fat compared to regular pancakes.
The low fat content makes these waffles healthier for those who want to eat without sacrificing taste.
In addition to this, they also contain 0 grams of cholesterol, 2 grams of protein per serving, and 13 grams of carbohydrates per serving.
The nutrients found in Kodiak Cakes waffles include vitamin B6, niacin, vitamin E, zinc, iron, magnesium, potassium, and folate.
These vitamins help keep the body healthy by promoting good health.
For example, vitamin B6 helps maintain a strong immune system and reduces fatigue while vitamin E improves skin quality.
Nutritional breakdown for one Kodiak Cake Waffle
- Fat: 8 grams (16%)
- Carbs: 10 grams (20%)
- Protein: 1 gram (4%)
- Fiber: 3 grams (7%)
How Many Calories Are In Kodiak Cakes Waffles?
The calorie count for one Kodiak Cake waffle is between 150 to 250 calories depending on how much syrup, butter, and other toppings you choose to eat it with.
Calories don’t tell the whole story though.
To get an accurate picture of what each topping adds to your total caloric intake, we have to take into account both calories from fat and carbohydrates.
Since Kodiak Cake waffles aren’t very sweet, they contain minimal amounts of sugar (sugar content varies by brand).
The ingredients list also doesn’t reveal any hidden sugars either.
So if you want to reduce your daily calorie intake while still enjoying some deliciousness, Kodiak Cake waffles are definitely worth trying out!
What Is The Serving Size For Kodiak Cakes Waffles?
Kodiak Cakes have been around since 2003, when they were first introduced by Kodiak Foods Inc., which was purchased later by General Mills.
The company produces more than 100 different types of frozen foods, including ice cream, yogurt, cereal, and baked goods.
However, their most popular product remains the Kodiak Cake Waffle, which has become a staple at breakfast time across America and Canada.
The original Kodiak Cake Waffle recipe contained 1/3 cup (1 ounce) whole milk, 2 tablespoons sugar, 3 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 cups all purpose flour, 4 teaspoons baking powder, and salt to taste.
This recipe was changed slightly in 2013 to include coconut oil instead of regular vegetable shortening.
This change resulted in an increase of approximately 10% in calories, fat content, and carbohydrates.
In addition, it also increased the overall cost of production due to the fact that coconut oil costs $5.00 a pound compared to shortening, which sells for less than half of that price.
However, despite this slight alteration in ingredients, the taste and texture remain very similar and the calorie count remains exactly the same, making for one delicious breakfast treat!
You will find that Kodiak Cakes come in three sizes, ranging from small to large.
Large Kodiaks are sold in packs of six while medium and small ones sell individually.
Each pack contains two small or four large Kodiaks, depending on the flavor.
You can buy these waffles online from Amazon, Walmart, Target, and other retailers nationwide.
How Many Servings Per Recipe For Kodiak Cakes Waffles?
Kodiak cake waffles have three main components: the waffle, the topping, and the sweetener.
The base of each waffle contains two eggs plus flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
Once mixed together in a bowl, this mixture will be poured onto the top of a waffle iron to form a circular shape.
This process creates the basic structure of the waffle itself. Next comes the topping.
There are several different types of toppings available for these waffles, including maple syrup, brown sugar, powdered sugar, chocolate chips, whipped cream, strawberries, bananas, peaches, fresh berries, marshmallows, honey, bacon bits, pineapple chunks, and more!
You can choose from any one of these toppings, or mix up your own combination based on your taste buds.
The final key component of Kodiak Cake Waffles is the sweetener.
Each set of waffles has its own unique brand of sweetener.
Some people prefer using only granulated sugar while others may use light brown sugars.
If you want to try something different, you can even add some cinnamon into your waffle batter if desired.
In terms of how much sweetener goes into a single Kodiak Cake Waffle, it all depends on which sweeteners you select.
For example, when making Kodiak Cake Waffles with regular granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon (15 grams) of sugar should be used for every 3 cups (710 ml) of liquid.
However, if you decide to go with light brown sugar instead, you would probably add the same amount of sugar into the batter, but divide those tablespoons by half because there is less total volume of liquid in the mix.
When it comes time to measure out the ingredients for your Kodiak Cake Waffles, always start off with measuring the liquids first.
After you pour them into the mixing bowl, follow up by adding the dry ingredients, starting with the flour, followed by the other ingredients listed above.
When you reach the end of the list, continue pouring everything back into the liquid ingredients until they are completely combined.
What Are The Directions To Make Kodiak Cakes Waffles
To make Kodiak Cakes waffles, start by preparing all of the ingredients in advance.
It will help ensure everything comes together quickly so it doesn’t take too long to cook.
- Place 2 tablespoons unsalted butter into a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow this to melt completely before adding in 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Once the mixture has melted, add 3 large eggs and whisk until they have fully incorporated into the mix.
- Next, pour in one third cup of whole milk and stir it thoroughly into the egg mixture.
- Finally, combine two teaspoons baking powder with one teaspoon cinnamon and set aside.
- Once these three components are ready, dump them into a mixing bowl and stir well.
- Add 2 cups flour to the wet ingredients and continue stirring until the batter is smooth. Make sure not to overmix.
- Afterwards, fold in half of the remaining flour (1/3 cup) using a spatula.
- Then repeat this process again. Once finished, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the batter to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- When the time is up, preheat an iron griddle pan over high heat. As soon as the pan gets hot enough, spray it with nonstick cooking spray and wipe away any excess.
- Dump out about 1 tablespoon of the batter onto the heated surface of the pan, leaving space between each cake. Use your finger to spread the batter evenly across the entire surface of the pan (about 4 inches wide).
- Leave the first batch alone while you work through the rest of the batter. After spreading the last layer of batter, allow it to sit for another minute before sliding it off of the pan onto a cooling rack.
- Repeat steps 5 – 8 twice more to complete the recipe.
- The waffle
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups Kodiak Cakes mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup water
- To a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, egg, blueberries with juice, Kodiak mix, vanilla, and water. Mix well.
- To prevent the waffles from sticking, preheat the waffle iron and coat it with non-stick spray. Pour tiny circles of batter into the waffle iron using a ladle. Waffles should be cooked in accordance with the waffle iron’s instructions. Eat anything warm, cold, hot, or room temperature.