The starbucks coconut lime bar has been one of their most popular treats since it was first introduced in 2014, but what exactly makes these delicious snacks so special?
You may not know that they’re made with real coconut and fresh limes—so let us explain how to make your own at home!
What Is The Starbucks Coconut Lime Bar Recipe?
Starbucks Coconut Lime Bars are incredibly easy to make at home.
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream (or milk)
- Zest of 1 large lime
- Juice of 2 large limes
- Pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Line an 8-by-8 inch pan with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except nuts until well combined.
- Add one tablespoon of the mixture into each corner of prepared pan, pressing down firmly with fingers.
- Sprinkle half of the chopped nuts over top of batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350°F (180°C) or until edges start to pull away from sides of pan.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Enjoy immediately!
How Do You Make A Starbucks Coconut Lime Bar?
Starbucks’ Coconut Lime Bars are made with actual coconut and fresh limes.
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (or more if needed)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cups granulated sugar (plus extra as needed)
- Juice from 1 medium-sized lime
To start, mix together all the dry ingredients, including the sugar.
In a separate bowl, beat together the cream cheese, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir well until combined.
Fold in the shredded coconut and juice from half a lime.
Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper, then pour in the batter.
Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until set.
Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
What Are The Ingredients In A Starbucks Coconut Lime Bar?
Starbucks Coconut Lime Bars contain just four simple ingredients: sugar, butter or shortening, eggs, and vanilla extract.
The sweetener is usually granulated white sugar.
The other three ingredients are all common baking staples used in almost every dessert imaginable.
If you want to recreate this classic treat yourself, here’s everything you need to know about the ingredients in a starbucks coconut lime bar.
This isn’t an exact science because there aren’t any strict guidelines on which type of milk you can use, but we hope our tips will help you create something similar.
There are two types of coconuts available today: regular (or “light”) and full-fat.
Both have the same nutritional value, but full-fat contains more saturated fat than light coconut milk does.
- Regular coconut milk: Regular coconut milk comes in cans and cartons under different brand names like Coco Lopez and Just Gelato.
- Full-fat coconut milk: Full-fat coconut milk can be found in jars or canned containers in the supermarket aisle next to the regular coconut milk.
A freshly-squeezed lemon is great, but lemons don’t always grow well where I live.
That’s why I prefer using limes instead.
They’re easy to find everywhere, even if they’re only sold during certain seasons.
- Sour limes: Sour limes add a sour tang to the bar. You won’t get much juice out of them, but they still taste pretty good.
- Sweet limes: Sweet limes give off a milder flavor compared to sour limes.
Eggs are another ingredient commonly found in desserts.
Eggs provide moisture, structure, and richness to baked goods.
Vanilla extract adds a subtle sweetness and complexity to the bar.
It’s also very versatile because you can mix it into batters, frostings, and sauces as well as bake with it.
How Many Calories Are In A Starbucks Coconut Lime Bar?
Starbucks coconut lime bars have a whopping 1,400 calories per bar.
That’s about 20 percent more than the average American woman should consume daily, according to the US Department of Agriculture (USDA).
In addition to being packed full of sugar and fat, there aren’t any fruits or vegetables included in this treat.
It also contains no protein or fiber whatsoever.
So if you want to be healthy, skip the bar altogether!
Instead, try out our other favorite recipes, like the oatmeal cookie brownie snack pack.
If you do decide to indulge, keep reading below to find out all the details on how much of each ingredient goes into making a single bar.
Ingredients for a Starbuck’s Coconut Lime Bar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 pound light sour cream
- Zest of 2 medium-sized limes
- Juice of 1 ½ large limes
- Cocoa powder for dusting
Method for a Starbuck’s Coconut Lime Bar
First, prepare the lime juice by juicing two limes.
After adding the zest to the bowl, add the sugar and salt, then stir until well mixed together.
Next, measure out ¼ cup of the sugar mixture and set aside.
Using an electric mixer, mix half of the remaining sugar mixture with the sour cream until smooth.
Then fold in the rest of the sugar mixture.
