If you love good food but hate making it yourself, then you might want to consider whipping up a batch of Hellmann’s Potato Salad.
What Ingredients Are Needed For Hellmann’s Potato Salad?
Hellmann’s is one of America’s most popular brands, especially in its potato salad variety.
It has been around since 1866, when German immigrant August Heinrich Rommel founded the company that bears his name.
Today, there are more than 1,000 locations across the country, including a location right here on Amazon Prime Day 2020.
To create a great Hellmann’s potato salad recipe, all you need are potatoes, celery, onion, pickles, and Hellman’s Mayonnaise.
You can also add other ingredients such as dill, parsley, or even bacon bits if you like — but these aren’t necessary for the best results!
The star ingredient in any potato salad recipe is the potato itself.
This should be an unblemished “eating raw” potato with no bruises, cuts, or discoloration.
While you don’t have to buy organic vegetables, they do tend to taste better (and cost less) when purchased from local farms rather than large grocery stores.
You can use red, green, yellow, purple, blue, white, or orange potatoes, depending on your preference.
In addition to being a staple vegetable in many dishes, celery adds crunch to the salad without adding much flavor.
If you prefer something stronger, try using a small amount of diced onions instead.
While some people will tell you not to put onions into potato salads because they cause the potatoes to turn brown, others swear by them.
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Onions definitely have their place in classic potato salad recipes, although you could swap out the whole thing for a few slices of sweet pepper instead.
Pickles bring tangy flavor to your potato salad and help cut through the richness of the dressing.
Some people go so far as to say that pickle juice actually makes the dressing work better.
Of course, this isn’t true, but pickling liquid alone doesn’t hurt anything either.
Finally, we come to the main player in this recipe: Hellmann’s Mayonnaise.
A little bit goes a very long way, so don’t get carried away.
Just enough to cover each piece of potato thoroughly is plenty.
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
These are the basic ingredients used to make Hellmann’s Mayonnaise.
Feel free to experiment with different herbs and spices to suit your personal tastes.
For instance, you could mix together 2 teaspoons dried basil, 3 cloves garlic, 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg before combining everything with the rest of the ingredients.
How Long Does It Take To Make Hellmann’s Potato Salad?
It takes about an hour from start to finish once all the ingredients have been prepared – so if you don’t mind doing some work beforehand, then you can get your hands on this tasty treat in less than two hours.
The process is pretty simple, too.
You just need to prepare everything before starting, including washing, peeling, cutting, chopping, cooking, draining, mixing, and serving.
- 5 pounds (about 2 kg) Russet potatoes, peeled or unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) white vinegar
- ½ cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 3 large hard-boiled egg yolks, beaten
- 6 tablespoons (90 g) French dressing
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Pepper to taste
- Paprika to taste
You will also need:
- A large pot with lid
- Cooking spray
- Large bowl
- Chef’s knife
Once you’ve got everything ready, follow these steps:
Is Hellmann’s Potato Salad Suitable For Vegetarians?
Hellmann’s is one of those classic American foods that everyone seems to have in their fridge at some point or another.
It’s so popular because it tastes great! But what about those people who don’t eat meat? Is Hellmann’s Potato Salad suitable for them? To find out, we need to look at its ingredients list.
The first thing on the list is the “mayo” which is a mixture of egg yolks and vegetable oils (usually corn oil).
Vegetable oils contain no animal products whatsoever, although they do come from plants.
So there shouldn’t be any concern here.
The next ingredient is “eggs”, which also comes primarily from plants.
Finally, there’s the “seasoning mix”, which includes salt, sugar, vinegar, mustard, paprika, celery seed, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dill weed, dry milk, and more.
While these aren’t all plant-based themselves, most of them are derived from plants either directly or indirectly by being processed using plant-derived materials.
So while Hellmann’s Potato Salad isn’t 100% vegan friendly, it should still work fine if you substitute a vegetarian version of each component.
Here’re three options:
- Eggs can be replaced with an equivalent amount of soy protein isolate.
- This will help maintain the texture of the dish as well as add flavor.
- Vegetable oil can be swapped with sunflower oil, olive oil, safflower oil, or other plant-based oils like grapeseed or coconut oil.
- If you use something less flavorful than corn oil, try adding additional spices like salt, pepper, or herbs to enhance the overall taste.
- Seasoning mix can be swapped out entirely with a similar blend of dried herbs and spices.
What Type Of Potatoes Are Best For Hellmann’s Potato Salad?
Potatoes work well in any number of recipes, including salads.
They can be boiled or baked, mashed, chopped into cubes, or cubed whole.
In fact, there are many different types of potatoes that will make an excellent addition to your Hellmanns.
Here is a list of some of the most popular varieties used in this iconic American classic:
- Red Bliss – This variety has a creamy texture and is great for baking as well as boiling.
- Russet Burbank – The name says it all – this is one of the most common potatoes grown in the US.
- It also works well when roasted, sauteed, or even grilled.
