The mocha cookie crumble frappuccino is one of our favorite drinks at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, but we’ve been told that it is more popular than we think.
People love this unique drink because it combines two amazing flavors – coffee and cookies.
If you want to learn how to make this delicious treat yourself, keep reading below!
What Is In A Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino?
A mocha cookie crumble frappuccino is an adult beverage consisting of a blend of brewed espresso with vanilla ice cream blended together with chocolate chips, crispy sugar cookies, and whipped cream topped off by a scoop of sweetened condensed milk.
This drink was created by combining two classic American desserts into one tasty beverage.
You may be wondering what makes this particular combination so special.
Well, if you have ever had a cup of hot java mixed with some vanilla ice cream, then you know why people enjoy these beverages so much.
It has also become a trend among millennials who are known as “hipsters” due to their fondness for mixing different types of ingredients together.
Hipster foodie trends often start on social media platforms like Instagram and Pinterest where they discover new culinary combinations such as this one.
We should note that while many people create their own versions of this drink using various recipes online, there are several companies out there that offer commercial versions of this recipe.
For example, Starbucks offers its version of this drink which comes in three sizes (small, medium, large) priced between $4.25-$5.95 per serving depending on size.
However, we don’t recommend purchasing this drink from a store since it will most likely contain artificial coloring or flavoring agents that could negatively affect your health.
- 1 shot of strong black coffee
- 6 oz. of cold whole milk
- ¾ cup plus 1 tbsp. of heavy whipping cream
- ⅔ cup of semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup of powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup of crushed cookies
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Pinch salt
Step 1: Add all ingredients except for the sweetened condensed milk into a blender. Blend until smooth.Once you finish blending everything together, pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl.
Once you remove the liquid from the top layer, add a small amount of sweetened condensed milk to each glass and stir well.
You can adjust the sweetness level by adding more sweetened condensed milk according to your preference.
Now, take a spoonful of the thickened mixture and place it back into the blender.
Repeat the process until all of the mixture is used up.
Finally, garnish the frothy drink with a few pieces of crunchy cookie crumbles before enjoying it.
How Is A Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino Made?
This frappuccino was originally created by accident when a customer asked for something different on their birthday cake menu.
Our pastry chefs were tasked with creating an “adult-sized” version of the classic birthday cake.
They quickly decided that they wanted to combine both coffee and chocolate together into one dessert.
After some testing and tasting, the mocha cookie crumble frappuccino was born!
- 1 espresso shot (for every 8 ounces)
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream or soft serve
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 12 Oreo Cookies, crushed
- 10 drops liquid hot cocoa flavor extract
- 5 teaspoons unsweetened almond milk
First off, start out by making sure all ingredients are prepped and ready to go before beginning the process.
For each serving, pour 3 ounces of the espresso over 6 ounces of the vanilla ice cream.
Then add 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar over top.
Next, stir well until combined.
Once you have stirred everything together, dump in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, and then mix again with a spoon until evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
Next, place the 12 crushed oreos into a bowl, and pour in 5 teaspoons of almond milk.
With a fork, mix them together so that there aren’t big chunks of dry oreos left behind.
Now take another bowl, and fill it halfway full of water.
Place the bowl inside a larger bowl filled with warm tap water.
Mix gently using a whisk while stirring slowly.
As soon as the mixture starts to thicken up, remove from heat immediately and pour into your glasses.
Finish by adding a few sprinkles of cinnamon and whipped cream cheese frosting.
What Is The History Of The Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino?
This beverage was created by The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in 2003 as part of their ‘New Classics’ collection.
Since then, they have continued updating their menu with new recipes on an ongoing basis.
If you are looking to find out who exactly came up with this wonderful creation, here’s everything you need to know about its history.
While researching this article, I discovered that the mocha cookie crumble frappuccino wasn’t actually created by The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.
Instead, it was originally introduced by Starbucks back in 2008 during their holiday party season.
But since 2013, when Starbucks stopped offering seasonal beverages, the mocha cookie crumble frappuccino has slowly disappeared from store shelves.
Who Invented The Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino?
We don’t know who “invented” the mocha cookie crumble frappuccino, but there has been a lot of speculation over the years as to who came up with the idea first.
Some believe that the drink was created by an employee named John in 1985, while others argue that it was developed in 1997 by a barista called Adam.
In reality, both these theories have merit since they were both born around the same time period.
But what do you think? Did someone else create the mocha cookie crumble frappuccino before either of those men or did they come up with it independently? Let us know what you think in the comments section down below!
What Are Some Interesting Facts About Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccinos?
Here are a few fun tidbits about mocha cookie crumble frappuccinos:
- Mocha cookie crumbles frappuccinos were first created in 1999 by a man named Jim Henson who was inspired by his grandmother’s famous chocolate chip cookie recipe.