Next, pour the batter into a 9×13 baking pan lined with plastic wrap.
Spread evenly across the bottom of the pan, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and refrigerate overnight.
Once chilled, remove the sides of the baking pan and lift off the foil.
Cut the cold cake into 16 even pieces using a knife dipped in hot water.
Place them back in the refrigerator while preparing the topping.
For the topping, combine the remaining ¼ cup of sugar with the cocoa powder and whisk until thoroughly combined.
Now comes the fun part: sprinkle some of the topping over the top of each piece of cake before serving.
Finally, place the leftover topping in a small container and store in the fridge.
This will give it time to harden so that when you serve the bars, it won’t melt as quickly.
What Is The Nutritional Information For A Starbucks Coconut Lime Bar?
Starbucks isn’t just famous for its coffee drinks and food items.
The company also offers a wide variety of healthy snack options as well.
One of those tasty treats is the starbucks coconut lime bar.
This sweet treat comes in three different flavors: caramel macchiato, vanilla latte, and chai tea spice.
Each flavor contains 100 calories or less per serving.
In addition to being low calorie, each bar also contains around 10 grams of carbs (per bar), no added sugars, and 3% of your daily value of vitamin C.
While this is certainly an impressive list of ingredients, we wanted to find out more about the nutrition facts behind them.
To do so, we reached out to a starbucks employee who shared some insight into the process used to create these flavorful treats.
Here’s everything you need to know about making starbucks coconut lime bars at home.
- Ingredients: Starbuck’s uses a blend of organic brown rice syrup, pure cane sugar, natural palm oil, whole milk powder, dairy-free whipped cream, sea salt, and egg whites as main ingredients when creating their coconut lime bars.
- Process: To prepare the bars, the starbucks employee revealed that the mixture is cooked down until it reaches 200 degrees Fahrenheit before adding the remaining ingredients. Once mixed together, the bars are then placed on cookie sheets covered by baking parchment paper, and baked at 170 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Nutrition Facts: Each bar contains 100 calories or fewer, which means that they’re a great option if you want to stay within your weight loss goals.
- Serving Size: One starbucks coconut lime bar serves approximately two people.
- Calories Per Serving: Calories range between 80 and 100 depending on the type of bar.
How Much Sugar Is In A Starbucks Coconut Lime Bar?
Starbucks Coconut Lime Bars are sweetened with agave syrup (sugar), which contains 50% less calories than granulated white sugar.
Although this means you need to eat fewer of them per serving, if you’re counting sugar grams, you should avoid starbuckssugar-sweetened products altogether.
Instead, opt for natural options like raw honey or pure maple syrup.
In terms of ingredients, each bar includes three types of fruit: coconut, lime, and almond butter.
The combination of these fruits results in an overall sugar content of about 10 grams per bar.
If you prefer to stick to lower sugar choices, you can also try substituting other low-calorie fruits such as strawberries or blueberries.
Ingredients for Starbuck’s Coconut Lime Bar Recipe
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup powdered erythritol*
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice*
Nutrition Information for Starbuck’s Coconut Lime Bar Recipe
Each bar serves 6 servings, totaling approximately 16 grams of carbs, 4 grams of fiber, and 18 grams of protein.
Sugars total 8 grams, including 1 gram from erythritol and 3 grams from lime juice.
The remaining 5 grams are all from the coconut.
Carbs come mainly from starchy foods, with 12 grams coming from starch and 2 grams coming from fiber.
Fats contain only 1 gram of saturated fat, while vitamins and minerals include vitamin C, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, copper, zinc, potassium, calcium, iron, and sodium.
If you want more details on any specific nutrient, consult this list of nutrition facts for different kinds of food.
What Is The Price Of A Starbucks Coconut Lime Bar?
Starbucks Coconut Lime Bars are currently available at select locations across the country.
They cost between $3 & $5 each, depending on where you live.
Where Can I Find The Starbucks Coconut Lime Bar Recipe?
Starbucks sells many different kinds of coconut lime bars, including chocolate chip and mint variations as well.
But if you want to learn more about this delectable treat, we recommend starting here.
