Dunkaroo Dip has been a staple at our house since I was young.
My parents always had plenty in their fridge and freezer to offer me when we were hungry on those cold winter days.
The first time my sister saw this dip, she thought it looked like “something out of a science experiment” — but she loved it nonetheless.
It tastes great with chips or crackers, but it also makes a tasty appetizer if served as a spread on bread rolls.
What Is The Recipe For Dunkaroo Dip?
This delicious dip recipe contains four basic ingredients:
- Frozen corn kernels (or thawed frozen)
- Cream cheese
- Peanut butter
I know what you might be thinking right now… how does one get from A to B?
Let’s break down each step so that you can understand exactly how this recipe works.
Step 1: Frozen Corn Kernels
If you have frozen corn available, use fresh frozen corn instead of canned corn.
If not, you will need to thaw your frozen corn before using it.
Note: Freshly cooked corn may seem more appealing than frozen, but cooking fresh corn kernels will take about 10 minutes longer than simply popping them into the microwave.
So while the fresh option is quicker, it requires more effort.
For convenience, go ahead and pop some frozen corn kernels into the microwave until they are defrosted.
Step 2: Cream Cheese
For this recipe, you want to use full fat cream cheese because it helps create a smooth texture without any lumps.
You could try low-fat cream cheese, but there’s no way around the fact that it won’t work well here.
Just remember that full fat cream cheese provides additional flavor.
Step 3: Butter/Margarine
You don’t necessarily need to use real butter or margarine in this recipe, but it adds extra richness and flavor.
The best choice would probably be a stick of butter or half a block of margarine.
But if that doesn’t sound good enough, feel free to substitute another kind of dairy product.
Step 4: Peanut Butter
When making this recipe, you should only use peanut butter that is 100% natural.
Natural peanut butter has less sugar content compared to other brands.
That means that it tastes much better too.
How Do You Make Dunkaroo Dip?
You will need:
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise (or ½ cup plain yogurt)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 4 cups powdered sugar (you can substitute 2 cups confectioner’s sugar)
- Cinnamon (to taste)
- Powdered milk (for dipping)
What Is In Dunkaroo Dip?
There are two main components to the dip itself: peanut butter (or almond butter) and chocolate syrup.
The other ingredients include marshmallows, cream cheese, and vanilla extract.
You can use any type of marshmallow you want, including mini ones, but regular size marshmallows will work just fine.
This recipe calls for using a microwave oven.
If you don’t have one, you could easily substitute your stovetop burner instead.
Just be sure to keep everything within reach so you won’t forget about them while they cook away.
How Long Does It Take To Make Dunkaroo Dip?
It only took five minutes to put together the ingredients for this delicious homemade dip, which means you can whip up one batch every day during your busy week.
If you have any leftovers, they will keep well in the refrigerator for several weeks.
How Many People Does Dunkaroo Dip Serve?
This dip can be easily doubled or tripled depending on how much you want to feed your family.
However, we usually keep one batch around because it keeps well in the refrigerator, and then freeze the rest so that we have some left over for future dinners.
What Is The Nutritional Value Of Dunkaroo Dip?
If you’re looking for a quick, healthy snack option that will satisfy your cravings without all of the junk food ingredients, then Dunkaroo Dip might be just what you need.
Here’s why Dunkaroo Dip is so popular:
- It’s super simple to make.
- You can customize the flavor by adding different spices.
- It only requires four basic ingredients.
- And there are no preservatives or artificial flavors added.
I love how easy it is to whip up a batch of Dunkaroo Dip.
The best part about making it yourself is that you get full control over exactly which spice mix goes into your bowl of deliciousness.
What Are The Benefits Of Dunkaroo Dip?
This dip can be eaten by itself without any other accompaniments because there aren’t any ingredients that would compete with each other.
The only thing you need to watch out for is over-saucing (which will make your dip watery) so use just enough sauce to coat all the ingredients.
You can add more sauce later if needed.
It’s also very versatile and can be used as a sandwich filling or even a pizza topping.
If you want something different, try adding shredded cheese on top of the dip before baking.
Easy to prepare
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients together until they form a dough-like texture.
There’s no doubt about it, Dunkaroo Dip is delicious. Even kids love dipping into this treat.
They usually ask for seconds after one taste.
If you prefer not to bake your dip, then simply heat up the prepared dip in the microwave instead.
Just cook on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds per batch (or until heated through).
What Are Some Of The Drawbacks Of Dunkaroo Dip?
You may be wondering why you should consider making your own instead of purchasing from a store.
Well, let’s take a look at what some people have said about this popular snack.
Here’s a few quotes from Amazon reviews:
- “I love the taste, just wish there was more than one serving per bag.”
- “Not good enough to buy!”
- “This stuff doesn’t last long. You can’t keep it in the pantry. We eat it all within two weeks because it goes bad so fast”
- “There’s no way to freeze it without losing the texture.”
- “It didn’t taste very good and it wasn’t worth the money.”
However, here’s what others think about the product itself:
- “My daughter loves this dip. She eats it by the bowl full, which is impressive considering how much she likes her food (she’s only 3). And I don’t mind eating it either. In fact, I prefer it over anything else I could find in the grocery stores. The only downside is that you need to refrigerate it once opened.”
- “If you’re looking for something healthy that will satisfy your hunger, then try this delicious dip. It’s not too sweet, and it’s super easy to prepare.”
- “A little bit of saltiness and sweetness mixed together is pretty awesome. Plus, it’s simple to make and even easier to consume.”
So, do you want to know whether Dunkaroo Dip is worth buying or trying to make yourself?
Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of both options.
How Does Dunkaroo Dip Compare To Other Dips?
For starters, Dunkaroo Dip is not just any old dip.
It’s something you can put together quickly from scratch while doing other things around your kitchen.
For example, you can prepare and bake a batch of cookies while making this dip.
If you want to add flavor, you can use sour cream instead of mayonnaise, or try adding fresh herbs such as basil or parsley.
You can even make this dip ahead of time and store it in containers until needed.
The only downside to storing it is that once you open the container, it will begin to lose its texture over time.
However, there are several recipes for dipping sauces that you can find online.
These include dips created by brands like Kraft, Ketchup, and Heinz.
What Are Some Of The Unique Features Of Dunkaroo Dip?
If you have never tried Dunkaroo Dip before, then you may be wondering what sets it apart from other dips.
Well, there are quite a few things that set Dunkaroo Dip apart from other dips.
Here are just a few of them…
- It doesn’t use anything artificial (like cream cheese) or any kind of preservatives.
- It uses only real ingredients — no added sugar or salt.
- This is one of the easiest recipes you will ever find online.
- You can serve it plain or add your favorite flavorings to it.
- It freezes well so you can store it in small portions for snacks throughout the week.
- It’s simple enough that even kids can help prepare it!
Here are all the ingredients needed for 1 cup of Dunkaroo Dip:
1/4 Cup Sour Cream
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
1/8 Cup Water
In a bowl combine sour cream, lemon juice, mayo, and water until smooth. Serve immediately while still warm.
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix
- 1⅓ cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups Cool Whip
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles for garnish
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients (apart from the extra sprinkles) and stir until well incorporated and no lumps remain.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of two hours (dip will be too soft without doing this step).
- Add more sprinkles as a garnish for a lovely display.
- Serve alongside Nilla Wafers, Teddy Grahams, Apples, Graham Crackers, Pretzels, Animal Crackers, and Grahams. The best course of action would be to use various dippers. Enjoy!