- Jim Henson decided on using vanilla ice cream so that people could customize their flavor with different toppings like whipped cream or sprinkles.
- One of the most common variations of the mocha cookie crumble frappuccino includes caramel sauce on top instead of vanilla ice cream.
- There are also mocha cookie crumble frappuccino recipes that don’t include ice cream, which makes them great for allergy-friendly options.
- Another variation of the mocha cookie crumble frappuccino involves making an espresso shot into each individual cup before adding milk and topping it off with cookie crumble and frosted sugar.
- This recipe is very similar to the classic French macchiato, except that there is no foaminess added to the mix.
- You may have seen these tasty treats being sold at Starbucks as well, since they are made from the same formula.
- A traditional version of the mocha cookie crumble frappuccino would involve pouring hot water over a scoop of vanilla ice cream and then mixing it together with a blender until smooth.
How to Make Your Own Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino
To start, prepare all ingredients and equipment needed ahead of time. You will need:
- 1 bar (12 ounces) dark chocolate
- 1 pint (16 ounces) heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups cold whole milk
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder mixed with 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pint (32 ounces) vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- Chocolate shavings
- Whipped cream
- Sprinkled confectioner’s sugar
What Are Some Alternative Ways To Make A Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino?
We have put together a list of other options if you don’t like drinking a mocha cookie crumble frappuccino from The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.
You will find them all in the video above, so watch it carefully and try out these recipes on your own!
- Mocha Latte Frappuccino (without ice cream): this version uses vanilla bean milk instead of chocolate, and adds an extra shot of espresso powder. We recommend adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream to add additional flavor and richness.
- Coffee Frappuccino with Marshmallow Fluff: instead of using real marshmallows, use marshmallow fluff to get a similar effect. Then top off the drink with mini-chocolate chips as well.
- Espresso Chocolate Chip Frappuccino: this option takes the original recipe and substitutes white chocolate for the dark chocolate used by The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. If you prefer white chocolate, this is definitely the way to go, since it has a lighter texture compared to dark chocolate.
In the comments section below, let us know which one you liked better!
What Are Some Common Mistakes People Make When Making A Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino?
When someone first comes into The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf with their request for a mocha cookie crumble frappuccino, they often ask us what goes in them.
We have had many people tell us that they do not like the flavor combination or feel that there isn’t enough coffee in them.
So, here are some things to watch out for when making these tasty treats.
- Do not use milk substitutes. If you are using soy, almond, dairy-free, rice, or other types of milks, then you will need to add about 1/3 cup (80ml) of water to every 8 ounces (250ml) of milk substitute used.
- Add as much coffee as possible. You should never skimp on the amount of coffee added to your beverage. Adding too little coffee may result in an under-brewed drink and you might end up with a bitter tasting concoction instead.
- Try adding sugar to the mixture before serving. Sugar helps balance the sweetness from the coffee and the sweetener added to the milk. However, if you do this, be sure to reduce the total amount of sugar by half so that you don’t overdo it.
- Don’t make the biscotti topping too thick. A good ratio would be 2 tablespoons (30g) of flour per 4 tablespoons (60ml) of liquid.
- How much milk should you add? Start with just enough so that the mixture is pourable. If it isn’t pourable, then add another 1/4 cup (60ml) until you reach that point.
- When adding the vanilla extract, start off by stirring in about half the amount, then wait 5 minutes before adding the rest. This will allow time for the flavor to blend together properly.
- Don’t over-mix your ingredients – if you do too much mixing, you end up losing all of the air bubbles which gives the smoothness of your frappuccino.
- For best results, use fresh ground coffee beans or espresso powder. Ground coffee has less caffeine per serving than instant coffee, while espresso has a stronger kick. You may also substitute regular brewed coffee with hot water instead of using cold brew or espresso.
- You can either serve your frappuccino straight from the blender, or strain out the ice cubes after blending them into the mix.
It is important to note that this mocha cookie crumble frappuccino tastes fantastic on its own without any other additions.
However, if you want to spice things up a bit, try adding whipped cream, chocolate syrup, or even cinnamon sugar as toppings!
These three options are especially good with the mocha cookie crumble frappuccino recipe since they provide extra sweetness.
- Coffee maker
- Tall glass
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup strong coffee
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 10 Oreo cookies
- 1.5 cups coffee ice cubes
- Whipped cream optional
- Once your coffee has brewed, give it some time to cool. To get the finest flavor, make it on the strong side.
- Place all the ingredients in the blender, excluding the whipped cream and one Oreo cookie.
- Blend on medium-high until the frappuccino texture is smooth and the ice has broken up.
- Place the delectable concoction in a large glass. Add a whole or broken cookie, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup as garnish.