The video above shows you step-by-step instructions on making your very own starbucks coconut lime bar using the exact ingredients used by Starbucks themselves.
If you don’t have time to watch the whole thing, be sure to scroll down and check out the “How To Make Starbuck’s Coconut Lime Bars” section below.
- 1 cup butter (or margarine)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups flour
Step 1: Melt butter or cream cheese over medium heat until completely melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
Step 2: In another bowl mix together the sugar, salt, eggs, and vanilla. Add them into the melted butter/cream cheese mixture and whisk thoroughly.
Step 3: Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients while continuing to stir constantly. Mix until everything comes together and forms a ball in your hands.
Step 4: Grease an 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray or butter and pour batter evenly into the prepared pan.
Step 5: Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. When done remove from oven and cut into squares.
These are best eaten within 24 hours of being baked. They will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Is The Starbucks Coconut Lime Bar Recipe Healthy?
When you think about a “healthy snack”, this might be the last thing on your mind.
But when it comes to desserts like the starbucks coconut lime bar, many people assume that sugar is always bad.
In reality, there are two ways to look at things here:
- If you’ve never had them before, then yes, you probably won’t get any health benefits by making them yourself. However, if you do have experience with starbuck’s coconut lime bars, then you should consider swapping out half or all of the ingredients.
- Starbuck’s uses natural flavors such as vanilla bean paste, which means that you don’t need to worry too much about artificial sweeteners.
These are just guidelines though, because no matter what type of food you eat, it’s important to stay mindful of what you put into your body.
When it comes to eating sweets, however, moderation really does apply.
How to make your own starbucks coconut lime bars
Now that we’ve covered the pros and cons of making your own starbucks coconut lime bars, let’s dive right into the recipe itself.
You will need the following ingredients:
Coconut Lime Bars Ingredients:
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (you can use regular coconut flakes instead)
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (or ½ teaspoon imitation vanilla)
- 4 egg whites
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon honey (not pictured)
- lime zest (for the top layer only)
- Lime slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine shredded coconut, sugar, salt, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Mix well until everything is combined thoroughly.
- Add honey slowly while mixing constantly.
- Pour batter onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add lime zest and lime slices to the top of each bar.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight before serving.
(Note: If you aren’t using honey, substitute equal parts brown sugar and water.)
What Are Some Alternative Recipes For
Starbucks also offers a number of different flavors including chocolate chip cookie dough, strawberry shortcake, gingerbread, and more.
While you can definitely replicate those flavors using this recipe (and we have several other great chocolate chip cookie dough recipes), there is only one way to get the authentic “coconut lime” flavor of the original.
Here’s how to make them yourself:
- Start by making sure all ingredients are room temperature or slightly chilled.
- Combine butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add egg yolk and vanilla extract, then mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in shredded coconut and chopped-up limes.
- Grease an 8×8 pan and pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° F for about 25 minutes or until edges start to brown.
If you want to try another flavor, check out our guide to the best vegan milkshakes or even our easy breakfast smoothie recipe.
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup mini white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray oil and use parchment paper to line an 8 x 8 baking pan. Place aside.
- For one minute, cream the butter using an electric mixer. Beat for another minute after adding the brown sugar.
- Beat while adding the egg until combined.
- Oats, flour, baking powder, salt, and coconut should all be added. Combine well.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the pan with the batter. It should be distributed evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden around the edges and on top, and the top doesn’t feel overly mushy or wet below when you touch it. Your finger shouldn’t make a dent on it and it should feel somewhat hard.
- Creamy results from beating the butter and cream cheese together for two minutes. Add the food coloring, lime juice, zest, and powdered sugar. Mix until fully combined. Frosting needs to be smooth and silky.
- Spread over the baked bars when they’ve cooled.
- Put it in the refrigerator. Once it has cooled, melt the chocolate in the microwave and then drizzle it over the frosted bar using a spoon or a piping bag. Add coconut flakes on top.
- Slice, then dish.
- To give them a chance to soften up, it is always preferable to let them sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before eating.