The grinders sandwich has been around since at least the 1950s when it was first introduced by restaurateur Harry Bertoia.
What Is A Grinder Sandwich?
Grinders are machines that cut meat into small pieces for sandwiches.
They’re used to create hamburgers or ground beef patties.
The most common form of grinders in restaurants use an electric motor to turn a blade-like cutter wheel through the food being chopped up.
Grinders can be found in many different places including bars, fast food chains, and even home kitchens where they’re often called grinder machines.
In addition to grinding meat, grinders are also used to slice bread and produce other types of food items such as vegetables, fruits, and cheeses.
There’s a wide variety of grinders available from simple models designed to chop up just one type of item like chicken breast all the way up to industrial sized devices capable of slicing up thousands of pounds of ingredients per hour.
One thing about grinders is that if they’re not cleaned properly after each use then bacteria will build up on them which could lead to cross contamination between various foods if they aren’t washed thoroughly before another food product comes into contact with them.
This means that if you want to make sure your grinders are safe to eat you need to keep them clean so they don’t get infected with harmful bacteria.
If you have a large restaurant chain, this might seem like overkill but there are plenty of people who would love nothing more than to bring their own homemade burger back to life.
So if you’ve got some spare time, why not take care of business yourself instead of buying pre-made burgers from your local grocery store?
How Do You Make A Grinder Sandwich?
Grinders sandwiches have been popular for decades but their popularity has surged over the past few years due to the rise of social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube where people share recipes and food photos.
The most common recipe for this sandwich uses ground meats like ham or sausage mixed with shredded cheeses like cheddar or mozzarella then layered on top of sliced bread.
Some restaurants also offer grilled chicken versions as well.
If you’re looking to try your hand at making one yourself, here’s how you can go about doing so.
- First, find a good quality grinder that will allow you to easily slice the meats into thin slices.
- Next, choose between using pre-shredded cheeses or shredding the cheeses yourself before adding them to the mixture.
- Finally, add the meat to the bowl and mix thoroughly until all of the pieces are incorporated together.
- When ready to build your sandwich press the two halves of the bread together and cut off any excess crusts from each piece.
- Add the meat/cheese mixture to one side of the bread and close up the sandwich tightly. If desired, use toothpicks to secure the sandwich closed.
- Place the sandwich onto a plate and serve!
What Are The Ingredients In A Grinder Sandwich?
In order to understand how to make a grinder sandwich we must first know what an actual grinder sandwich looks like.
This means that we need to look into the ingredients used for this particular sandwich.
A typical grinder sandwich includes sliced meats (usually ham or salami) on top of bread, which is then covered in melted cheese.
The sandwiches are sometimes served cold but they can also be heated up as well.
You might find some variations on these basic ingredients, such as adding mustard, mayonnaise, or ketchup to the sandwiches, but these are not common additions.
- Sliced ham is usually placed onto the bottom half of the slice of bread.
- The other half of the slice of bread is spread out so that there’s enough room for the cheese to melt over the meat.
- Once the cheese has fully melted, more slices of ham are added on top of the melted cheese.
- This type of sliced meat comes from Italy and it’s often referred to as “Italian sausage.” Salami tends to have larger pieces than most types of ham.
- It’s important to note that although salami is typically found in Italian-style restaurants, it is possible to purchase it in grocery stores.
- When making your own version of a grinder sandwich, you will want to use a thicker piece of bread in order to create a sandwich that holds its shape better while being eaten.
- Cheddar cheese is the most popular choice for people who enjoy their grinder sandwiches.
- There are many varieties of cheddar cheese available, including American, sharp, and extra sharp. All three styles work equally well in a grinder sandwich.
- If you don’t care about getting creative with your cheeses and would rather just stick to one kind, then go ahead and choose cheddar cheese.
- Any style of white bread works best in a grinder sandwich because this type of bread doesn’t get soggy easily when it gets wet.
- Most people prefer using thin slices of white bread instead of thick ones due to the fact that thinner bread is easier to eat.
- Thick slices of bread tend to fall apart when cut too thinly.
- Many people add toppings to their grinder sandwiches. These include things like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, pickles, olives, etc.
- These items can all be chopped up and mixed together before they are put on top of the sandwiches.
Why Is A Grinder Sandwich Called A Grinder Sandwich?
A grinder sandwich is a type of sandwich that’s often found on menus throughout New York City.
The sandwich comes from Italian-American cuisine and features meats like ham, salami, and cheese.
Bertoia created the dish as an homage to his native Sicily where he learned how to make meat sandwiches using a special kind of grinding machine known as a grinder.
Grinders were used to cut up whole pieces of meat into slices or shreds for use in meat dishes.
While the exact origin of the name “grinder sandwich” isn’t clear, some believe it came about because the original grinders used to create this particular food item resembled small cutting wheels attached to handles.
Other sources say the term originated after Bertoia saw a similar machine being used to grind coffee beans.
Regardless of its origins, one thing is certain – there’s no better way to start your morning than with a delicious grinders sandwich!
How Did The Grinder Sandwich Come To Be?
A grinder sandwich can trace its origins back to at least 1955 when Harry Bertoia opened his restaurant in San Francisco’s North Beach neighborhood. He served sandwiches on Italian bread that were sliced using a special slicer designed for this purpose.
This led to the name “grinder sandwich” because these sandwiches were so popular they had to be cut into slices using a grinder machine.
Harry Bertoia died in 1972 but his company continued making grinders until 1974 when the company closed down.
Some years later, the brand resurfaced under different ownership where it remains today.
Nowadays, you’ll find grinders sold as part of deli counters or even standalone machines.
