Ocean Spray cranberries add an irresistible sweetness and juiciness to this scrumptious loaf.
What Is The Recipe For Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread?
The cranberry was developed in 1845 by Charles Lathrop Orcutt at Long Island College of Medicine (now known as Hofstra University).
He noticed that when he cut open one of his own cranberries, he found seeds inside.
In fact, there are more than 100 different types of cranberries on Earth — each with their unique taste and color.
Today, most cranberries grown in the United States come from Wisconsin, Washington State, North Carolina, and New Jersey.
The U.S. imports about 85 percent of its cranberries, which makes up over 10 million tons annually.
Cranberries have been around since ancient Greece.
They were used to treat eye infections, stomach problems, urinary tract issues, and other ailments.
Today, they’re still being studied because of their medicinal properties.
One study showed they can help prevent kidney stones and urinary tract infections.
Another research group discovered that cranberries could be beneficial against bacteria associated with cystitis, urinary tract infections, and bladder cancer.
They’re also rich in antioxidants like vitamin C, anthocyanins, and ellagic acid.
Antioxidants protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals, which are unstable molecules that cause cell damage.
When we eat foods high in antioxidants, our bodies produce less free radical activity, keeping us healthier overall.
So what’s so special about cranberries?
Well, they contain proanthocyanidin, a type of antioxidant called polyphenols.
Polyphenol-rich fruits include apples, plums, blueberries, pomegranates, red grapes, cherries, strawberries, red wine, green tea, and cranberries.
These compounds may help prevent heart disease and improve blood flow throughout the body.
Some studies show cranberries may even reduce inflammation that occurs during arthritis treatment.
But why does Ocean Spray use only fresh cranberries in their cranberry bread?
It turns out that frozen cranberries don’t provide enough moisture to the dough.
Fresh berries actually contain water, which helps keep the crumb soft while baking.
Fresh cranberries are available year round, but peak season runs through November and December.
You’ll find them in supermarkets and specialty food stores near holiday decorations.
You can buy dried cranberries too, but many people prefer using those instead of fresh ones.
Dried cranberries will last longer if stored properly.
Simply place them into a paper bag and store them in a cool dry place away from light exposure.
If you want to freeze them before storing, first wash them under cold running water and pat them dry with a clean towel.
Now let’s see how to make Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread!
How Do You Make Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread?
Cranberry is one of those foods that’s so good no matter how often you eat it, but if you don’t have access to fresh cranberries, canned will work in its place. (You can also buy dried cranberries.)
- 4 cups flour (1 pound)
- 3/4 cup sugar (6 tablespoons) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (5 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon salt (3 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 stick butter at room temperature (8 ounces), cut into small pieces (I prefer salted)
- 1 egg beaten with 2 Tbsp water (just enough to blend)
- 1 cup dry white wine (or other alcohol)
- ¾ cup cold water (12 fluid ounces)
- ½ cup frozen cranberries (thawed)
What Are The Ingredients For Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread?
This is one of my favorite recipes because it uses only natural ingredients.
It’s loaded with cranberries, which have antioxidants called anthocyanins.
These compounds can help protect your body from free radicals and cancer cells by preventing them from proliferating.
They also contain vitamin C, fiber, potassium, manganese, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and iron.
For more information on how these nutrients work together in health benefits, check out our article about why eating fruits and vegetables is good for you.
- “Oceanspray” was originally named “Cran-Apple” when it first came onto shelves back in 1916. The name changed when the company decided it sounded too much like another brand of fruit juice. Nowadays, “Oceanspray” is known as “Ocean Spray.”
How Long Does It Take To Make Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread?
The process of making cranberry bread takes about 2 hours from start to finish, including baking time.
It’s best when you can plan ahead and have everything out before starting your first step in the recipe.
For example, if you need the dough to rise overnight, then let the yeast do its thing while you sleep!
You can also use frozen berries, which will be thawed by the time the bread bakes.
Prepare the cranberries according to package instructions.
The amount depends on how many servings you want to make at one time.
If you like more than four slices per serving, double the recipe.
Combine all dry ingredients together in large mixing bowl.
Whisk well to combine.
Add butter and mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some larger pieces of butter remaining.
In another medium-sized bowl, whisk eggs, milk, honey, oil, salt, and vanilla extract until combined.
