If you like fried rice, then this article will surely catch your attention.
What Is Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice Recipe?
This is an interesting question because there are many different recipes for chicken fried rice out there today.
The main difference between most of them and Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice recipe is the ingredients used.
This is one of those dishes that doesn’t need too much time or effort to prepare.
The secret sauce behind its amazing taste is in the cooking oil.
What makes it so special is the quality of the cooking oil.
The best cooking oils are organic extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and coconut oil.
You’ll find these two types of oil at almost any grocery store nowadays.
If you want some more information on how to cook with EVOO and coconut oil, check the guide below.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 cups shredded roast turkey
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- Cooking oil as needed
Step-by-step instructions for making Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice
Now let us get down to what really matters here – the actual preparation steps!
First off, place all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl (a big enough bowl for this recipe).
Then add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and mix everything together well until they are combined evenly.
Add about 3/4 cup of cooking oil and mix again until everything is coated with oil.
Set aside for later use.
Next up, put the remaining oil back into the pan over high heat and wait till the pan starts smoking hot.
Then pour in the prepared mixture and stir constantly using a wooden spoon until everything is heated through.
Once done, turn off the stove and set the oven to low heat while waiting for the mixture to cool completely before putting it inside the fridge for several hours.
Afterwards, take out the mixture from the refrigerator and cut it into small portions using a knife.
Put each portion onto a plate and enjoy!
How Does Uncle Roger Make His Fried Rice?
There’s no doubt about it, fried rice is one of those dishes that people love to eat because they find its taste irresistible.
The secret behind the popularity of fried rice lies in how easy it is to prepare.
In fact, most recipes for fried rice require very little preparation time, but some also take longer than others.
The recipe called “Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice” requires only two items – water and uncooked white rice.
This makes the recipe extremely quick and convenient since there is nothing else involved except adding the necessary seasonings, such as soy sauce or sesame oil, etc., to enhance the flavor.
This recipe was created by Chef Roger Vergara who has been working with food all his life.
He started at the age of 13 when he began cooking for himself and later on worked with other chefs before opening up his own restaurant.
He created this recipe after discovering that many Chinese restaurants were using pre-cooked frozen rice instead of fresh ones which meant less work for their customers.
What Are The Ingredients In Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice Recipe?
The main ingredient of the fried rice recipe in this article is chicken.
The other main ingredients include mushrooms and green onions or scallions.
There are also some vegetables such as carrots, peas, and bell peppers.
You may add more vegetables if you want to change up the flavor of the fried rice.
There are also two types of sauces for the fried rice recipe – fish sauce (or oyster sauce) and soy sauce.
Fish sauce contains salt and umami flavors while soy sauce has savory and sweet tastes.
Both of these sauces give the fried rice an extra kick when eaten together.
Lastly, there are spices such as garlic powder, ground ginger, pepper, cayenne pepper, white pepper, onion powder, and crushed red pepper flakes.
These spices are used to enhance the taste of the fried rice.
You can use any variety of meat depending on what kind of meal you plan to cook.
However, using boneless skinless chicken breasts is recommended because they won’t dry out during cooking.
How Long Does It Take To Make Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice?
Making Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice is easy enough for anyone with basic cooking skills.
All you need is some rice (either basmati or jasmine), eggs, onions, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, vegetable oil, corn starch, salt, pepper, and cilantro.
You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand as well.
There are no exact measurements here because different people may prefer slightly different amounts of each ingredient based on their taste preferences.
The total amount of time needed depends on how hungry you are when you start making the meal.
If you want something quick but still tasty, you can make the whole process in about half an hour.
However, if you’re looking for something more elaborate, then you might want to spend at least 2 hours preparing this dish.
The longer the preparation takes, the better the end result.
Things you’ll need for uncle rogers’ fried rice recipe
- A large pot
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basmati rice
- Chicken broth
- Green bell peppers
- Red bell peppers
- Soy sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Minced Garlic / Onion
- Vegetable Broth
- Chopped Cilantro
- Lime juice
- Tofu, cut into small cubes
What Is The History Of Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice Recipe?
