Do you ever crave something sweet but don’t want to go through the hassle of baking or cooking it yourself?
If so, then this recipe for protein French toast may be just what you need.
What Is The Best Protein Powder For Making French Toast?
Protein powders are used by athletes and bodybuilders to build muscle mass.
But they also come in handy when it comes to dieting because many contain high amounts of protein that will help sustain energy levels throughout the day.
Many people use them as an alternative to eating food items that have lots of carbs.
Protein powders can replace some breads, cereals, pasta, and other carbohydrates while still giving you enough calories to get you through the day.
Now if you’re wondering how much protein there is in these products, and whether you should buy one over another, here’s a quick rundown on the two most popular ones: whey and casein.
- Whey is usually made from milk proteins like whey protein isolate (WPI), whey protein hydrolysate (WPH), or whey peptides. The amount of protein per scoop ranges between 20-25 grams depending on which brand you choose.
- Casein is mostly derived from cow’s milk and contains about 15% fat. Each gram has around 8 grams of protein.
- There are several types of protein powders available. Some are designed specifically for weight loss, others are geared toward athletic performance, and still others are meant only for those who suffer from certain medical conditions.
Here we’ll take a look at the benefits of each type and find out exactly which kind of protein powder would work well for our French toast breakfast.
Weight Loss Protein Powders
Most weight loss supplements make their money off of selling us the promise of losing weight quickly.
And while some of the claims are true, it doesn’t mean that any particular product will actually do anything for you.
That said, here are the main ingredients found in weight loss protein powders:
- L-Carnitine L-Tartrate
- Green tea extract
- Chromium picolinate
- Magnesium citrate/malate
- Garcinia cambogia extract
While not every weight loss supplement will include all of these compounds, studies show that combining chromium picolinate with garcinia cambogia extract helps suppress appetite while increasing thermogenesis (the production of heat).
In turn, this leads to increased calorie burning during exercise and better overall health and metabolism.
In addition to these ingredients, some weight loss supplements include caffeine, green coffee bean extract, and guarana seed extract.
Caffeine increases blood flow and therefore oxygen delivery to cells, allowing more nutrients to enter into the bloodstream.
Green coffee beans have been shown to increase metabolic rate, improve insulin sensitivity, and boost endurance capacity.
Guarana seeds are known to reduce hunger and promote satiety.
Performance Protein Powders
These protein powders are designed to fuel your muscles and give you stamina during intense workouts.
They typically contain higher doses of creatine monohydrate in comparison to weight loss products.
Other key components include:
- Beta alanine
How Much Protein Is In A Serving Of French Toast?
French Toast has only 5g of carbs per slice and contains 20 grams of protein.
That means that each slice will give you around 8 grams of protein.
This amount of protein is enough to sustain muscle growth while helping you burn fat at the same time.
You can eat one piece of bread (about 2 slices) topped with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter as well as 4 ounces of skim milk and get an adequate amount of protein from this meal.
The fact that it takes about 15 minutes to make French toast might seem like a lot, but once you have made the batter and set out to bake it, it won’t take too long.
All you have to do is pop it in the oven and wait until it becomes golden brown on top!
If you are looking for another healthy breakfast option that also contains protein, check out these other recipes here:
- Veggie Scrambled Egg Sandwich Recipe
- Protein Pancakes
- Breakfast Pizza
Peanut Butter – You can use any kind of nut butter you would like, including almond, cashew, hazelnut, sunflower seed etc.
What Is The Best Way To Cook French Toast?
This recipe requires very little effort on your part.
You simply mix up some eggs, milk, bread slices, and spices, pour them into a pan, and let them sit until they are firm enough to slice into pieces.
Then, you place those slices on top of a hot frying pan and bake them until golden brown.
While not as labor-intensive as other methods (like baking), this method still takes about ten minutes total from beginning to end.
And while others will say that the “French Toast Method” isn’t the most efficient way to make French toast, I disagree.
In my opinion, there are many reasons why this particular method is superior to any others out there.
