Chipotle Queso Recipe, also known as Chipotle Cheese Sauce or just simply Queso, is a creamy cheese dip that’s rich with flavor.
The dish was originally created by former employees of Chipotle Mexican Grill who wanted something special to serve their customers after they ordered burritos.
They added spices like cumin, chili powder, and garlic and came up with this delicious creation.
What Are The Main Ingredients In Chipotle’s Queso Recipe?
Queso (pronounced “KAY-so), which means “cheese” in Spanish, originated from Mexico.
The word comes from the Aztec language and it refers to white cheese made from cow milk.
In modern times, queso can be found at many different restaurants across America and even abroad.
In addition to being one of the most popular dishes on Chipotle menu, queso has become wildly successful outside of its original home.
Today, you can find queso in grocery stores and some fast food chains where it’s often served alongside tacos, chips, and guacamole.
- 1 block of cream cheese – This ingredient helps create a smooth texture that allows the other flavors to come through more clearly.
- 4 ounces of shredded Cheddar cheese – This ingredient provides tanginess along with an overall cheesy touch.
- 8 ounces of sour cream – Sour cream gives the queso extra richness while adding moisture.
- 2 tablespoons of minced onion – Onions add a sweet taste that complements the smoky flavor of the peppers.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt – Salt brings out the natural sweetness of onions and adds savory depth to the dish.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder – Chili powder lends a spicy kick to the queso that will leave any guest wanting more.
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes – These tomatoes provide additional acidity and help bring out the flavor of the sauce.
- 1 tablespoon of fresh minced jalapeño pepper – Jalapeños give the queso a little zing and are great when paired with sour cream, too.
How to Make Chipotle Queso Recipe
For best results, use all fresh ingredients whenever possible.
If you want to save time, however, canned products work well.
You can substitute 1 jar of salsa for 2 cups of diced tomatoes if needed.
First, prepare everything except the onion and the tomato paste.
To do so, place the cream cheese into a large bowl and beat until combined.
Next, add the shredded cheese, sour cream, chili powder, salt, onion, and jalapeño pepper.
Mix thoroughly to combine.
Continue stirring until the mixture thickens enough to coat a spoon.
Next, take half of the mixture and transfer it to another medium sized bowl.
Add the tomato paste and stir to incorporate the tomato paste evenly throughout the mixture.
Place the remaining portion of the queso back into the same bowl and mix together.
Once both mixtures have been mixed together, pour the contents of the bowls over each other in a separate container.
Transfer both containers to the refrigerator and let them chill for about 5 hours before serving.
What Makes Chipotle’s Queso Recipe Unique?
There are several things that set it apart from other recipes.
The most obvious one is its spicy kick – which comes courtesy of the peppers and chilies used in the sauce.
It has no preservatives either so there will be no need to add those extra additives to keep it fresh.
And because it doesn’t contain any artificial flavors or colors, you won’t have to worry about the contents going bad over time.
How Would You Describe The Taste Of Chipotle’s Queso Recipe?
Queso is a traditional Mexican sauce made from melted cheese flavored with chili peppers and other spices.
Chipotle Queso Recipe has all of these ingredients plus creaminess and tangy flavor.
The sauce can be served warm or cold and it goes well on tortilla chips, nachos, and tacos.
If you’re looking for a versatile snack, try mixing some of the Chipotle Queso recipe into guacamole instead of avocado.
You can even use it as an alternative to sour cream in any kind of baked potato dish (or if you don’t have sour cream).
How Easy Is Chipotle’s Queso Recipe To Make At Home?
Queso can be made in about 15 minutes if all ingredients are already prepared.
The only thing that needs to be done before making it at home is adding spices like salt, pepper, and other seasonings.
It doesn’t take much work to create such an amazing appetizer.
All you do is add the right amount of spices so that the dish has a unique texture and flavor.
If you want to go ahead and try out Chipotle’s queso recipe, here are the steps on how to make the famous queso dip from scratch:
- Add 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) ground cumin, 2 teaspoons (10mL) chili powder, and 1 tablespoon (15 mL) minced garlic into a small bowl.
- Mix well until combined.
- Next, combine 3 cups (750 mL) of sour cream with 1 cup (250 mL) of shredded sharp Cheddar cheese using a whisk or blender.
- Stir the mixture until smooth and then set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together one-fourth cup (60 mL) of mayonnaise with 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 mL) each of paprika, black pepper, and salt.
- Pour the spice mixture into a medium saucepan over low heat while stirring constantly.
- Once all the spices have been incorporated, remove the pan from the stovetop and stir in the remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) of mayonnaise.
- Set the pan back on the burner and allow the mixture to come to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of butter.
- Place the pan back onto the stovetop and let it simmer for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Finally, pour the hot queso through a fine mesh strainer into a serving bowl and place it into the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Once cooled down, garnish with fresh parsley leaves.