The recipe was first discovered by chef Roger Vergara who used to work for the restaurant chain “Uncle Roger’s”.
The original recipe contained chicken but later on he decided to use pork instead.
He also added some vegetables such as carrots, peas, onion, celery, mushrooms, green bell pepper, etc.
to the basic ingredients which makes it more interesting.
He has been using the same recipe since 1973 when he started working at the restaurant.
Since then, many people have tried their hands on it and they all agree that it is one of the best recipes out there.
It is actually quite easy to prepare and takes only around 15-20 minutes to cook time.
You don’t need any special equipment or appliances to get it done either.
In fact, you just need boiling water, salt, oil, garlic powder, soy sauce, vinegar, black bean sauce (or hoisin sauce) and frozen broccoli florets! Not bad, right?
This quick meal is perfect if you are looking for something quick and healthy to eat while being on the go.
How Did Uncle Roger Come Up With His Fried Rice Recipe?
The name “Uncle Roger” may not ring any bells for some people, but it could mean something to others.
If you have heard about him, it might even make sense why he has such an impressive reputation as one of the best rice cooks around.
“Uncle Roger” was born on February 2nd, 1940, and grew up in Brooklyn, New York.
He spent most of his childhood trying to figure out how to cook perfect fried rice using only two ingredients — rice and vegetables.
His mother fed him fried rice every day when he had no other food at home, so naturally, he wanted to replicate her cooking method.
He began experimenting by adding different types of veggies into his fried rice.
After doing just about everything possible, he decided to add meat to the mix.
He started off simply by frying ground beef or pork in oil until browned.
The flavor of the meat would give the entire dish more depth.
In time, he added seasonings, spices, and sauces to create the signature taste of his famous fried rice recipe.
While many restaurants offer similar versions of fried rice today, few are able to match the original Uncle Roger’s version.
So if you want to experience what makes his fried rice special, read on!
What Is The Secret To Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice Recipe?
Uncle Roger’s fried rice recipe has been around for quite some time now.
The restaurant chain was founded by Mr.
Roger Naylor who started out as an owner of a Chinese food restaurant named “Naylors Restaurant” back in 1957.
After many years, he decided to open another restaurant called “Roger’s Palace” which became very popular among the locals.
He decided to expand into other restaurants and opened several more including Uncle Roger’s.
The first thing that caught my eye about the fried rice at Uncle Roger’s is how it looks! In fact, they serve their fried rice in large bowls filled with steamed white rice, topped with crispy pieces of egg, and drizzled with sweet soy sauce.
If you have never had fried rice before, I am pretty sure that this will change your mind once you try it.
So what exactly goes on behind the scenes when making Uncle Roger’s fried rice? How does one get such an amazing looking dish so quickly? Well, there are actually two secrets involved here.
One is the ingredients used while preparing the dish, and the other is the cooking process itself.
How Can I Make Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice Recipe?
Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice Recipe is one of those recipes that you can easily replicate at home.
The main difference between the restaurant version and yours is that you need to use instant noodles instead of rice.
But if you want to make it as close to the original as possible, here’s how to do so.
- Take out about 1 cup of uncooked white or brown rice from the package (you may also have leftover rice).
- Wash the rice thoroughly until there are no traces of starch on the surface.
- Drain all excess water by placing the rice into a strainer or colander over a bowl.
- Add 2 cups of hot water to the rice with 1/4 teaspoon salt and mix well.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer for 10-12 minutes until most of the water has been absorbed.
- In another pan heat up 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and add in onion, carrots, celery, garlic, green onions, and red bell pepper.
- Sautee them for 3-5 minutes before adding in mushrooms.
- Continue cooking until vegetables are tender.
- Add in chicken stock, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and sugar.
- Once everything is cooked, remove the veggies from the pan and set aside.
- Now, put back the same pan on medium high heat and add in 2 tablespoons of peanut butter while stirring continuously.