Pour liquid into flour mixture and stir just enough to incorporate.
Fold in cranberries gently.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in warm spot (about 80 degrees F) for 1 hour or until mixture rises slightly above tops of sides of bowl. Stir briefly after 30 minutes.
Grease two 9×5 inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray and dust top of each pan lightly with flour.
Divide batter evenly between both pans.
Cover loosely with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes, or until edges begin to turn golden brown and center feels firm when pressed gently with a finger.
Remove from oven and cool completely in pans on wire racks.
For those who don’t mind eating their breakfast cold, you can slice the cooled bread right away and enjoy it fresh.
However, we recommend keeping it in the fridge so it stays nice and soft.
To store, wrap tightly and freeze up to six months.
What Is The Nutritional Information For Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread?
A single slice of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread has just under 100 calories, 2g fat, and 1g saturated fat.
It also contains 3mg sodium per serving.
- The nutrition label shows that each slice of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread provides about 110 calories.
- To get your daily recommended amount of calories from a slice of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread, you need two slices.
- Each piece of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread contains 0.8 grams of protein.
- For every gram of protein in Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread, you will also receive 5 milligrams of calcium, 5% of your RDI vitamin C, 7% of your RDI vitamin A, and 8% of your RDI riboflavin.
Fat (% kcal)
- One slice of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread contains less than half a percent of total energy intake from fat.
- You’ll also be getting 6% of your daily value of dietary fiber in one slice of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread.
Saturated Fat (%)
- There aren’t any trans fats contained within the ingredients of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread.
- In addition to being low on saturated fat, the nutrient breakdown also includes 4% of your day’s worth of folate, 10% of your day’s worth of iron, and 15% of your day’s worth of potassium.
- While most people know that carbs are important when trying to maintain a healthy weight, they may not realize how much carbohydrate content there is in a single slice of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread.
- If you want to stay well-fed while maintaining a healthy weight, then you should eat at least 30 grams of carbohydrates per meal, which equates to three servings of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread.
- With a whopping 9 grams of fiber, each slice of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread offers more than enough nutrients to keep you full throughout the day.
- This high level of fiber helps improve digestion and keeps blood sugar levels stable by preventing foods from reaching your bloodstream quickly after eating them.
- Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread contains a pretty high dose of Vitamin D, with each serving providing almost 50% of your daily requirement.
- Vitamin D is essential to help regulate bone health, prevent osteoporosis, and protect against cancer. By consuming Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread, you’re helping yourself to build strong bones and ward off certain types of cancers as well.
- As mentioned above, Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread contains 15% of your daily requirement of Iron, so we recommend having three pieces of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread per day for optimal absorption.
- Your body uses iron to produce hemoglobin, a substance vital to transporting oxygen around your body. Without adequate amounts of Iron, iron deficiency can develop.
- Even though Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread only contains 15% of your daily requirement of Potassium, don’t let this put you off from enjoying your morning treat!
- Every time you eat something rich in potassium, it triggers our bodies to release stored water into our cells where it can be used to replace what’s lost through sweat or urine.
- Like potassium, phosphorus isn’t found in large quantities in Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread, but it certainly doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy some.
- When you eat foods containing phosphorus, it triggers your kidneys to excrete that excess out through urination. Phosphorus is needed for building and repairing tissue, regulating heart function, and other bodily functions.
- Another ingredient packed with minerals is Zinc, which is known to aid in wound healing and strengthen muscle growth.
- Just like many other minerals, zinc aids in the proper functioning of over 300 enzymes, which makes it crucial for overall cellular health.
Where Can I Find The Recipe For Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread?
The best place to get your hands on the original recipe for Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread is online.
A quick search will turn up plenty of recipes using Ocean Spray’s products as ingredients.
This recipe comes from one such source, The Food Network Kitchen with Chef Bobby Flay.
You may be surprised at how easy it is to make this tasty loaf of cranberry-flavored goodness.
It calls for just four main ingredients (plus salt), which means you don’t have to worry about having all of them stocked in your pantry if you’re not set up to bake.
This recipe also has very few steps to follow, making it a great choice if you want to whip something up quickly.
You’ll need two cups of whole wheat flour, three tablespoons of sugar, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking soda, 3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 cup of dried cranberries, and a jar of Ocean Spray cranberries.