Features of the grinders sandwich
- Italian-style bread
- Ham, turkey, chicken, bacon, roast beef, sausage, salami, pepperoni, capicola, mortadella, provolone, Swiss, cheddar, mozzarella, brie, feta, gouda, parmesan, pecorino romano, fontina, blue cheese, cream cheese, goat cheese, red onion, green peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, tomato sauce, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, pickles, hot dogs, onions, eggs, and more
- Grind your own meat if desired
What Is The History Of The Grinder Sandwich?
In 1948, restaurateur Harry Bertoia opened one of his restaurants in New York City called “Berto’s Restaurant.”
The restaurant featured an appetizer known as a “Grindler Sandwich.”
This sandwich consisted of two slices of bread, each topped with two different kinds of meat — ham, bacon, or sausage.
Then there would be a layer of Swiss cheese on top of this stack.
Finally, a slice of American cheese would be placed over all three items.
These sandwiches were then served in a special grill oven that resembled a pizza-making device.
Today we know these sandwiches are referred to as “grinders” because they resemble the shape of a grinder.
Bertoia sold his restaurant after just five years but he continued to serve the Grindler sandwich until 1959.
He died shortly thereafter at age 46 from complications related to diabetes.
In 1960, the Grill House Cafe in San Francisco began serving grinders using ingredients similar to those used in Bertoia’s original creation.
Since then, grinders have become extremely popular throughout the United States.
Who Invented The Grinder Sandwich?
Harry Bertoia created The Grinders Sandwich in 1959 while working as an assistant chef for the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City.
He wanted to give his customers something that they could enjoy without having to leave their seats or go outside.
Bertoia’s goal was to create a new way for people who were dining inside restaurants to get food from a vending machine on site.
This idea caught on quickly and soon other restaurant chains began offering similar machines.
In addition to being able to order sandwiches using cash, these machines also offered drinks, chips, candy bars, and even hot dogs!
As time passed, more and more places started selling the grinders sandwich.
They became so popular that many have now become part of American culture.
Today you can find them anywhere from fast food joints to fine dining establishments.
Grinders Sandwiches contain all sorts of ingredients including meat, cheese, vegetables, sauces, toppings, and bread.
Each place makes its own unique version of this delicious treat.
Some common flavor combinations include turkey, bacon, Swiss cheese, mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, pickles, and jalapeños.
You might be wondering what exactly goes into making a grinders sandwich.
Read on to discover how one classic recipe works.
What Are Some Different Ways To Make A Grinder Sandwich?
There’s no one way to make a grinder sandwich.
You can make your own version or you can buy an authentic one from a restaurant or deli that specializes in them.
If you want to replicate this classic dish yourself, here are a few different options for how to do so.
- Make your own grinders sandwich using ground meats such as sausage, pepperoni, bacon, etc.
- Use store-bought pre-formed meat products like sliced beef, turkey, chicken, etc.
- Buy prepared grinders sandwiches from a grocery store or deli
- Order a grinders sandwich online and have it delivered right to your door.
What Are Some Creative Ways To Serve A Grinder Sandwich?
A grinder sandwich can be served as an appetizer or main dish depending on how you prepare it.
- Grind your own meats in a food processor before adding them to the sandwich.
- Use fresh ingredients that will complement each other well, such as grilled vegetables for sandwiches like a BLT.
- Make sure to use quality meat products for this type of sandwich.
- Substitute cheese and/or lettuce leaves with herbs if necessary.
- Add crunchy toppings to create more variety, such as sun-dried tomatoes, olives, pickles, and capers.
Sliced Grinders Sandwich Recipe
This sandwich takes advantage of the versatility of sliced bread and uses all natural ingredients to create a delicious meal.
This recipe makes four servings.
For best results, slice the bread ahead of time so that it’s not too soft when assembling the sandwich.
(4) slices whole wheat bread (cut into 4 equal parts)
1 pound ground beef
¼ cup olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
⅛teaspoon black pepper
6 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
8 ounces thinly sliced deli roast beef
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, olive oil, salt, and pepper until fully combined.
Divide mixture evenly among the 4 pieces of bread.
Next, layer 2 slices of provolone over 1 piece of bread followed by 2 slices of roast beef, then sprinkle with the onions.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 for remaining 3 pieces of bread.
Wrap the sandwiches tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or freeze up to one week.
To reheat, place wrapped sandwiches in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes per side.
What Are Some Tips For Making The Perfect Grinder Sandwich?
When you’re looking for the best place to get your next grinder sandwich, make sure that it isn’t just any old place.
You want the best possible service from someone who knows what they’re doing.
If you can’t find one near you in person, there are plenty of places online where you can order your sandwiches.
Make sure that you know exactly how much meat or other ingredients you need before placing an order so that you don’t run out while waiting on them to be delivered to you.
And if you have any dietary restrictions, make sure to specify those as well.
If you aren’t able to visit your local grocer, then you may also consider ordering from a delivery company like GrubHub or Seamless.
These services will deliver your sandwich right to your door without having to worry about getting sick.
While you might not think that these types of restaurants would be the ideal place to go for a good meal, they actually do offer great food options.
For instance, if you’re gluten-free, you should check out the menu at The Gluten Free Grill which offers over 200 different items including salads, wraps, soups, and burgers.
Or try the vegan option at Viva Vegan Cafe.
- 1 Toaster Oven
- 2 Hoagie rolls
- 1 Slices Cheese
- 1 Slices Deli meats
- 1 Heirloom tomato sliced thickly
- 1 Ripe Hass avocado thinly sliced
- Open the toasted rolls, spread the remaining butter inside, and then top with the desired meats and cheeses.
- Slices of tomato, avocado (if used), and the grinder salad should be placed on top of the sandwich after it has been toasted once more under a low broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Enjoy your sandwich by folding the top of the bread over it and pressing it down.