- The amount of time needed to prepare this dish is minimal. If you have a busy schedule, making this recipe can take less than half an hour. Plus, since it only needs to simmer for a few minutes before it’s ready to eat, preparing this dish is much easier than if you had to wait several hours to have breakfast.
- Since this recipe uses egg whites instead of whole eggs, it does not require additional ingredients like salt, pepper, and butter. While these items do add flavor, using egg whites allows you to save money without sacrificing taste.
- Egg whites also contain more protein and healthy fats compared to regular eggs which makes this meal even healthier for you. Since this recipe contains no added oil, fat, sugar, or carbohydrates, it is ideal for people who are trying to lose weight.
- By combining eggs with milk, this recipe creates thick custard rather than runny batter. This thicker texture ensures that your French toast stays nice and soft when cooked. By contrast, if you try to cook French toast using water alone, the bread will get soggy after being soaked by the liquid.
What Is The Best Way To Serve French Toast?
The most common ways to eat protein French toast include slicing it into squares and dipping them in syrup before eating.
You can also make the bread cubes themselves into little sandwiches by topping them with jam and cream cheese.
Another popular option is making the bread into patties that you grill on an outdoor barbecue.
If you enjoy these options, then they will work well here too.
In terms of how much protein there is in each serving, we have included below some information about our recipes.
We hope this helps you decide which one is right for you.
How Many Calories Are In A Serving Of French Toast?
The average American consumes about 20% more than their recommended daily caloric intake.
A simple slice of bread can pack over 100 calories per serving, which means that even if you eat two slices, you will still exceed your daily calorie target by quite a bit.
If you have been making the same breakfast every week for months on end, it might become difficult to change up your routine enough to meet your new daily goals.
Try these other healthy recipes instead of plain old toast
- Eggs Benedict Sandwich Recipe [No Longer Available]
- French Toast Stuffed Crepes Recipe [Broken URL Removed]
What Is The Best Way To Make Protein French Toast?
Protein French toast consists of strips of bread that have been soaked in egg-based batter and fried until golden brown.
The protein content comes from eggs and milk powder.
Protein is an essential nutrient that helps build muscle tissue, which makes up about half of our body weight.
In addition, proteins help us maintain healthy skin, hair, nails, cartilage, bones, muscles, blood cells, and more.
Milk powder contains casein, whey, lactalbumin, fat globules, and other substances.
Casein is one of the most important components of milk, as it provides calcium and phosphorus for strong bones and teeth.
It also plays a role in maintaining proper hormone levels in the body.
Lactalbumin is another major component of milk that contributes to its creamy texture and aids digestion by helping food pass easily into the intestines.
Milk powder can also provide vitamins B12, A1, D, E, K, zinc, copper, magnesium, and selenium.
Eggs contain both albumin (which builds structure) and cholesterol (which regulates hormones).
They also serve as a source of vitamin D3, riboflavin, biotin, niacin, pantothenic acid, folate, choline, and lysine, among others.
Eggs are also high in protein and low in carbohydrates, fats, and sodium.
What Is The Best Way To Eat French Toast?
The first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions “French toast” is pancakes…and while that certainly isn’t wrong, there are other options available.
To get started on any meal plan, it is important to know how to cook the food properly.
When preparing protein French toast, you have two choices: either use bread made from flour (which can be found in most grocery stores), or use the bread itself as the base for the dish.
How to Make Protein French Toast With Bread Flour
- Cut off one end of each slice of bread
- Slice bread into 1/4-inch slices
- Mix eggs and milk together in separate bowl
- Place soaked bread on nonstick skillet over medium heat until golden brown on both sides
- Remove from pan and place in shallow container
- Add egg mixture to bread, turning pieces around to coat thoroughly
- Return bread to same skillet again over low heat
- Cook until bottom side has set
- Turn bread onto plate, top with desired toppings, and serve immediately
This method works well if you like having a fluffy texture to your breakfast.
However, depending on the type of bread used, it will come out very dense.
How To Make Protein French Toast With The Base Of The Bread
With this method, you will not be using an additional ingredient such as eggs or milk.
