If you love smoked fish, you need to try this smoked trout dip recipe.
It’s a tasty and unique way to enjoy fish, with just a few simple ingredients and the smoke flavor adds a nice depth of flavor.
What ingredients do you need for smoked trout dip?
Smoked trout dip is made with smoked salmon.
In addition to the smoked fish, you need cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and garlic for flavor.
After that, you just need lemon juice and pepper for a bit of a citrus twist.
You can use any other smoked fish in place of the trout.
Smoked mackerel works well in the dip or you could add some chicken livers or smoked shrimps for additional flavor.
The recipe we’ll be making is on the milder side of smoked dishes, so it’s perfect for those who haven’t eaten much smoked fish before.
How much smoked trout do you need for the dip?
1 stick butter, cubed
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/4 cup of mayonnaise
1 cup of chopped smoked trout
1/4 teaspoon paprika powder (optional)
How long does the smoked trout dip take to prepare?
Preparing this smoked trout dip recipe doesn’t take long at all.
You’ll only need to chop up some smoked trout and make a simple sauce.
The cook time is only about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your smoked fish.
What is the best way to serve the smoked trout dip?
Smoked trout dip is a great appetizer or snack to serve at any occasion.
It’s quick and easy to make with just a few simple ingredients, and the smoked flavor adds a nice depth of flavor.
It’s also an alternative to the traditional chips and dip combination, making it a great option to add to your menu.
Smoked Trout Dip Recipe
- Wash and slice the smoked trout into small pieces.
- In a food processor, blend together the cream cheese with mayonnaise, and add in smoked fish until well distributed.
- Pour egg whites into a large bowl, beat with an electric hand mixer to stiff peaks and fold into cream cheese mixture until completely mixed.
- Add in Worcestershire sauce, onion powder and paprika, then fold through very thoroughly with a spatula until all ingredients are combined.
- Place mixture in a large bag, tie up tightly.
- Cut off a corner of bag, squeeze out as much air as possible (this will help the dip keep its shape) and pipe into mini-muffin cups over an ice-cube grid.
What other ingredients can be added to the smoked trout dip?
This smoked trout dip recipe calls for just four ingredients.
If you like a lot of additional flavors to your dip, feel free to double or triple the amount of ingredients.
The smoked flavoring used in this smoked trout dip recipe is pretty strong, but it also has a rich smokey flavor, so if you don’t care for the taste, you can adjust the amount of smoked flavoring used.
For example, if you’d prefer a less powerful smoke flavor, use half as much smoked flavoring or just add some extra seasonings.
Likewise you can increase or decrease the amount of the other ingredients to suit your own personal tastes.
How long can the smoked trout dip be stored in the refrigerator?
You can keep this smoked trout dip for up to two days in the refrigerator.
However, we recommend serving it immediately after it’s prepared, as it will start to get soggy if left out too long.
What are some variations of the smoked trout dip recipe?
The smoked trout dip recipe above is the classic version, but there are many other variations to try.
Here are some other recipes to get you going on your own:
- Smoked Trout Dip – This recipe from Baking Butter makes a delicious smoked dip with a unique sweet and smokey flavor.
- The process of making this dip is straightforward and easy, so you can enjoy a great appetizer with friends and family.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs – This recipe for smoked trout deviled eggs is not only pretty, but it’s delicious too.
- The smokey salmon mixture works really well with the creamy eggs, so you’ll want to make a batch of these to enjoy throughout the week.
- Spicy Smoked Trout Dip – When people think of dip recipes, they usually think of spicy dips like salsa or guacamole.
- But if you like your dips a little more balanced, try this great smoked trout recipe from Serious Eats.
- It’s an interesting mix of flavors and spices that’ll keep your taste buds guessing.
What type of crackers or chips work best with the smoked trout dip?
Smoked trout dip is perfect with toasted English muffins, but also works well with crackers and chips.
You can use any kind of crackers that are plain or flavored, but I prefer a very light and crispy cracker for this recipe.
I think that smoked trout dip would taste great with rye or pumpernickel crackers if you’re looking for something a little heartier.
If you don’t mind the salt from the fish and prefer something sweeter, you can add a little honey for flavor or try some of your favorite sweetened crackers like cinnamon or apple puffs in place of the plain crackers.
How can you make the smoked trout dip healthier?
This smoked trout dip recipe is a great appetizer or snack to serve at any occasion.
It’s quick and easy to make, but you can tweak it to make it healthier.
Use low-fat cream cheese and low-fat sour cream for a lighter version.
You can also substitute low-fat mayonnaise for the regular version.
The smoked flavor will not be as pronounced, but it will still taste great.
Other healthy options include adding extra veggies like tomatoes and cucumbers for extra flavor, or making it with avocado instead of cream cheese for a vegan version.
How can you make the smoked trout dip spicier?
If you want a spicy smoked trout dip, there are a couple of things you can do.
The smoked salmon dip recipe we mentioned earlier is very flavorful, so if you want to add more spice to it, you should definitely give that a shot.
The other option is to increase the amount of cayenne or chili powder you use, in addition to the garlic and onion.
- food processor
- 1/2 lb trout smoked
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp horseradish prepared
- 1/2 tsp paprika smoked
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice or more to taste
- Slide a sharp knife between the skin and the smoked trout to remove the skin. Remove the skin.
- Divide the trout into rough pieces. Set aside some time
- Smoked trout, cut into pieces
- In a food processor, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo until smooth.
- Blend in the salt, spices, and lemon juice until well combined. Scrape down the machine’s sides. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the smoked trout pieces and pulse the machine about 15 times, just until the trout is broken up and evenly distributed, but the dip still has some texture.
- Taste to see if you need to adjust the spices or add more lemon juice.
- Place the dip in an airtight container and chill.
- When the dip has completely chilled, it is ready to serve. It will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.