Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce is a sweet and tangy fruit-based condiment that contains no added sugar or preservatives.
This classic American holiday favorite has been enjoyed by people around the world since 1948.
What Is The Recipe For Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce?
The secret behind this popular brand’s success comes from its fresh ingredients.
The company uses only 100% pure Michigan grown cranberries in their products.
They also use natural flavors, as well as no artificial colors or preservatives.
In addition, they are gluten free, vegan friendly, non-GMO, and have no trans fats.
For most of us, there is nothing more delicious than homemade cranberry sauce during Thanksgiving dinner.
You will find it on almost every table at your family gathering.
In fact, according to one study, Americans eat about 2 cups per year, which means that we consume over 1 million pounds of cranberries annually.
For those who love their cranberries hot, the best way to enjoy them is with a glass of ice cold milk.
If you like yours chilled, then try making it into a simple syrup.
If you want an easier solution, you can buy pre-made Ocean Spray cranberry sauce.
However, if you prefer to create your own version using all natural ingredients, follow these steps below to learn how to make Ocean Spray cranberry sauce.
- Step 1 – Wash your cranberries thoroughly under running water.
- Step 2 – Put them in a large pot and cover them with apple cider vinegar.
- Step 3 – Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the berries pop open and start to burst. As soon as the berries begin popping, remove the pot from heat and let cool down.
- Step 4 – Once cooled, strain out any remaining pulp and seeds. Use a blender to blend the cranberries into a smooth sauce.
- Step 5 – Add the juice of half a lemon.
- Step 6 – Transfer the sauce back into the pot and simmer over medium low heat until ready to serve.
How Do You Make Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce?
To create this delicious treat, you will first have to select your cranberries from the grocery store.
The best way to pick out fresh cranberries is to look at them in person.
They should have a bright red color with some light brown spots on the surface.
If they are not looking their best, don’t buy them.
Next, rinse them off under cold water until all debris falls away.
After rinsing them, place the cranberries into a large pot along with 2 cups of water.
Bring it up to a boil over medium heat. Boil the berries for 10 minutes, then remove them from the burner.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cranberries to a bowl filled with ice water to cool down quickly.
Once they are cooled, drain them well and set aside.
In the same pot where you boiled the cranberries, add 1 cup of granulated white sugar, 1/4 cup corn syrup, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and 6 ounces of orange marmalade.
Stir everything together using a whisk until smooth.
Next, pour the mixture back into the pot used to cook the cranberries.
Turn the stove on low heat and let it simmer without stirring for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, turn the heat to high and stir constantly for another 15 minutes.
When the sauce reaches its desired thickness, allow it to sit for several hours so the flavors develop before serving.
What Ingredients Do You Need For Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce?
The main ingredient in this cranberry sauce is fresh cranberries.
You’ll also need water, granulated white sugar, salt, cornstarch, lemon juice, vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, ginger, cloves, cinnamon stick, allspice, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
All of these ingredients are common staple ingredients found at any grocery store.
They aren’t hard to find, but if you don’t have them on hand, they’re not difficult to order online or from another local retailer.
How Long Does It Take To Make Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce?
The process for making this delicious cranberry sauce takes just 45 minutes from start to finish.
You will begin with chopping fresh cranberries into small pieces, then adding them to your food processor along with other key ingredients like orange juice, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and pepper.
Once all of these are mixed together in your food processor, you’ll want to turn on the machine and let it run until everything comes together smoothly.
Once the mixture is ready, give it another taste test before transferring it to jars so you know how much more seasoning you might need to add.
When you are happy with the flavor, place your finished product into an airtight container and put it away for later use.
Because this recipe calls for only three main ingredients – fresh cranberries, oranges, and spices – you don’t have to worry about any extra work once the sauce is done.
Just pop open a jar of Ocean Spray cranberry sauce whenever you need some at your next family gathering or holiday party.
What Is The Nutritional Value Of Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce?
Cranberries are one of the healthiest fruits available.
They contain antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C, folate, potassium, magnesium, iron, copper, calcium, zinc, manganese, phosphorus, omega fatty acids, and more.
When choosing an Ocean Spray cranberry sauce recipe, you want to keep in mind how much of each nutrient your family will consume during the course of the year.
For example, if someone eats three tablespoons (30g) per day, they’ll need about 1 cup (250ml) of this product over the course of the year.
For those who eat six tablespoons (75g), they’ll need 2 cups (500 ml).
The average adult consumes 5.4 teaspoons of salt on their daily diet, so we recommend buying two 14 ounce jars of cranberry sauce.
That way, everyone gets at least half of their recommended daily intake of sodium.
What Is The History Of Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce?
Originally developed in the 1930s on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, where it was first known as “Cape Cod Cranberries” and then eventually “Pomona® Cranberry Sauce,” this delicious spread quickly became one of America’s most beloved wintertime staples.
The company later expanded its operations to other regions across North America, including Alaska, Canada, and Florida.
In 1948, the brand was purchased by the Canadian company Ocean Spray, which continues to produce and sell the product to this day.
In addition to producing canned cranberry products like juice and sauces, Ocean Spray also produces several other tasty varieties of non-canned foods, such as jams, jellies, and frozen desserts.
How Did Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce Become So Popular?
The popularity of this iconic condiment spread quickly after its introduction in 1948.
The company was founded on March 29th, 1869 as Wm. G. Ladd & Company.
In 1888, William “Billy” G. Ladd started making jams and jellies at his family farm in Maine.
