If you’re looking to try something new this holiday season, why not consider having a gummy bear shot at your next party or gathering?
This delicious drink combines two of our favorite things: gummies and booze.
What Is The Gummy Bear Shot Recipe?
The gummy bear shot is an adult beverage that can be prepared quickly by following these basic steps:
- Take one shot glass.
- Fill the glass with vodka (or any other spirit).
- Add as many gummy bears as desired.
There are several variations on the classic gummy bear shot recipe that we will discuss below.
How Do You Make A Gummy Bear Shot?
The basic ingredients for making a gummy bear shot are simple — all that’s needed is some alcohol (preferably vodka) and gummy bears.
But there’s also an important step to follow, which we will discuss below.
To start, pour yourself a shot glass full of liquor.
Gummy bears can be purchased pre-made in any grocery store or online retailer.
If you want to use homemade gummy bears instead, they aren’t difficult to create.
Just mix 1 cup gelatin into ½ cup water until dissolved.
Let sit overnight before using.
Store homemade gummy bears in resealable plastic bags or airtight containers so they don’t dry out.
Now, grab one or more gummy bears from their bag, place them in the bottom of your shot glass, then top them off with your chosen alcoholic beverage.
You may have to shake up the mixture a bit to get the gummies submerged under the liquid.
Finally, give the whole thing a good stir to combine everything together.
Once your gummy bears are thoroughly mixed, serve them as a tasty treat at your next event!
What Is In A Gummy Bear Shot?
A gummy bear shot consists of a shot glass filled with alcohol (such as vodka) and then topped off with some gummy bears.
You can use any type of alcohol for this drink, but most people use vodka because it has an appealing flavor that tastes like sweet fruity flavors.
It also has a high proof so it won’t be watered down when mixed into the other ingredients.
If you prefer a stronger tasting alcohol, feel free to switch out the vodka for something else such as rum or whiskey.
The second ingredient needed for a successful gummy bear shot is the gummy bears themselves.
These treats are usually flavored with fruit-based flavors such as cherry, strawberry, orange, raspberry, pineapple, etc.
Other brands may have vanilla bean or even peanut butter flavorings if you want them to taste more “normal.” There are many different types of gummy bears on the market, and each one will vary slightly from brand to brand.
So don’t worry about finding exactly what you need! Just pick up whatever is available near you or order online.
How Do You Serve A Gummy Bear Shot?
The first step for making a gummy bear shot is to make sure that all the ingredients are prepped before starting the process.
In order to make a proper gummy bear shot, you need to have a clean mixing bowl, a pair of scissors, an empty cocktail shaker, a spoon, and some ice cubes.
Once everything has been put together, follow these steps to create a tasty treat:
- Add the required amount of vodka into the mixing bowl.
- Cut open one gummy bear, then place the pieces on top of the liquid inside the mixing bowl.
- Place the lid on the bowl and shake vigorously until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Strain out any solid pieces from the bowl using a sieve.
- Once done straining out the solids, pour mixture back into the mixing bowl and repeat the previous steps.
- Repeat Step 2-7 as many times as needed (up to 6 times).
Depending on how much time you have and what type of mixer you use, the entire process will take anywhere between 15 minutes and 20 minutes.
If you want to speed up the process by skipping Steps 1 and 2, you can simply cut open the gummy bears beforehand.
However, if you want to get creative, there are plenty of other ways to go about creating your own unique flavor combinations.
What Is The Alcohol Content In A Gummy Bear Shot?
Gummy bear shots are typically made using 80 proof (40 percent ABV) vodka.
However, there are many variations on the theme that can be used depending on what kind of flavor combination you prefer.
The alcohol content varies from brand to brand.
For example, some gummy bear shooters use 100-proof vodka while others use 80-proof vodka.
As long as both brands have an alcoholic percentage above 40%, they will all work for your purposes.
Although most people tend to stick to one type of gummy bear shooter, here are several other options worth considering if you want to change up the recipe:
- Vodka mixed with cherry juice – If you like cherry flavored vodka drinks, then combining them with cherries is a great way to get more flavor into your gummy bear shot without adding too much sugar.
