There’s no denying it – Miami Vice was one of the coolest TV shows ever made.
The show took place during the 1970s, when Miami was at its most glamorous, and featured an unforgettable cast of characters including Don Johnson as undercover detective Sonny Crockett, and Michael Beck as his partner Ricardo Tubbs.
If you watched this iconic series back then, chances are you remember watching the episode “Miami Vice” where Crockett and Tubbs track down a drug ring run by a corrupt politician who happens to be Sonny’s father.
In order to catch him, they need to get close enough to find out what he knows about his son’s death which occurred while he was on duty.
It’s only fitting, then, that we have created a Miami Vice drink recipe that captures all of the excitement and suspense associated with the show.
What Is In A Miami Vice Drink?
As well as being a fun activity for any party or event, the Miami Vice drink can also help you impress your friends and family.
Here’s how to create a memorable version of the famous beverage.
- Garnish with lime wedges if desired.
- Add ice into a highball glass, pour in 1 ounce (30ml) of dark rum, add 2 ounces (60ml) of pineapple juice, and top up with ginger ale until full.
- Serve immediately.
How Do You Make A Miami Vice Drink?
The first thing you will want to do before starting your Miami Vice drink recipe is to choose some quality ingredients.
You don’t just want any old pineapple juice or cranberry juice, so you should go for something specific if possible.
- Pineapple Juice: If you can buy fresh pineapple juice, then use it. But if not, opt instead for canned pineapple juice which comes from concentrate so it won’t require refrigeration. Pineapples are harvested throughout the year, but their peak season is between February and April. If you live somewhere tropical like Florida, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico, you may even be able to pick up some fresh pineapples right off your local supermarket shelves!
- Cranberry Juice: Cranberries grow mainly around Canada and parts of Europe, though there were once many varieties found growing wild across North America too. They are considered to be at their best between September and November, so look for them in stores from those months onwards.
- Rum: Rum has been used for centuries as a digestive aid, and it’s also enjoyed for its flavor and aroma. If you plan to serve your Miami Vice drink to guests, it’s always better to use aged rums. However, since aged rum isn’t cheap, you might consider using younger rums which still taste great after aging.
- Ginger Beer: Ginger beer is another classic ingredient that pairs well with rum. This tasty beverage is usually mixed with carbonated water, sugar, and other spices such as ginger root and coriander seed. It’s available in different strengths and colors depending on how much alcohol is added to it.
What Is The Origin Of The Miami Vice Drink?
The creation of the Miami Vice drink starts with three juices from different types of fruit.
However, instead of using fresh ingredients like oranges or lemons in their original form, these juices are canned for convenience.
Pineapple juice, orange juice, and cranberry juice are mixed together to create a rich tropical flavor that will pair well with any type of alcohol.
A small amount of dark rum is added to give the drink some depth, and it is topped off with soda water so that it can be served cold without diluting the taste too much.
This recipe takes inspiration from many other drinks that were popular during the 70s, but it also has a few subtle differences.
For example, there isn’t a lime wedge included in the mix because limes weren’t commonly available until later years, but if your local grocery store does carry them, you should definitely add those in!
Also, don’t forget to shake up the mixture before serving, otherwise it might become cloudy once opened.
What Is The History Of The Miami Vice Drink?
The Miami Vice drink has been around for years, but it wasn’t until after the show ended in 1989 that it became popular among those looking for something cool to sip on their patio or poolside.
This drink is also known as the “Pineapple Rum Cocktail,” because of how similar it is to the classic Piña Colada.
However, unlike the piña coladas, the Miami Vice drink doesn’t contain any coconut milk.
It does feature some pineapple juice, though, so if you want to make your own version of this tropical cocktail, don’t skip adding some fresh pineapple slices into the glass before serving.
You can either use canned pineapple juice, or add fresh pineapple straight from the fruit itself.
You will also need to top off the cocktail with some dark rum, such as Bacardi 8 Year Old Dark Rum.
If you prefer to go easier on the alcohol, try using light rum instead.
As long as it contains sugar, however, it should still work just fine!
How Did The Miami Vice Drink Come To Be?
The Miami Vice drink recipe comes from celebrity chef Todd English, whose restaurant Japantown serves up some amazing cocktails.
He says that he created the drink for a friend who wanted something different than the usual drinks served there.
English was inspired by the way people would mix their own drinks in bars around New York City.
So, he decided to take inspiration from the famous ‘70s television show Miami Vice and create a drink that captured the spirit of the show itself.
The result was a drink that combined the flavors of rum, pineapple juice, and cranberry juice into a delicious combination that you can now enjoy whenever you want!
What Are The Ingredients In A Miami Vice Drink?
The following list includes everything you will need to make your own version of the famous Miami Vice drink:
- 1 ½ ounces dark rum
- ¾ ounce fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- ½ ounce passion fruit syrup
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- 3/4 cup crushed ice
- ½ ounce fresh lemon juice
You can use any type of rum here, but if you want to really go wild with your choice, try using Havana Club 10 Year Old Rum instead of Dark Rum.
What Is The Recipe For A Miami Vice Drink?
The Miami Vice drink recipe requires the following ingredients:
- 1 ounce dark rum
- ¾ ounce white rum
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup orange juice (fresh)
- juice from ½ lime (fresh)
- ⅓ cup sugar syrup or simple syrup (equal parts water + sugar)
- dash bitters
Mixing these five ingredients together will create a delicious and unique taste combination that is sure to make your next gathering memorable.
If you don’t want to use a mixer, simply pour everything into a glass and stir vigorously until mixed well.
What Are The Directions For Making A Miami Vice Drink?
To create your own version of the Miami Vice drink, first mix 2 ounces (60ml) of Bacardi white rum in half a cup (120ml) of fresh pineapple juice.
Add 1/4 cup (30ml) of freshly squeezed orange juice and 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of fresh lemon juice into the mixture.
Next, add 1 teaspoon (5ml) of simple syrup and a splash of grenadine.
Finally, fill up the rest of the glass with club soda until the liquid reaches the rim of the glass.
How Can I Make A Miami Vice Drink?
The first thing you will want to do in order to create your own version of Miami Vice drinks is decide which type of alcohol you would like to use.
You could opt to go for something light such as vodka or gin, but if you prefer something stronger, you may choose to try using tequila instead.
Once you’ve chosen your spirits, you will need to purchase some ingredients.
These include fresh pineapple, lemonade concentrate, sugar syrup, lime juice, orange juice, club soda, and ginger ale.
If you happen to live near a supermarket or grocery store, there should also be a bottle of Bacardi Rum available for purchase.
What Is A Miami Vice Drink?
A Miami Vice drink is not just any old cocktail, but rather a beverage that features the signature flavors of the show – Rum, Pineapple Juice, and Cranberry Juice.
These three ingredients combine together beautifully in a delicious concoction that will surely transport you straight into the heart of South Florida in 1974.
While there aren’t many recipes for the famous Miami Vice drink online (this being something of a secret amongst true fans), it may come as some surprise to learn that it originated from the late 1960s.
This popular drink has been around since 1967, and originally had a different name.
At first, it was known as the Miami Beach Cocktail, and later changed to simply the Miami Cocktail.
So, how did it become so well-known?
Well, let us tell you…
- 1 Glass
- 2 oz. White Rum
- 2 Cups Strawberries
- 1 1/2 oz. Simple Syrup
- 1/2 oz. Grenadine
- The ingredients for each layer should be combined with ice in a blender and pulsed until smooth.
- Alternately layer the two mixtures into a hurricane glass or drop them in the centre with a spoon while doing so.
- Add a strawberry as the garnish.