Once you’ve got those items ready, you can start mixing.
First, mix together the plain white flour, yeast, and salt until well combined.
Add the remaining dry ingredients and stir again.
Then, add the liquid ingredients, including the Ocean Spray cranberries, and knead everything into a ball.
Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and let rest for 10 minutes.
After resting, roll out the dough so it’s roughly 12 inches by 8 inches.
Now, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once it’s hot enough, lay out your prepared pan and cover it with a piece of parchment paper.
Roll out the dough so it covers the entire bottom of the pan.
Cut away any excess dough and then spread the cranberries over the top of the dough.
Bake this delicious treat for 50 minutes before removing it from the oven.
Let cool completely before slicing and serving.
How Many Calories Are In Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread?
The USDA recommends limiting your daily calorie intake to 2,000 per day.
That means you should eat no more than 35 grams of fat, 25 grams of carbohydrates, and 100 milligrams (1/10th teaspoon) of cholesterol each day from food sources.
You may also want to be mindful of how much sugar is contained within any given meal.
This is where Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread comes into play.
With just over 7 grams of total carbohydrate, this flavorful bread contains only about 3 teaspoons of added sugar.
It’s low-fat with less than 60 percent of its calories coming from fat.
The remaining 40 percent are made up by 10 grams of protein and 16 grams of fiber.
All of these nutrients have been shown to help reduce hunger pangs between meals as well as keep you feeling full longer after eating.
If you’re looking for an easy way to boost your diet without sacrificing taste, then Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread is one of the best choices out there.
How Many Carbs Are In Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread?
This recipe yields 15 slices with 3 grams of net carbohydrates per slice (or 6 percent).
That means you can eat about 1/3 cup of this bread without worrying about your carb count getting too high.
The amount of carbs in this recipe comes from the dried fruit, which has 10 grams of carbs per serving.
You also have some additional carbs coming from the flour and milk used to make the dough.
When looking at the total amount of carbs in this recipe, we find that they come out to be 21 grams per serving, making this an average-carbohydrate choice for most people.
If you want to reduce the number of carbs while still enjoying this tasty treat, consider using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour as well as substituting skimmed milk for regular milk.
What Is The Fat Content Of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread?
The fat content of Ocean Spray Cranberry Bread comes from butter, which adds moisture and richness.
The amount of butter depends on how much you use, but most recipes call for about 3 tablespoons (45g) per slice.
Is Ocean Spray Cran
cranberries are one of America’s best-known brands of fresh berries.
This tart berry has been cultivated in North America since at least 1792 when they were first introduced from France.
They’re available year round and can be found frozen as well.
The brand was founded by Edward J. Albee (1864-1947) who established his business on Cape Cod in 1887.
He became known as “the father of cranberry culture” because he developed ways to grow them without frost damage.
“Cranberry” comes from the Latin word ‘crānabra’ which means ‘thorny’.
These wild berries with their thick skin are hard to harvest but have a sweet taste that makes them popular among both humans and animals alike.
When it comes to harvesting these little jewels, you’ll need special equipment like a cranberry harvester and some expertise.
There are over 30 different species of cranberry plants around the world all with slightly different flavors and textures.
The most common varieties grown commercially include Lowbush, Highbush, and Prostrate forms.
Ocean Spray Cranberries are harvested during low tide so they don’t lose too much water while picking them up off the ground.
To make sure they retain their natural moisture levels, they’re packed right after being picked into containers called “tubs.”
In order to prevent bacteria growth, cranberries must always be kept refrigerated until they reach your local grocery store where they can be purchased ready to eat.
You should also keep them away from other fruits that may contain pectin, such as apples, plums, peaches, apricots, and grapes.
- 1 Oven
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon orange peel
- 1 egg well beaten
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup nuts chopped
- turn the oven on to 350 degrees. Clean and grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a medium mixing basin, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the egg, oil, orange peel, and orange juice. Blend thoroughly after mixing.
- Add nuts and cranberries and stir.
- In the loaf pan, distribute evenly.
- A toothpick placed in the centre of the cake should come out clean after 55 minutes of baking.
- Cool for 15 minutes on a rack.
- Remove from pan and allow to fully cool.