You might wonder what makes Chipotle’s queso recipe stand out from others.
Here are some reasons why it’s great:
- It’s extremely simple to make. You don’t need any cooking skills to prepare it — all you need is a little patience and time.
- This cheesy snack is healthy because it contains no trans fats and cholesterol.
- Unlike many snacks, there’s no preservatives found in Chipotle’s queso recipe.
- The dish tastes authentic since it uses real ingredients. There isn’t anything artificial in it.
- There’s no MSG in this tasty treat either.
- Since it’s dairy free, it won’t cause digestive issues when eaten.
The above mentioned points show that Chipotle’s queso recipe is not only super convenient but nutritious as well.
If you love spicy food, you will definitely enjoy this tasty treat too.
If you think that this cheesy dip sounds good, try experimenting with different flavors.
You can use herbs like rosemary and thyme or even experiment with fruits like strawberries or blueberries.
What Are Some Of The Potential Health Benefits Of Eating Chipotle’s Queso Recipe?
Queso has been around since the 1970s when it first appeared on menus in restaurants across the country.
The Chipotle Queso recipe, which can be found on the company website, is one of several different versions of queso recipes you may find online.
It contains no cholesterol, fat, sodium, sugar, or artificial ingredients.
If you want to add more calories, then feel free to do so.
However, if you don’t mind adding them, you’ll get plenty of fiber from the beans used to make it.
You can enjoy the following health benefits of eating Chipotle queso recipe:
- Reduce risk of heart disease
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower risk of stroke
- Help prevent diabetes
- Improve overall cardiovascular function
- Contain antioxidants such as vitamin C, beta-carotene, and lycopene
- Contain calcium
- Contain protein
- Provide vitamins B1, B3, B5, B6, B12, D, E, K, magnesium, manganese, zinc, selenium, potassium, phosphorus, copper, iron, niacin, pantothenic acid, folate, riboflavin, thiamine, folic acid, biotin, choline, lysine, tryptophan, and molybdenum
Are There Any Potential Drawbacks To Eating Chipotle’s Queso Recipe?
Although it has been around since 1999, the Chipotle Queso Recipe hasn’t exactly become popular among foodies.
Many people have either never tried it out or haven’t had much luck making it themselves.
It may be due to its unique taste, which can sometimes go bitter if not made correctly.
Some people find it difficult to get used to the texture because of how thick it is.
Others don’t really care about the texture at all.
However, there aren’t many negative things associated with Chipotle Queso Recipe.
You might experience some minor gastrointestinal issues when consuming too large amounts of it but these symptoms usually disappear within a few hours.
How Often Do You Think People Should Eat Chipotle’s Queso Recipe?
If I had to guess what percentage of my readers would say that they “should” only eat this once per week (or even less), then I would have to say about 98% of them would be wrong.
If you ask me, it’s one of those dishes that you can enjoy all year round — not just during the summer months when you want to cool off on hot days.
Queso is very versatile in terms of how many times per day it can be eaten.
You could easily use it as an appetizer at dinner parties, but if you don’t have guests over, you could save it for later in the week and eat it throughout the weekend.
The possibilities are endless!
What Are Some Of The Best Foods To Eat With Chipotle’s Qu
If you haven’t tried it yet, you need to give Chipotle Queso Recipe a try!
You won’t be disappointed!
The cheesy sauce has a mild, smooth texture and a very unique taste.
It’s extremely versatile and goes great on any type of food, including tacos, nachos, pizza, sandwiches, burgers, etc.
If you want to add more spice to your meal, then use hot pepper flakes instead of regular salt.
Here are some suggestions on how you can enjoy this amazing dipping sauce:
- Tacos – pair it with roasted corn, beans, lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, and avocado slices
- Nachos – top them off with shredded chicken, beef, pinto beans, black olives, guacamole, sour cream, green onions, and jalapeño peppers
- Sandwiches – spread it onto bread
- Pizza – top it with red onion, mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach leaves, feta cheese, pesto, and tomato sauce
- Burger – put it on a burger patty
If you love spicy food, then you will absolutely adore this recipe!
But if you prefer things less spicy, don’t worry because there are many ways in which you can adjust the amount of ingredients depending on your own preference.
- 1 Pot
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 15 ounces tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomatillo salsa
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- On medium-high heat, add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapenos to a large dutch oven. Cook for 5–6 minutes, turning regularly, or until softened.
- Mix thoroughly before adding the tomatillo salsa, garlic, flour, cumin, oregano, chilli powder, and canned tomatoes and chilis.
- Whisking vigorously after adding the milk, add the tomato paste, vinegar, and cheese; continue whisking until the cheese is melted.
- Juice from the lime and lemon should be whisked in just before serving.