- Rum and pineapple juice – Another option is rum and pineapple juice. Rum has natural flavors that pair well with the sweetness of gummy bears so this is another good choice for those who enjoy fruity cocktails.
- Watermelon juice – Watermelon doesn’t exactly go along with “candy,” but when combined with vodka, it makes a tasty cocktail!
As you can see, creating gummy bear shots isn’t just limited to 80-proof vodka.
You can also make different types of gummy bear shots based on which ingredients you choose.
Is The Gummy Bear Shot A Popular Drink?
Gummy bear shots are known for their unique flavor combination.
They can be enjoyed by both adults and children alike.
Because they combine vodka and gummy bears together, many people assume that these drinks will taste like candy.
However, because they contain alcohol, these drinks may have a different effect on drinkers depending on how much they consume.
The effects of gummy bear shots vary from person to person
Some people report feeling an increased heart rate after drinking one.
Others say that they feel no physical changes after consuming them, while others claim that they feel relaxed.
These differences may come down to each individual’s tolerance level to alcohol, as well as other health factors such as age, weight, and gender.
There isn’t any way to predict what someone might experience when taking a gummy bear shot, so it’s important to talk about the risks associated with drinking before making a decision to partake.
Why do people enjoy gummy bear shots?
Many people enjoy gummy bear shots because they are sweet without being too sugary.
Some people also find that they help to calm nerves or ease stress.
In addition, some people enjoy the texture of the gummy bears themselves, which makes the drink more enjoyable than just plain old soda water.
The gummy bear shot has become especially popular among college students who attend parties and gatherings throughout the year.
Many colleges offer special events where students can celebrate Halloween or fall break with themed drinks, including gummy bear shots.
College students tend to prefer this particular drink over alcoholic beverages, which are often viewed as unsafe due to high levels of alcohol consumption.
How Did The Gummy Bear Shot Get Its Name?
The gummy bear shot was created in Chicago by bartender John Feczko in 1996 as an alternative to traditional shots.
It was meant to be mixed together while drinking for added flavor and sweetness.
However, when people started getting sick from consuming too many gummy bears all at once, Feczko decided to change his recipes so that only one type of candy would go into each cocktail.
He developed a different recipe where he used vodka instead of rum and called it the “Gumdrop” (the original recipe can still be found on the bar’s website).
Soon, the Gumdrop became known as the Gummy Bear Shot, and then just the Gummy Bear shot.
Soon after, it began spreading across America and around the world because of its unique combination of alcohol and sweet treats.
What Are Some Other Variations Of The Gummy Bear Shot?
There are many different ways that people make their own gummy bear shots – but there are three main types of recipes that people use when they want to create their own version of the classic drink.
- Ginger Ale Gummy Bear Shot Recipe: Instead of using liquor in the recipe, you can also replace it with ginger ale (or soda water). Ginger ale has more flavor than regular soda water so this variation works well if you prefer the taste of ginger ale over alcohol. You may even be able to find ginger beer instead of ginger ale!
- Chocolate Milk Gummy Bear Shot Recipe: If you don’t have any gummy bears on hand, you can substitute chocolate milk powder for them. To make sure that you don’t end up with too much sugar, it’s best to start out by adding only half as much powder as liquid. When you add the remaining amount of powder, stir until all lumps are gone.
- Coconut Water Gummy Bear Shot Recipe: Coconut water is naturally sweetened, which means that it’s great for creating a healthier alternative to the traditional gummy bear shot. It doesn’t contain artificial ingredients like most powdered drinks do, either. And since coconut water contains no added sugar, you won’t need to worry about excess calories from drinking it.
What Are Some Tips For Making The Perfect Gummy Bear Shot?
The most important thing about any cocktail is that it tastes good, so if you want people to enjoy your gummy bear shot, make sure they get their money’s worth! Here are some tips on how to make an awesome gummy bear shot.
- Don’t overfill your glasses with gummy bears. You don’t need more than 10-15 in each glass.
- You can use almost any type of alcohol, but we recommend using 100 proof (50% ABV) liquor because the stronger the alcohol, the better the flavor will be.