The Ladds were well known for their innovative recipes which included flavors like cinnamon apple, lemon curd, and pumpkin pie filling.
In 1916, Billy sold the business to his son, George A., who changed the name from Wm. G. Ladd & Co. to the more recognizable Ocean Spray.
George brought innovation into the industry with the invention of an automated packing machine in 1919.
He also expanded the product line to include many different types of products including pickles, relishes, and canned vegetables.
By 1928, Ocean Spray had grown into one of the largest food manufacturers in America.
However, it wasn’t until 1932 that they began producing their first cranberry sauce.
At first, the sauce was only available in small batches but eventually became a staple ingredient among families throughout New England during the 1940s.
Why do we love this cranberry sauce so much?
Cranberries have always been associated with Thanksgiving because they are most commonly used for cranberry sauce.
They add tartness and sweetness while still maintaining a balance between those two qualities.
There are few other fruits that can match the flavor profile that cranberries offer.
And even though there are plenty of other varieties out there, including blueberries, raspberries, cherries, and gooseberries, cranberries are undoubtedly one of the best.
However, not everyone loves these little berries.
Some people find them too sour when eaten raw, especially if they aren’t stored properly.
But when combined with other ingredients, such as sugar and orange juice, cranberries turn into something delicious.
What Are Some Interesting Facts About Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce?
When it comes to cranberries, we know they’re pretty tasty, but how much do you really know about this tart berry native to North America?
Here are a few fun little tidbits about cranberries that will surprise even the most seasoned cranberry connoisseur.
- Cranberries have been cultivated in North America for over 6,000 years.
- The name “cranberry” actually refers to two different types of berries – one found in Europe and another found in North America.
- In order for cranberries to grow on trees, they must be exposed to sunlight during the winter months (when temperatures drop below freezing).
- Over 90% of all cranberries grown in commercial quantities are produced in New England.
- Only 1/4th of the total crop of cranberries used in U.S. production is consumed as fresh fruit.
- A gallon of cranberry juice contains less than 100 calories.
- Although not technically an ingredient in Ocean Spray cranberry sauce, cranberry extract has been shown to help prevent urinary tract infections caused by E. coli bacteria.
- Not only does Ocean Spray cranberry sauce contain real cranberries, but also pomegranate seeds, which are very high in antioxidants.
- Although cranberries aren’t exactly a health food, research shows that eating them may improve your immune system, reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, fight cancer cells, and protect against diabetes.
What Are Some Common Uses For Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce?
Whether you’re looking forward to entertaining guests at your home this year or just want something delicious with which to top off those Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches, Ocean Spray cranberries are an excellent choice.
They’ll add a splash of color to any meal, and they’re also quite versatile in cooking.
You can use them as a topping on pancakes, waffles, French toast, oatmeal, salads, meatloaf, chicken, fish, vegetables, and more.
For best flavor results, it’s important to follow directions carefully when using this product.
If you don’t have much experience working with cranberries, then consider buying frozen ones instead of fresh ones from your local grocery store.
How to Use Ocean Spray Cranberries In Cooking
- Add ½ cup (125 mL) of freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 teaspoon (5 mL) of salt per 8 ounces (250 g) of cranberries.
- Cover and let sit overnight.
- The next day, drain and rinse cranberries well under cold running water. Place drained cranberries into a medium pot filled with 2 quarts (2 L) of boiling water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Place cranberries in food processor bowl fitted with a steel blade attachment. Process cranberries while slowly adding 1/4 cup (60 mL) of water, one tablespoon (15 mL) at a time through feed tube. Once all cranberries are processed, cover bowl tightly and refrigerate up to three days.
- To prepare sauce, combine 3 cups (750 mL) each of orange juice concentrate and apple cider vinegar in large glass jar. Add ¼ cup (60 mL) of granulated sugar to mixture, stirring until dissolved. Pour mixture over cranberry puree in refrigerator container and stir gently until blended well. Cover tightly and chill up to five weeks before serving.
- To serve, spoon chilled cranberry sauce into plastic containers lined with wax paper. Seal tightly and store in refrigerator up to two months.
What Are Some Tips For Making
If you want to use an electric mixer, just remember that it will take longer than using your hands.
You may need to add more liquid if yours isn’t whipping up quite as quickly as you would like.
- You should always start with cold ingredients, so don’t skip this step.
- It takes about 10 minutes for the berries to cook down into sauce. Start checking at 5 minutes after adding them in.
- Once everything starts getting warm (about 10 minutes), turn off the heat and stir regularly until thickened.
- Add salt to taste before serving.
How to store
Store both the cooked sauce and uncooked berries in airtight containers in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Once opened, keep refrigerated and consume within 1 week.
Make sure to follow these storage instructions when preparing any type of food from Ocean Spray Cranberries.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 frozen cranberries
- Make sugar soluble. Over medium-high heat, add the sugar and water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Put cranberries in. Cranberries are added to the pan and brought back to a boil. Maintain continual stirring while sometimes scraping the pot’s sides.
- Simmer. For around 8 to 10 minutes, simmer the sauce, uncovered, until the majority of the berries have burst and the sauce begins to thicken.
- Cool. Turn off the heat and allow the room to warm up. When ready to eat, serve or put in the refrigerator.
- Serve. Cranberry sauce from Ocean Spray can be served cold, heated, or at room temperature. It works well as a filler for sandwiches, a salad topping, and baked cheese dishes like turkey and other meaty dishes.
- Store. Put the recipe in an airtight container, then store it in the fridge for up to two weeks.