Spaghetti and tomato sauce are a classic combination that has been around since the late 1800s.
It’s no wonder why it’s such an iconic food in our culture!
The mexican spaghetti recipe below will help you recreate this comfort food at home with ease.
What Is The Best Mexican Spaghetti Recipe?
You can’t go wrong when making Mexican spaghetti.
This meal requires very few ingredients, but they’re all carefully selected to ensure your pasta turns out perfectly every time.
The secret lies in pairing the right types of pasta with the right type of sauce, then finishing things off with some fresh herbs or spices to add additional flavor.
If you want to make sure your mexican spaghetti is as authentic as possible, be sure to use regular dried pasta like penne, linguine, fettuccine, etc.
You’ll find that these pastas hold up better than their more expensive counterparts (like angel hair).
How to cook mexican spaghetti
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil.
- Add salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1/4 cup butter.
- Once boiling, add 3 cups uncooked medium-sized egg noodles.
- Cook according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain, rinse under cold running water, and set aside.
- In large skillet over medium heat, melt remaining tablespoon of butter. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until translucent.
- Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper, and bring mixture to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare Italian breadcrumbs by combining flour, parsley, Parmesan cheese, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Stir together eggs and milk, then combine with bread crumb mix.
- When 10 minutes have passed, pour one quarter of the cooking liquid into the prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the breadcrumb mixture on top of the tomatoes, followed by the cooked pasta. Repeat process with remaining liquid, breadcrumb mixture, and pasta.
- Cover and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
What Is The Easiest Mexican Spaghetti Recipe?
This Mexican Spaghetti Recipe uses canned tomatoes, but fresh or frozen diced tomatoes work just as well.
You can also use jarred chili peppers instead of green chilies if you prefer.
The only thing you’ll need to adjust is the amount of water used when cooking the noodles.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups low-fat chicken broth (or vegetable stock)
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- 1 pound uncooked pasta (spaghettini works great here!)
What Is The Most Popular Mexican Spaghetti Recipe?
When searching “the best Mexican spaghetti recipe,” people are typically looking for one thing: a quick meal they can make on busy nights or when entertaining guests.
This is where the simplicity of the mexican spaghetti recipe comes into play.
“Mexican” isn’t necessarily synonymous with “authentic.”
There are many “fake versions” out there that have nothing to do with Mexico but instead use canned tomatoes, jarred pasta sauces, and other ingredients that don’t come from the country itself.
Instead of these imitations, we’re going to focus on recipes that use fresh produce and traditional cooking methods.
You’ll find that these dishes are more than just a simple tomato-based side dish — they’re full meals in themselves that require little prep time and minimal cleanup!
If you want to learn how to cook like a pro, check out all of our free online courses here!
What Is The Most Authentic Mexican Spaghetti Recipe?
MEXICAN SPAGHETTI RECIPE WITH TOMATO SAUCE AND CHILES
- 1 lb (500g) dried spaghetti pasta
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 2 limes
- Pinch of sugar
- Optional: 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- Optional: 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- Optional: 1/2 cup shredded cheese
Step one, cook your pasta according to package directions until al dente.
In a skillet over medium heat, warm up the olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
Add the spices and continue cooking until fragrant, approximately another minute.
Add the tomatoes and stir well to combine.
Cook on medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding salt and pepper as needed.
Remove from heat when slightly reduced but still chunky.
Toss together the cooked pasta, salsa verde, lime juice, and optional ingredients like corn, olives, and cheese, then serve immediately.
What Is The Healthiest Mexican Spaghetti Recipe?
To make a healthy version of Italian pasta dishes like this one, be sure to use low-fat or fat-free ingredients.
This means using only fresh tomatoes as opposed to canned ones, which can have added sugar and preservatives.
If your tomatoes aren’t ripe enough, simply add them towards the end of cooking time so they don’t turn into mushy messes.
You should also try to avoid heavy cream, butter, cheese, and other high calorie toppings.
Instead, opt for healthier alternatives like nutritional yeast, olive oil, avocado, spinach, or salsa.
What Is The Tastiest Mexican Spaghetti Recipe?
This type of pasta can be found all over Latin America, but its most popular version comes from Mexico.
The main ingredients include tomatoes, garlic, chili powder, onion, cilantro, oregano, salt, pepper, and oil.
This mixture is then added to a pot of boiling water until it starts to boil, after which time you’ll add your cooked noodles.
Once they’re done cooking, drain them by dunking them into cold water.