- Make sure your gummy bears are fresh. If they have been sitting around too long, then they won’t taste as good.
- To keep the gummy bears from melting into the liquid while you prepare them, stick them onto a piece of paper towel before adding them to the shot glass.
- If you want to serve these drinks without ice cubes, just put a few drops of water into each shot glass.
- Another tip is to place different types of gummy bears together in one shot glass. For example, you could combine red gummy bears with blue ones. It adds another layer of fun to the experience.
How Do You Know When A Gummy Bear Shot Is Bad?
Gummy Bear shots can be tricky to make, so if you want to ensure that everyone has an enjoyable time while drinking them, here are a few things you should keep in mind before you start mixing up a batch.
- Always use fresh ingredients! Gummy bears have a short shelf life (around six months), so don’t buy any more than you need. If you buy too many, they will lose their flavor faster, which means less fun for everyone.
- Use clean bottles and glasses! If you mix alcohol into food products such as gummies, then chances are good that the bottle and/or glass was used by someone else previously. That could mean bacteria, germs, or other contaminants on the surface of the container. You definitely don’t want to put anything from these containers into your mouth because there isn’t enough room for all of those nasty microbes to get inside of you.
- Don’t overfill the shot glasses! Most people tend to think that since gummy bears are soft they can just push them down into the shot glass without worrying about how much space they are taking up. However, gummy bears are sticky, so even though they might look like they fit nicely in the bottom of the cup, they may end up overflowing out of the sides. Remember, only one person drinks each portion of the shot, so you don’t want anyone to feel left out.
- Keep everything cold! Keeping your materials cold helps prevent spoilage as well as keeps your cocktail colder longer. So, let your ice melt first!
- Make sure to shake every ingredient thoroughly! Mixing together the different components of a gummy bear shot makes sure that no bits of one product go unnoticed in another part of the mixture. For example, if you accidentally drop a piece of candy into your syrup instead of a handful of marshmallows, you won’t notice until after you’ve already drank half of what you mixed up.
How to measure out the right amount of ingredients
You should always follow the directions exactly as written on the package, but if you’re feeling extra confident, here’s how to measure out the correct amounts of each component of a gummy bear shot.
For the vodka: Pour 1 ounce (about 28 grams) of vodka into the measuring cup.
Add 2 ounces (56 grams) of water to the measuring cup.
Stir the solution until it becomes homogenous.
This gives you 0.28 oz / 7.84 ml of liquid in total.
Divide that number by 3 to find out how much vodka goes into each shot.
So, for example, if you poured 4 shots of vodka into the measuring cup, you would pour 4 x.28 = 1.1 oz (30 grams) of vodka.
For the gummy bears: Place 6 pieces of bear into a resealable plastic bag, seal the opening closed, and crush them using a rolling pin.
Discard the crushed remains or save them for later.
Place 8 ounces (224 grams) of sugar into a bowl.
Toss the sugar around in the bowl until it forms clumps.
Once the sugar is evenly distributed throughout the bowl, place the bowl onto a flat surface and knead it gently until the clumps become smooth.
When you’re ready to make the gummy bears, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Take a shot glass and place 2 tablespoons (25 grams) of gummy bears inside of it.
Make sure to leave a little gap between each piece of gummy bear and the rim of the glass.
Pour the contents of the measuring cup (0.28 oz / 7.8 ml) into the glass.
Do not stir or mix the contents of the cup.
Instead, carefully move the glass around to coat the entire top of the cup with liquid.
Keep going back and forth until the entire cup is filled with liquid.
Carefully remove the glass from the cup.
Repeat the process three additional times to fill a total of four glasses.
- 1 oz Cherry Vodka
- 1 oz Peach Schnapps Liqueur
- 1/4 oz Pineapple Juice
- 1/4 oz Lemon Lime Soda
- Pour cherry vodka, peach schnapps, pineapple juice, and lemon lime soda into a shaker with ice. Shake or mix the ingredients together.
- Pour mixture into shot glass, top with gummy bear, and serve.