- Once the mixture becomes smooth, stir in eggs and cook for an additional minute or two.
- When the egg begins to scramble, pour in the remaining ingredients except for the peanuts.
- Stir until everything is mixed together evenly.
- Remove the pan from the stove and place it on low heat.
- Pour in the cooked rice and combine everything together.
- Now take off the pan cover and continue mixing the rice until you get a nice thick consistency.
- Then add in the reserved veggies and toss everything together.
- Finally, top the rice with chopped peanuts and serve immediately.
Tips for Making Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice Recipe
Here are a few things you should know when trying to make this recipe yourself.
- You can either use brown or white rice depending on what kind of flavor you prefer.
- Brown rice tends to give off more smoky flavors but white rice gives off sweeter ones.
- The best way to prepare the rice is to follow the directions provided in the box.
- If you skip this step, it could lead to unappetizing results.
- To save time, you can always order Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice online through their website.
- You can choose different types of sauces such as Thai curry, teriyaki, sweet chili, etc.
- There are even options available for vegetarian dishes.
What Are Some Tips For Making Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice Recipe?
When it comes to cooking, there are always going to be mistakes along the way.
Uncle Roger’s Fried Rice Recipe is no exception.
If you want to master this recipe, here are some of the things you should keep in mind before starting out.
- The first thing you need to do when preparing any Asian dish is read through the ingredients list! This helps ensure that you have everything on hand and that nothing has been left out.
- Next up, take note of how much water you use per serving.
- You don’t want the rice to get soggy or dry out – so adjust accordingly.
- Once you know what rice you’re using, start by rinsing it under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- Then drain the rice completely and set aside.
- After washing the rice, place it into a medium-sized saucepan with enough water to cover it by about 1 inch (about 2.5 cm).
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat and let it boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the stovetop and allow it to sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Then remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine all of the seasoning mix ingredients together.
- When they’ve combined well, pour them onto a plate.
- Take one tablespoon of oil and add it to a wok or large nonstick skillet.
- Once the pan starts smoking hot, add the seasoned rice and stir constantly until evenly coated with the seasoning mixture.
- Now transfer the contents of the wok back to the stovetop and turn down the heat to low.
- Let the rice continue to cook without stirring until the bottom is golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- While the rice is simmering, cut each piece of chicken into thirds.
- Now, slice each third lengthwise into three strips.
- Repeat with the other pieces of chicken.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet and once it’s smoking hot again, add the sliced chicken.
- Cook it until the white meat turns opaque and the juices run clear, about 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Transfer cooked chicken to paper towels to soak up excess grease while the rice continues to cook.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, pull off the skin and discard.
- Chop the remaining chicken pieces roughly and return them to the skillet.
- Lastly, add the onion and garlic to the skillet.
- Sauté for two to three minutes and then add the mushrooms.
- Continue sautéing until the onions become translucent, about five more minutes.
- Finally, toss in the vegetable stock, soy sauce, and cornstarch.
- Stirring continuously, bring the liquid to a full boil and then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer until thickened slightly, about four minutes.
- Taste the broth and season if necessary.
- Add the green peas and cook just long enough to warm them through.
- Serve immediately.
- wok pan
- 2 tbsp. Peanut Oil
- 5 Garlic Cloves smashed
- 1 Shallot sliced from the middle
- 1 Egg
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Spring Onion sliced
- 1 Red Chili sliced or chopped
- 4 Cups Chicken Flavored Rice day old works best according to Roger
- 2 tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp. Sesame Oil
- ½ tbsp. MSG
- Cook the chicken flavored rice according to package directions.
- Set aside the egg and egg yolk in a bowl.
- Heat a wok pan with peanut oil over medium heat. When it begins to smoke, remove the excess.
- Stir in the garlic and shallot. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the eggs until they are almost solid.
- Mix in the cooked rice with everything else.
- Combine the soy sauce and sesame oil in a mixing bowl. With the back of the spoon, flatten it into the rice.
- Combine everything in the wok, including the MSG, spring onion, and chili.