You simply take advantage of the natural structure of bread by slicing it up into thin strips and frying them until they turn crispy.
- Soak bread in water overnight
- Drain bread and pat dry
- Combine salt, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in small mixing bowl
- Slice bread into 3/8-inch thick strips
- Fry strips in deep fryer at 350° F approximately 2 minutes per batch
- Transfer fried strips back to paper towels to drain excess oil
- Allow to cool completely before serving
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar for extra flavor
What Is The Best Protein Powder For Making Protein French Toast?
Protein powders are great for adding extra nutrients to food without increasing its calorie count too significantly. Protein powder comes in different forms — some powdered while others come as bars, drinks, shaker packets, etc.
For our purposes here, we will focus on how well these products work when used as part of a meal like this one, which is made from proteins found in eggs, milk, cheese, cream cheese, breads, and more.
Why use protein powder instead of whole foods?
The reason why many people choose to use protein powder over other types of nutrition supplements lies within their cost-per-serving value.
Whole foods are often more expensive than their processed counterparts.
For example, an egg costs $1.50 per dozen, whereas a scoop of whey protein powder that contains 24 grams of protein sells for about $7.00 at most grocery stores.
While there is no doubt that protein powders can help save money, they aren’t always ideal replacements for whole foods.
Instead, they should be considered supplemental sources of certain vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants found only in whole foods.
As such, using them regularly won’t necessarily lead to weight loss.
In fact, research shows that consuming high levels of protein (and fat) throughout the day helps us feel fuller longer and aids in suppressing cravings for unhealthy snacks.
In addition, eating enough protein boosts your metabolism and increases muscle mass, helping you burn calories faster and build lean muscle tissue.
Benefits of protein powder
As mentioned above, protein is important for building muscles and maintaining healthy cells.
When you consume protein, your body has to break it down into amino acids before it can pass through the digestive tract and enter the bloodstream.
This process takes time, however.
If you skip breakfast, your blood sugar drops rapidly, causing fatigue, hunger pangs, and even mood swings.
But if you wait until lunchtime, your energy level will likely dip again after mid-morning hours.
And if you delay dinner, your body will begin storing excess energy as fat.
To avoid these problems, consider incorporating protein powder into your diet.
You can add it to smoothies, make oatmeal, or mix it with water and yogurt to create a shakeable alternative to fruit juice.
How Much Protein Is In A Serving Of Protein French Toast?
Protein French Toast Recipe
- 1 egg (or 2 eggs)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (cut into cubes)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened, optional)
- 1 scoop whey protein powder (optional)
- In a shallow dish mix together the first five ingredients until well combined.
- Place cubed bread on a plate and pour mixture over top. Mix thoroughly by turning the pieces around to coat them evenly.
- Sprinkle both sides of each piece of bread with cinnamon and sugar.
For some people, adding 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut will make the protein more palatable, while others prefer their food without any added fat.
If you like things extra creamy, add one scoop of whey protein powder instead of mixing the two together as listed above.
The beauty of this recipe is that there really isn’t anything else needed besides these basic ingredients.
You can whip up this tasty breakfast in less than 10 minutes.
What Are The Benefits Of Eating Protein French Toast?
Protein French Toast has been around since at least the 1950s when it was first introduced as a breakfast food by General Mills.
It is also known as “French Toast Sticks” or “French Toast Bites” and can be made into an egg sandwich if you prefer that type of meal.
The reason why protein French toast is such a popular choice among consumers is because it does not require any special equipment like a bread maker.
You won’t have to worry about having to wait for several hours while your loaf rises before slicing it up.
This means that you can make protein French toast on a whim without having to get out of bed too early.
- 6 slices bread gluten free
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- With the exception of the bread, combine all the ingredients in a mixing dish.
- Make sure each piece of bread is completely submerged in the “custard” mixture. Continue until all of the bread has been consumed.
- Cooking spray a non-stick pan lightly, then set it over medium heat. When the pan is heated, add the bread pieces and cook for 4-5 minutes, flipping once.
- Immediately serve the French toast after sprinkling it with powdered sugar.