- Yukon Gold – This sweet-tasting potato is great for roasting, frying, or mashing.
- Kennebec – These long tubers have a light flavor and are often used as fries.
- Bintje Potatoe – A Dutch heirloom variety, these small potatoes have a mild taste and are ideal for baking.
- Rio Grande Russet – Another traditional American heirloom variety, this potato is known for its buttery texture and rich color.
- King Edward – This potato has a smooth skin and a firm flesh.
- Its distinctive shape makes it look like a crown.
- Yellow Finn – Also called “New England Yellow” this heirloom potato was originally grown on New Hampshire farmsteads by Finnish immigrants.
- German Butterball – This large yellow potato is perfect for grilling and roasting because of its dense consistency and unique shape.
Does Hellmann’s Potato Salad Require Refrigeration?
Hellmann’s Potato Salad is an iconic American classic that can be found in most grocery stores across the country.
The original recipe was created by German immigrant Gustav Adolph Heinrich Hellman in 1893 at his restaurant on Manhattan’s Lower East Side.
The name Hellmann comes from the family business founded by Gustav Adolf Hellman (1860-1938).
It started out as a store selling groceries and eventually diversified into other products such as canned goods, mustard, pickles, and ice cream.
Today, the company produces more than 30 different types of condiments including Worcestershire sauce, relish, ketchup, soy sauce, and more.
While many people think that Hellmann’s uses only fresh ingredients when creating their sauces, they also make some versions using frozen vegetables like peas, corn, or carrots.
Some companies even add preservatives like MSG or monosodium glutamate to increase shelf life.
However, not all brands use these additives.
In fact, Hellman’s doesn’t contain any artificial flavors or preservatives because “our customers expect us to stand behind our product 100 percent—not just 90 percent.”
So how does Hellmann’s maintain its quality throughout production and distribution without adding anything extra? For starters, the company uses natural oils, salt, and vinegar instead of synthetic chemicals.
They also use no artificial colors or flavors to ensure that it tastes exactly the same every time you eat it.
Is Hellmann’s Potato Salad healthy?
According to the label on Hellmann’s bottles, the brand claims that it contains less fat and calories per serving compared to other similar recipes.
However, there isn’t enough information available online about the exact nutritional content of one portion of the salad so we can’t fully confirm if it is healthier than others.
That being said, the company recommends consuming two servings a day since each portion has around 40 grams of carbs and 9 grams of protein.
If you’re trying to lose weight, though, you should try eating fewer portions per meal since it will decrease your overall calorie intake.
How Much Mayonnaise Is Needed For Hellmann’s Potato Salad?
The amount of mayo depends on how big your pot or bowl is, so start by measuring out 1/4 cup (1/3 cup) of the dressing per serving.
If you have an extra 2-cup bowl available, feel free to use that instead.
As for the other ingredients, we suggest using two large egg yolks per serving, one small onion diced into cubes, and about 4 tablespoons of chopped celery leaves.
You can also add more salt if necessary.
Once you have these measurements down, just follow our instructions below!
What Herbs And Spices Are Used In Hellmann’s Potato Salad?
Hellmanns has been around since 1917 when founder William H.
Hellermann started selling his mayo-based potato salad at his local grocery store.
The company was eventually purchased by Kraft Foods and now produces over 150 different products including cheese spreads, crackers, and even ice cream.
Despite its popularity, there isn’t an official “recipe” for Hellmann’s potato salad.
However, Kraft does publish a list of ingredients on their website that includes mayonnaise, potatoes (white or red), celery, onions, salt, pepper, mustard, vinegar, sugar, egg yolks, and pickles.
The only real secret ingredient is Hellman’s Mayonnaise.
It’s not hard to find online, so if you have some lying around, all you need to do is mix it with your favorite vegetables and other tasty bits like shredded carrots, corn, diced tomatoes, or sliced cucumbers.
What Condiments Can Be Added To Hellmann’
You can add any number of ingredients that your heart desires! Here is what I recommend adding to my own version (which is very simple):
- Onions — chopped or sliced, depending on preference.
- Lettuce — shredded or cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Cucumber slices — if desired.
- Green peppers — diced, if desired.
- Hard boiled egg halves — optional.
- Dill pickle chips — also optional.
- Crackers — crushed saltines or crackers, if desired.
The only thing you need to remember when preparing Hellmanns is to use fresh dill, not dried dill flakes.
Also, don’t forget about the mustard — which should always be included as well.
And finally, make sure you have plenty of ice cold water handy while mixing everything together!
Now let’s talk more about how to make Hellmann’s Potato Salad…
- 2 lbs potatoes peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks (5 to 6 medium)
- 1 cup Hellmann’s mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper ground
- 1 cup celery thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion chopped
- 2 eggs hard-cooked, chopped
- Cover potatoes with water in a 4-quart saucepot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Allow to drain and cool slightly.
- Combine Hellmann’s Mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, sugar, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Toss in the potatoes, celery, onion, and eggs.
- Chill or serve at room temperature.