Once they’ve cooled down enough, toss them with some olive oil or butter (your preference) before serving.
Mexican spaghetti is also often served with refried beans as well as avocado, sour cream, cheese, and guacamole.
You could even top it off with some salsa if you want to make it more authentic.
What Is The Simplest Mexican Spaghetti Recipe?
This is one of those recipes where simplicity is key.
And once you have everything together, you’ll be able to enjoy some great Italian-inspired Mexican cuisine right in your own kitchen.
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces uncooked gluten free spaghetti noodles
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey breast meat*
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese**
- Sliced avocado***
- Black olives****
- Parmesan cheese****
*If using boneless chicken breasts instead of ground meat, add 1/2 teaspoon paprika to the seasoning mix above.
If you’re making this recipe without pasta, use 2 cups cooked brown rice per serving.
**If you don’t want to buy pre-shredded cheese, shred your favorite block of mozzarella yourself.
***Optional toppings include diced fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced green onions, black beans, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and more…just go crazy!
****For added flavor, sprinkle each plate of spaghetti with Parmesan cheese before adding the rest of the ingredients.
What Is The Quickest Mexican Spaghetti Recipe?
This quick mexican spaghetti recipe doesn’t need to be cooked all day long or anything like that.
This one takes just 20 minutes from start to finish because there isn’t much prep time involved.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 Celsius)
- Pour some olive oil into a baking pan
- Add 1 pound of ground beef, browning until done
- Drain excess fat from meat before adding onions, garlic, peppers, jalapeños, cumin powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, and crushed tomatoes. Cook over medium heat on stovetop while stirring regularly.
- Once mixture reaches boiling point, remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly. Once cooled enough to handle, add shredded cheese and mix well. Add half of the meat/cheese mix back to the same pan and stir thoroughly.
- Now take another pan, pour some more olive oil onto it, then place spaghetti noodles into pan. Stir them around so they’re coated in oil but not soggy yet.
- Place pan in oven for 5-7 minutes, checking every few minutes to ensure pasta is getting heated through without burning.
- When ready, top each serving bowl with remaining meat/cheese mix and enjoy!
What Is The Most Filling Mexican Spaghetti Recipe?
A quick search on Google suggests that there are many different recipes out there to choose from when making mexican spaghetti.
But which one should you try first?
The answer depends on what kind of experience you have cooking before.
- If you’re used to eating Mexican dishes like tacos or burritos, then go ahead and use your favorite ingredients here. You can even add some shredded cheese if you want to make the meal more substantial.
- If you’re not much into spicy foods but still love the taste of them, then maybe something with less heat would be better for you. Try using mild chili powder instead of hot stuff. Or just skip the whole spice thing altogether and serve the dish plain.
- For those who don’t really care about the spiciness factor, then you might as well take advantage of all the other flavors in the dish by adding extra vegetables. You could also try serving the dish over pasta sheets (like lasagna sheet) so that you get a thicker, chewier texture. Just make sure you cook each layer separately so that they won’t stick together while baking.
So now let’s talk about how to make these mouth-watering mexican spaghetti meals.
What Is The Most Economical Mexican Spaghetti Recipe?
If you’re looking to make your favorite mexican spaghetti recipe on a budget, there are plenty of ways to do so.
The key here is finding affordable ingredients that can be used to create multiple meals throughout the month.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/3 cup fresh minced garlic)
- 2 large tomatoes (about 2 pounds total), diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
You’ll also need:
- 16 ounces dry linguine pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
To begin, heat up some EVOO in a pan over medium heat.
Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant before adding the onions and stirring constantly until they become translucent.
Next, add the chicken stock and cook down by half, about 5 minutes.
Once reduced, add the tomatoes and bring everything back to a simmer.
Let this mixture reduce again while cooking the linguine according to directions.
Once done, drain off excess liquid and toss together all of the ingredients in a bowl.
Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
Serve immediately or store leftovers in the fridge for later use.
- 1 Pan
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil( EVOO)
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 16 ounces linguine pasta
- Salt and pepper
- To begin, heat up some EVOO in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant before adding the onions and stirring constantly until they become translucent.
- Next, add the chicken stock and cook down by half, about 5 minutes.
- Once reduced, add the tomatoes and bring everything back to a simmer. Let this mixture reduce again while cooking the linguine according to directions.
- Once done, drain off excess liquid and toss together all of the ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve immediately or store leftovers in the fridge for later use.